FireWire

Hearing voices

Heather
But also with interest, the mention of schizophrenia where perhaps you might like to understand the diagnostic criteria for autism can almost be schizophrenia and it was in the past many who were later found to be autistic to some degree were once labelled schizophrenic and there treated as such, but with the modern interest in Autism such diagnostic failures are becoming more a thing of the past and thankfully so.

And I have a friend labelled schizophrenic and he is well chewed up by the mental health system, but watching him I see Autism and I have told him and informed him of the similarity, which just makes him more angry at the mental health system.

But in common with my interest in genetics, an article on the link between the two 

It's kind of funny.. Before I was diagnosed.. the therapist who talked to me wrote a letter that I read later ( my mom showed me all the stuff after I was diagnosed/when she came across it again) and it said that I might possibly have schizophrenia because I had been observed talking to myself and so maybe I heard voices.  In the same letter he suggested I might have AS.  It turns out I had AS all along.  I don't think I hear voices though.  I just hear my own thoughts and respond to them and sometimes I speak them outloud or respond to them outloud.. and if other people are around they might look at me awkwardly. :P  But I think there is defnitely a link and I'm glad Willow did a video on it as well. :)

I don't think I hear voices. I hear my own thoughts and they race through my mind quite often and it usually distracts me from other things like people talking to me - they'll say something to trigger a though and I'll continue in my head on a tangent and miss most of what they said from that point.

I've always given all of my soft toys voices and personalities. 

And I do see things, like faces on objects and walls and spiders - I too am terrified of spiders so that makes me panic. I sometimes hear noises that I think I perceive as voices, mostly later on at night/early morning though.

Yeah that's me too I think.  I don't think I hear voices either but my thoughts race through my mind a lot and distract me too.  I have full conversations with myself in my head and what people say or things in the environment trigger thoughts too.  It's so hard to concentrate on the new thought and what someone else is saying. :(

I think all my soft toys talk with baby voice. :P  I don't think I've been that elaborate with it but I do sort of see them as having a bit different personalities depending on what they look like and how I connect that to a personality. :)

I don't see things much but sometimes I will feel like I see something moving and freak out but it's not there.  I also sometimes feel something crawling on me or tickling me or touching me but it's not there or it's just my hair or a sweater or something..

No ive never heard any voices or seen anything I didnt know what it was. I havent read of any of these things being associated with aspergers so I cant understand where a lot of you are coming from. I knew somebody who heard voices but he was a spiritualist and gave information he could not have known do I believe or disbelieve? I go with what I can see for myself so in that case yes it was amazing information but for myself no ive never heard any voices.

Yeah my boyfriend's dad was/is a spiritualist, he was really into it but they moved and he came away from going to the church and things but he still hears people talking to him and so does my boyfriend sometimes.  So there is that spirtual element as well.  Though my boyfriend has AS and his dad is probably linked/affected by autism but it's not just that I'm pretty sure.

Also I think that sometimes people are told things to help them along the way.. guiding angels or something.

Dragon Spirit
Ok so I don't know if this has been talked about much on here if at all, but I was wondering does anyone else on here with Aspergers or Autism hear Voices?

For instance I will be sitting down on the sofa and I will hear someone call my name but everyone is iver out or sleeping when this happens and it spooks me big time. I also hear voices in my head it's like a thought that has been put there but not by me but it sounds like me, it is confusing and hard to explain. Sometimes ill end up having an argument in my head with it as it sometimes tells me to do stuff that I disagree with, I always win though as i am too stubon and set in my ways to let a voice boss me about. I told mental health about the voices as I'm under them for my depression, and I also told the lady that assessed me for Asperger's and they both said sometimes people with Asperger's will hear voices and that they will keep an eye on me and if it gets worse to let them know.

I'm just wondering am I the only one on here that hears voices?

This is really personal for me and its taken me ages to get to a point I feel comfortable asking people this question on here as I feel like I'm different and a freak sometimes because of it as I don't really know anyone else that hears voices and I feel alone because of it.

Thanks for reading :)

your not the only one but i havent really told anyone but my most trusted freinds its very creepy isnt it!! :Sparky:  :Sparky: :Sparky:  

FireWire
your not the only one but i havent really told anyone but my most trusted freinds its very creepy isnt it!! :Sparky:  :Sparky: :Sparky:  

yes, i find it can be abit creepy at time's mostly when i'm sitting alone in the dark watching television then i hear this voice say my name or something, the lights don't stay off for long.

Dragon Spirit
yes, i find it can be abit creepy at time's mostly when i'm sitting alone in the dark watching television then i hear this voice say my name or something, the lights don't stay off for long.

i always think its mym mum calling me to come downstairs or somthing but it just turns out to be me and she keeps on saying oh i dident say anything! it soooo anoying lol

FireWire
i always think its mym mum calling me to come downstairs or somthing but it just turns out to be me and she keeps on saying oh i dident say anything! it soooo anoying lol

i'm the same if someone else is in the room/house with me, if i hear my name being called or something being said to me and i answer back then the other person say's they didn't say anything. makes me feel like a right idiot lol

Dragon Spirit
i'm the same if someone else is in the room/house with me, if i hear my name being called or something being said to me and i answer back then the other person say's they didn't say anything. makes me feel like a right idiot lol

then you are exactly like me!! howver it just like the talking to yourself thing but with wierd voices so i always find myself having a conversation with myself but im kind of answerd without realizing!!

FireWire
then you are exactly like me!! howver it just like the talking to yourself thing but with wierd voices so i always find myself having a conversation with myself but im kind of answerd without realizing!!

i often talk to myself, i've been doing it for as long as i can remember. and for the voice's i thought they were normal growing up so i didn't tell anyone, until i got with my now fiance and she informed me that it wasn't normal. but i'm so used to hearing voice's now i think it would be strange if they went away and stopped all together.

Nesf

I have conversations with myself in my head, and sometimes I have a voice repeating a word or phrase like an involuntary tic. Once or twice, before drifting off to sleep, I've seen something scary in my room that looked real, to the extent that I've got out of bed to get away from it before waking up fully, realising it's not real.

Willow
I have conversations with myself in my head, and sometimes I have a voice repeating a word or phrase like an involuntary tic. Once or twice, before drifting off to sleep, I've seen something scary in my room that looked real, to the extent that I've got out of bed to get away from it before waking up fully, realising it's not real.

I am exactly like this! Like, the whole sentence :P

waterboatman

Yes I hear voices, they are my own, or self generated dream image voices. Its quite normal for me to talk to myself, one part in my head the other spoken allowed. I have to keep it down now because of the thin walls and my neighbour.

My doll Annabel has her own voice as does "stick", my standing aid, it has a sock on its head which gives it a sort or teddybear look. Being on my own all the time, they are company.

I tell myself long and detailed stories, mostly in my head with a full cast of characters and voices, a lot of the time I am in the grey part of sleep between being conscious and asleep, so often the story has imagery as well.

When I worked my imagination was full of whatever project I was doing, I never stopped a project until it was completed, thats how I was very productive. 

Seeing images in clouds, wood, stone, the environment in general is good way to pass the time, the odd shades in twilight can be quite surreal.