Kuribo [old account]

Bullied Student Penalised for Recording Attackers

Kuribo [old account]

Shocking abuse from education and law enforcement authorities. This is beyond disgraceful. An innocent young person with developmental disabilities who recorded evidence of extreme harassment at school was charged with felony wiretapping and while this charge was dropped, was later found guilty of disorderly conduct.

I cannot believe that authorities which supposedly exist to protect the vulnerable would allow bullshit like this to happen.

http://aattp.org/special-ed-student-who-recorded-bullies-tormenting-him-accused-of-felony-wiretapping/

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/society/special-ed-student-recorded-bullies-accused-felony-wiretapping/

Xenolith

I think this issue is just one example of a much wider issue in today's society, particularly prevalent in the United States, namely our attitude towards whistleblowers. It's a difficult issue because often illegal methods have to be used in order to uncover much greater faults. In my view, there is not nearly enough protection for whistleblowers and they should be regarded more as heroes than traitors or criminals. The issue is getting increasingly more serious as a result of intellectual property and proprietary laws being pushed through parliaments (especially the US congress) by corporations. The whole Edward Snowdon issue is a perfect example of why this is a problem. Many people are regarding him as a traitor when he's actually given up his entire career for the sake of informing the public about government surveillance, which is a heroic action if there ever was one although the principle is just as applicable to this case.

With regard to this issue, I'm slightly alarmed about some of the reporting. I don't really like the emphasis they're putting on the student's learning difficulties. The fact that this student has learning disabilities is completely irrelevant and immaterial. The important thing is that the boy was being abused and he is being persecuted for reporting this, not the fact that he's disabled.

To be quite honest, the general public is to blame to a certain degree for issues like this. The unfortunate fact is that most people really don't care about issues like these. These laws have been around for a long time and they've never faced a lot of opposition in the public domain, possibly because a lot of the applications are in corporate law which a lot of people simply accept. There's also a strong component that most people (including lawmakers) are uninformed about the implications of these anti-whistleblowing laws so they simply accept the propositions of corporations because these laws help maintain profits. If people opposed these laws en-masse, they would be changed. But there's barely any opposition to them.

Edited by Chlorophile

Smithy The Wizard

This is just awful. The principal should have been fired and the bullies should be expelled. The kid was being abused, nothing was being done about it, so he took matters into his own hands and recorded them bullying him. Then the victim got in trouble because he was encroaching on the bullies'  privacy. What a load of bullshit! This is ridiculous! I hate it when things like this happen because it's just not right, this is so stupid. Other people have done this before and this never happened to them. Why is it happening to people now? That kid did the right thing, and it's stupid because he's getting punished for doing the right thing. It's just outrageous.

Sofi

That's awful :( 

It would be awful anyway, if student has disabilities or not. Bullying shouldn't be happening to anyone, disabilities or not. But it does make him more vulnerable. 

Also, unrelated but what is comprehension-delay disorder, like this boy has? I've never heard of that ever. I looked it up and it doesn't even seem like a commonly used term.... 

Dingo

This really blows my mind.  And it pretty sad that I knew this would be in the US before I even read it. 

I remember years ago there was a story, also in the US, where it was the faculty spying on students at a school that assigned students their own laptops for school use.  Each laptop was loading with software that let the school spy on the students at home by remotely turning on the cameras so they could watch the student.  One student was suspended or expelled for drug use that was witnessed on camera.  The drugs turned out to be M&M's.  When it came out, people were concerned that students may have been watched while they getting dressed and things like that.

Rich07

I feel sorry for the victim of the bullying. Disability or no disability, the bullies should have been punished. To feel that not even the teachers are your side is the worst feeling ever for any victim of bullying. A lot of legislation has been passed in the UK and the USA to deal with racism and now, in my opinion, more needs to be done to help protect the rights of those with disabilities. Bullying will continue to persist in schools if it is not tackled head on. Moreover, I hate the attitude that bullying can not be eliminated because it has existed in schools for a long time. A defeatist attitude will just allow the problem to get worst. 

DominikaCupcake

That's what happens when mechanical law and rules takes over the human empathy and common sense. I can't believe that something like that could happen. Looks like authorities don't care about what's right and wrong, but what they learn on the papers. What are they for in the first place then? This boy should get help instead of being attacked by authority.

Rocco

Kuribo. That's is most a most disturbing example of a misguided and broken legal system. Injustice such as this alway raises my blood pressure. This is where common sense and legal reform are desperately needed.

I must preface this with the disclaimer it is not a character attack per se, but the redress of commentary.

Chlorophile. Again with pollution of the site. edward snowden is an entirely different subject. I'm not looking for debate, but I must raise concern again for what appears to be regurgitated, absurd information you are posting on Asperclick. That guy is a fing traitor. He should be shot. Do you even remember Valerie Plame? The operations and people lives who were put in danger because of his actions... The incatracies of national security and anti terrorism surely elude your understanding. I'm not debating your intellectual abilities, just the... Not sure how to explicate. You have a great mind which is obvious, but it's like an unfinished pottery. Amazing in the creation and presence, yet unfinished, unrefined, not ready. As a metaphor you are valiantly trying to give water to the thirsty, yet from a mushy bowl of wet clay, not a hardened tankard. I mean no insult here. Sincerely. But to call snowden a hero is a (expletive removed) joke. I don't care one bit if my government spies on me to see if I am a terrorist, because I have nothing to hide. I am a law abiding citizen. Not a criminal. I understand people's concern for privacy, however my personal comfort In web searches and phone records is unimportant if this surveilance can stop ANY murder or killings, the next boston marathon or 9/11. If Buckingham Palace, London proper, the Eiffel Tower was the victim of terrorist activity... The countries would be enraged. If this could be prevented by a bit of unlawful surveilance by the government, but was not because some ACLU-like whiney little bitches didn't want their communications screened? There is a MUCH bigger picture I feel you are missing. You have only glimpsed fractions of the frame. I respect your interest in bettering the world with intellectual debate and ideals. Cherish your youthful innocence while you have it. The real world has a way of deflowering respectable idealism. This post about bullying isyncase in point.

This statement is not intended to be a personal attack, insulting nor inflammatory.

jenny.wren76

That is a terrible story. I don't feel comfortable commenting on it any further.

All of the comments directed at the U.S. have me feeling quite unwelcome and/or judged for being an American on this site. Just thought I'd let ya'll know.

Xenolith

Kuribo. That's is most a most disturbing example of a misguided and broken legal system. Injustice such as this alway raises my blood pressure. This is where common sense and legal reform are desperately needed.

I must preface this with the disclaimer it is not a character attack per se, but the redress of commentary.

Chlorophile. Again with pollution of the site. edward snowden is an entirely different subject. I'm not looking for debate, but I must raise concern again for what appears to be regurgitated, absurd information you are posting on Asperclick. That guy is a fing traitor. He should be shot. Do you even remember Valerie Plame? The operations and people lives who were put in danger because of his actions... The incatracies of national security and anti terrorism surely elude your understanding. I'm not debating your intellectual abilities, just the... Not sure how to explicate. You have a great mind which is obvious, but it's like an unfinished pottery. Amazing in the creation and presence, yet unfinished, unrefined, not ready. As a metaphor you are valiantly trying to give water to the thirsty, yet from a mushy bowl of wet clay, not a hardened tankard. I mean no insult here. Sincerely. But to call snowden a hero is a (expletive removed) joke. I don't care one bit if my government spies on me to see if I am a terrorist, because I have nothing to hide. I am a law abiding citizen. Not a criminal. I understand people's concern for privacy, however my personal comfort In web searches and phone records is unimportant if this surveilance can stop ANY murder or killings, the next boston marathon or 9/11. If Buckingham Palace, London proper, the Eiffel Tower was the victim of terrorist activity... The countries would be enraged. If this could be prevented by a bit of unlawful surveilance by the government, but was not because some ACLU-like whiney little bitches didn't want their communications screened? There is a MUCH bigger picture I feel you are missing. You have only glimpsed fractions of the frame. I respect your interest in bettering the world with intellectual debate and ideals. Cherish your youthful innocence while you have it. The real world has a way of deflowering respectable idealism. This post about bullying isyncase in point.

This statement is not intended to be a personal attack, insulting nor inflammatory.

Rocco, you are the most hypocritical person I think I have ever spoken to. You accuse me of being childish and offensive, and then you write an incredibly insulting and aggressive rant at me over private message, swearing profusely at me on multiple occasions, which is infinitely more offensive than anything I ever said. Now you're telling me I'm regurgitating absurd information, when you're the person who's saying things that are absolutely disgracefully inaccurate! If anyone wants to see the messages Rocco has sent to me, I'd be more than welcome to show them because I am fairly certain they go against the terms and conditions of this website.

Saying that someone who has sacrificed his life and livelihood for the good of democracy should be shot... how dare you? How can you have a go at me for being judgmental for using the word 'redneck' when you're the person condemning people to death for defending our freedom? Snowdon's revelations have put absolutely nobody at risk and I'm going to bet you've not actually read any of the documents that were leaked. The technologies the NSA was using never prevented a single terrorist incident. They have been proven to be completely ineffective time and time again. Its only purpose was to infringe on civil liberties. If there's anyone who's regurgitating absurd information, it's you. Because none of the accusations you've made are accurate in the slightest. You seem to be under this bizarre idea that your country is under attack from terrorists when in reality, the greatest threat comes from the very terrorist institution you're defending. 

I don't understand why you're being so aggressive or why you've decided that you've got a vendetta against me, but I would gratefully appreciate it if you could just grow up. I don't want to argue with people and I've asked you several times very politely to put this behind us, but you've rejected this on multiple occasions and continued to take shots at me. I'm sorry that I've gone a bit off topic from this thread but I'm sick of the things I'm having to put up with from Rocco.

Edited by Chlorophile