FireWire

Hearing voices

FireWire

Ok so I don't know if this has been talked about much on here if at all, but I was wondering does anyone else on here with Aspergers or Autism hear Voices?

For instance I will be sitting down on the sofa and I will hear someone call my name but everyone is iver out or sleeping when this happens and it spooks me big time. I also hear voices in my head it's like a thought that has been put there but not by me but it sounds like me, it is confusing and hard to explain. Sometimes ill end up having an argument in my head with it as it sometimes tells me to do stuff that I disagree with, I always win though as i am too stubon and set in my ways to let a voice boss me about. I told mental health about the voices as I'm under them for my depression, and I also told the lady that assessed me for Asperger's and they both said sometimes people with Asperger's will hear voices and that they will keep an eye on me and if it gets worse to let them know.

I'm just wondering am I the only one on here that hears voices?

This is really personal for me and its taken me ages to get to a point I feel comfortable asking people this question on here as I feel like I'm different and a freak sometimes because of it as I don't really know anyone else that hears voices and I feel alone because of it.

Thanks for reading :)

Sofi

Hi Chris - I am really glad you managed to post this, i know it is difficult when you feel you are the only one something happens to.  

I have experienced this a lot, ever since I was a child of about age 8. The type of voices have changed over that time though. When I first heard them at that age, it was a horrible screaming of lots of peoples' voices all at once and I couldn't quite make out what words they were saying. I have clear visual memories of times when I had that. As I got a bit older, I heard voices of someone I don't know, saying quite negative things and also telling me to do things but it feels as if it's my idea, so I know what you mean by that. I also had long conversations in my head and I don't know who with but I felt as if someone was putting in their part of the conversation and I was answering in my head. They were bad conversations, often giving me bad ideas and I got in trouble a lot. I used to freak myself a lot. I 'saw' different things as well at this time, which was really scary. Possibly more scary than the voices. 

I really don't know if the voices were due to my autism or not. As a child, perhaps, but as I got older, I feel it may have been more related to feeling  depressed. This may be the same for you as well? However, having autism is what started making me feel depressed....

Nowadays, I don't so much hear these voices. I still sometimes see things, but much less frequent. 

I also used to hear the voice of things I have previously heard from someone when in negative situations, which was more of a flashback type of thing so not technically related to my Autism. 

Andy

Voices in your head could be thinking allowed  as it always was with me I could have a conversation with myself and such conversation I understand are one of my methods of working stuff out where I will even talk to myself. But there is something else; sound how many of us perceive sound where any sound can come across as voices as what are voices if they are not sound, sound is not always fixed frequencies and pitch, sometimes it varies and one can hear voices when in fact they were never there. It's not madness it is just how some of us perceive sound, but I will say be careful to whom you might tell especially those of the mind profession as they seem to lack a grasp of physics and think everything is in the mind when it's not it's external.

But sometimes it happens, when I am perplexed with a problem, sometimes it happens, a voice, it seems just blurts out a word which I hear and this word answers my problem or at least leads to a solution. Where this comes from I have no idea, maybe it is in my mind, maybe it is spiritual, but it works for me, so I will not attempt to kill off what actually aids me.

But an interesting article about famous people who have admitted to hearing voices 

And more on it there within for your interest.

But also with interest, the mention of schizophrenia where perhaps you might like to understand the diagnostic criteria for autism can almost be schizophrenia and it was in the past many who were later found to be autistic to some degree were once labelled schizophrenic and there treated as such, but with the modern interest in Autism such diagnostic failures are becoming more a thing of the past and thankfully so.

And I have a friend labelled schizophrenic and he is well chewed up by the mental health system, but watching him I see Autism and I have told him and informed him of the similarity, which just makes him more angry at the mental health system.

But in common with my interest in genetics, an article on the link between the two 

Sofi
Voices in your head could be thinking allowed  as it always was with me I could have a conversation with myself and such conversation I understand are one of my methods of working stuff out where I will even talk to myself. But there is something else; sound how many of us perceive sound where any sound can come across as voices as what are voices if they are not sound, sound is not always fixed frequencies and pitch, sometimes it varies and one can hear voices when in fact they were never there. It's not madness it is just how some of us perceive sound, but I will say be careful to whom you might tell especially those of the mind profession as they seem to lack a grasp of physics and think everything is in the mind when it's not it's external.

But sometimes it happens, when I am perplexed with a problem, sometimes it happens, a voice, it seems just blurts out a word which I hear and this word answers my problem or at least leads to a solution. Where this comes from I have no idea, maybe it is in my mind, maybe it is spiritual, but it works for me, so I will not attempt to kill off what actually aids me.

But an interesting article about famous people who have admitted to hearing voices 

And more on it there within for your interest.

But also with interest, the mention of schizophrenia where perhaps you might like to understand the diagnostic criteria for autism can almost be schizophrenia and it was in the past many who were later found to be autistic to some degree were once labelled schizophrenic and there treated as such, but with the modern interest in Autism such diagnostic failures are becoming more a thing of the past and thankfully so.

And I have a friend labelled schizophrenic and he is well chewed up by the mental health system, but watching him I see Autism and I have told him and informed him of the similarity, which just makes him more angry at the mental health system.

But in common with my interest in genetics, an article on the link between the two 

Thanks for the links - that is interesting. I am going to look more at them.

There does seem to be overlap in diagnostic criteria for autism and schizophrenia. Willow did a video on that recently. I always say I don't care anymore, I am what I am. But, I worry to myself that I would have schizophrenia. Especially after these awfi; times of seeing these things which I have, along with the voices. I have had quite elaborate conversations, which have impacted on my real life so much, to the point I've got in trouble. There have been times I've felt so out of control of my actions because of it. That is quite personal for me to say. 

I am so glad I am not quite like that anymore. At the time, I felt I would never get out of it. Schizophrenia has so much stigma attached to it by society, sadly. 

FireWire

The voices were really bad for me as a child and growing up into my teens but I always thought it was normal it wasn't until about 2 years ago I told my fiancé that I hear voices and talk to them she then informed me that it isn't normal. Sometimes I get a nice voice in my head that helps keep me calm and talks to me about my interests in music and films but then there is that nasty voice that sounds like an angry version of my voice I won't talk to that one apart from telling it to sod off and leave me alone. Since I've been on meds they voices have calmed down a lot, the haven't gone but they aren't as intrusive as they once was. I still see things though like spiders running across the floor and I hate spiders so I always panic but then I realise they aren't real. But sometimes if I do see a spider I have to ask my fiancé if its really there as I'm unsure. I also feel like I'm being watched all the time and that I'm never alone, I've noticed when the voices start up the anxiety follows and the paranoia so I start freaking out, I also hate it that I see faces in objects like if I'm looking at the wall and I will see a face appear in the wallpaper and it will freak me out. I wonder with me if the voices and seeing things are linked as when one kicks off the other one normally follows.

Andy

When people have caught me talking to myself or vocally responding to a thought and questioned what I am up to, like, are you nuts talking to yourself I brazenly admit to talking to myself through the need to have some intelligent conversation on what is my interest where I generally find it deficit elsewhere. That generally shuts people up, admitting and being accepting, even proud of what one does and not seeing it as a negative.

iggy

Voices in my head were common when I was younger, but I think they were just my imagination creating people. I used to have conversations with them in my head, and occasionally a single sentence or word would slip out of my mouth at normal talking voice volume instead of being in my head. That is very awkward when people overhear.

Willow

I don't think I hear voices. I hear my own thoughts and they race through my mind quite often and it usually distracts me from other things like people talking to me - they'll say something to trigger a though and I'll continue in my head on a tangent and miss most of what they said from that point.

I've always given all of my soft toys voices and personalities. 

And I do see things, like faces on objects and walls and spiders - I too am terrified of spiders so that makes me panic. I sometimes hear noises that I think I perceive as voices, mostly later on at night/early morning though.

Sofi
The voices were really bad for me as a child and growing up into my teens but I always thought it was normal it wasn't until about 2 years ago I told my fiancé that I hear voices and talk to them she then informed me that it isn't normal. Sometimes I get a nice voice in my head that helps keep me calm and talks to me about my interests in music and films but then there is that nasty voice that sounds like an angry version of my voice I won't talk to that one apart from telling it to sod off and leave me alone. Since I've been on meds they voices have calmed down a lot, the haven't gone but they aren't as intrusive as they once was. I still see things though like spiders running across the floor and I hate spiders so I always panic but then I realise they aren't real. But sometimes if I do see a spider I have to ask my fiancé if its really there as I'm unsure. I also feel like I'm being watched all the time and that I'm never alone, I've noticed when the voices start up the anxiety follows and the paranoia so I start freaking out, I also hate it that I see faces in objects like if I'm looking at the wall and I will see a face appear in the wallpaper and it will freak me out. I wonder with me if the voices and seeing things are linked as when one kicks off the other one normally follows.

I also see spiders running across the floor. When I 'see' things, it is often animal or insect type of things in my room. Sometimes other things, like once I saw a cartoon cowboy. (Sorry if this makes me sound crazy, but just being honest). I also see the faces in objects things - one time I saw a character from a film on my bedroom wall over my wardrobe, it was quite horrible :( 

It does get worse with anxiety and paranoia - thinking you are never alone and that people are always watching you, so seeing a face on the wall is an extension of this, I guess :( 

Voices in my head were common when I was younger, but I think they were just my imagination creating people. I used to have conversations with them in my head, and occasionally a single sentence or word would slip out of my mouth at normal talking voice volume instead of being in my head. That is very awkward when people overhear.

I also did that when having had conversations in my head, I would give my reply out loud by mistake, which is a bit embarrassing I suppose. I still have conversations and speak my part out loud all the time, but I only do it when I'm alone and I'm fully aware I'm doing it. 

I've always given all of my soft toys voices and personalities. 

Me too - sometimes I talk as if I am the teddy. If I make up a voice for it in my head, I can talk exactly like that out loud. Even when I hear a voice on TV and I copy the phrase, I feel like my voice is exactly like it. 

Willow
Me too - sometimes I talk as if I am the teddy. If I make up a voice for it in my head, I can talk exactly like that out loud. 

Same :)