Kuribo [old account]

Smilies/Emoticons on Autism Forums

Kuribo [old account]

This is a bit of a strange topic, but I'm curious to know what people think about the use of smilies/emoticons as a means of communication on Autism forums.

I've been told in the past that I over-use them and I've had people misinterpret the reasons for my use of them, but I personally consider them to be a great communication tool. One :) could sometimes be the difference between my interpretation of a post as friendly or hostile, and while I've gotten over this now, I do feel more at ease with people who use them a lot, and I'm able to understand the intentions behind their posts more quickly than I otherwise would.

What do you think about them? Do you find them helpful and informative when it comes to online communication, or are they (as some people have said) an unnecessary annoyance that make posts more difficult to interpret?

Edited by Kuribo
  • Helpful 3

Sofi

Chris made a thread on this once possibly.
I don't like overuse of them, it makes it more difficult for me. I don't understand why people are doing them a lot and I think people are sometimes making fun of me and patronizing me and just trying to cover it up with smilies. I never know what :P means in different contexts.
I only do :) or :( sometimes.  I don't mind if someone just does :) or :( to me. It's the other ambiguous ones that I don't understand. 

• Helpful 1

Wren

Chris made a thread on this once possibly.

I don't like overuse of them, it makes it more difficult for me. I don't understand why people are doing them a lot and I think people are sometimes making fun of me and patronizing me and just trying to cover it up with smilies. I never know what :P means in different contexts.

I only do :) or :( sometimes. I don't mind if someone just does :) or :( to me. It's the other ambiguous ones that I don't understand.

I do not like overload of smilies but one at the end does help me understand the tone of the message. I find :) for friendly, :( for sad, :o for shocked, :P for joking, :D for really happy or sarcastic.
  • Helpful 1

Nesf

I use them, but sparingly. I think they can be useful to show your mood sometimes, but an be misinterpreted, so I use them with caution. :D and :P are tricky ones which can be taken the wrong way.

Xenolith

I don't really like them. I used to use them quite a bit but not any more. Pure ASCII emotes (i.e. text emotes) are fine, but I really bitterly hate the yellow faced smiley icons that you get on all forums these days.

Edited by Chlorophile

lifeis

I'm posting on an old iPad and they don't always work for me.

King_oni

I like it if people use them, but some just seem a bit ambiguous... and if they're not and they state your intentions, perhaps you have the wrong kind of intentions or mindset to parttake in certain conversations.

The regular smiley seems fine, as is the one with a bigger smile  :D . One of those that seems ambiguous to me is  :P . From my understanding people often use this to show they're making a joke... but for some reason I see people using this smiley after every sentence... are they joking non-stop? Do they think they're making cheeky remarks all the time? I understand it breaks tension (especially the one with the tongue out) but perhaps it just feels like some people are hiding any awkwardness and insecurities with this smiley to mask it as a cheekiness.

And if you're a familiar face on certain forums and such and get more acquainted with certain users and have personal conversations, it feels a bit more... as if they still don't trust you with said comments and are afraid you'll interpret it wrong.

But in general, I think smileys are fine... and I might not like them visually... they do what they do. They have their use.

epiphanycakes

i perfer some i m ones that move , hmm i use them alot cus im not so expresive inperson

greenerthanyou

I feel like I have to use them from time to time, depending on what I am saying and who I am saying it to. I feel like things that are written can be pretty easily misunderstood as hostile when in fact friendly and vice versa. I'd rather be on the safe side and add an emoticon. Also, I tend to write in a way that comes off as aggressive, so I think I need to use emoticons. I was about to type that I wish I had emoticons to use in face to face situations, but then I remembered that I am supposed to use my face for that. Ha! 

But, I will say that sometimes, I interpret friendly emoticons as sarcastic or patronising, like someone is saying something mean to me then putting a smiley face after without explaining the presence of said smiley face. 

But in general, I think smileys are fine... and I might not like them visually... they do what they do. They have their use.

Well put.

Whoknows

Sometime I can use them. Sometimes, I can't.

Pinky and his brain

I like them because you can show emotions on a website. Clear text can sometimes seem agressive without being it. If you disagree with someone, they very quickly feel offended if you don't add a smiley to show that you're not angry.

But as with everything else, emoticons should not be over used. It'll just make everything harder to understand.

Maybe ASD sites should have their own very clear emoticons. Some that don't leave any doubt what the meaning is.

• Helpful 3

DominikaCupcake

Generally i always never use the smileys or emoticons, but sometimes i do it just for the rule: to not seem weird. Like when someone send smileys to me i will send them back, but overall i try to avoid using them. But i have nothing against them, i just don't always know when i am suppose to use them. But i am getting better at it. Want proof? See?? :) :) :)

King_oni

Maybe ASD sites should have their own very clear emoticons. Some that don't leave any doubt what the meaning is.

But that's pretty much the same issue you'd have with regular sites and emoticon use.

As long as everyone agrees upon some kind of universal truth to what they represent, there's no ambiguity. The problem is some people use emoticons and they don't even know how said emoticon is being perceived by others

I mean, an example would be this one;  :wacko: what does it mean to you? And what does it mean to me? The fact that the shortcode for this emoticon is "wacko" doesn't help me out either... for what it's worth I could make such a face when I feel sick, though it can also be interpreted as a figurative version of feeling sick (as in "this comment is sick")... and I"m not even sure if my, or your interpretation would be the one intended the person who designed this emoticon initially..

Pinky and his brain

But that's pretty much the same issue you'd have with regular sites and emoticon use.

As long as everyone agrees upon some kind of universal truth to what they represent, there's no ambiguity. The problem is some people use emoticons and they don't even know how said emoticon is being perceived by others

I mean, an example would be this one;  :wacko: what does it mean to you? And what does it mean to me? The fact that the shortcode for this emoticon is "wacko" doesn't help me out either... for what it's worth I could make such a face when I feel sick, though it can also be interpreted as a figurative version of feeling sick (as in "this comment is sick")... and I"m not even sure if my, or your interpretation would be the one intended the person who designed this emoticon initially..

That is exactly why I wrote that ASD sites (maybe) should only use emoticons that are not ambiguous. The "wacko" emoticon is highly ambiguous. Some would even see it as an insult. (And yes, I know that we cannot change regular sites. But we could change ASD sites if people thought it was a good idea).

The only emoticons that I don't think are ambiguous are these: :);):P:lol::(B):angry::blush: . The rest of them could easily be misinterpreted. But that's only my opinion.

greenerthanyou

:blush:

I understand the rest, but this one confuses me. What does it mean? 

• Helpful 1

Pinky and his brain

I understand the rest, but this one confuses me. What does it mean? 

It means to be embarrassed. (getting a red face, or blushing)

greenerthanyou

It means to be embarrassed. (getting a red face, or blushing)

Ah ok cool, thanks.

Spike Cooksley

I use emoticons all the time, and I appreciate others using then so I can tell if they're being serious or not! :-) I often find I can communicate better via text than in person.

mysti

I find them useful for helping to tell the tone of a post

Dingo

I find them helpful when other people use them, but beyond what is kind of the basic four that I think of, I get lost and confused.  :) is happy. :( is sad. :D is very happy or something else that I understand but can't describe.  :P is jokey or playful or something like that. I am really bad at recognizing facial expressions.  That "50 Faces of Aspergers" video that Willow did made me feel so lost.  Watching face after face pop up I just kept thinking "that one has to be labelled wrong.  That one too!  And that one!  I don't think she did her homework."  But that is just me.  I am horrible with faces.  Usually I try to figure out whether they are either happy, not happy, or pissed off.

But I don't use them because I don't understand when I'm supposed to use them and I never know if the face I choose is appropriate.  In a reply to someone here I was going to try and use one, but honestly thought they might think I was flirting or something, so I decided not to risk it.

• Helpful 1

Spike Cooksley

Lol, I gave up trying not to appear flirty years ago! Apparently there's a line between being nice and flirting but I'll be damned if I know where it is! :-P

Edited by Spike Cooksley
  • Helpful 1

epiphanycakes

often its when you get slaped in the face :lol:

• Helpful 2

Spike Cooksley

That has yet to happen! B-)

Monoamine

I find them helpful when other people use them, but beyond what is kind of the basic four that I think of, I get lost and confused.  :) is happy. :( is sad. :D is very happy or something else that I understand but can't describe.  :P is jokey or playful or something like that. I am really bad at recognizing facial expressions.  That "50 Faces of Aspergers" video that Willow did made me feel so lost.  Watching face after face pop up I just kept thinking "that one has to be labelled wrong.  That one too!  And that one!  I don't think she did her homework."  But that is just me.  I am horrible with faces.  Usually I try to figure out whether they are either happy, not happy, or pissed off.

But I don't use them because I don't understand when I'm supposed to use them and I never know if the face I choose is appropriate.  In a reply to someone here I was going to try and use one, but honestly thought they might think I was flirting or something, so I decided not to risk it.

I felt the same way about the video you mentioned. But I think it can go both ways; some of the ones people posted may not have been an accurate representation of the emotion they thought they were portraying.

I try to use just the basic emoticons you listed, and even then I think about it before adding it in. It's hard to tell what another person might interpret from it.

• Helpful 1

RiRi

This is a bit of a strange topic, but I'm curious to know what people think about the use of smilies/emoticons as a means of communication on Autism forums.

I've been told in the past that I over-use them and I've had people misinterpret the reasons for my use of them, but I personally consider them to be a great communication tool. One :) could sometimes be the difference between my interpretation of a post as friendly or hostile, and while I've gotten over this now, I do feel more at ease with people who use them a lot, and I'm able to understand the intentions behind their posts more quickly than I otherwise would.

What do you think about them? Do you find them helpful and informative when it comes to online communication, or are they (as some people have said) an unnecessary annoyance that make posts more difficult to interpret?

I probably overuse smileys, I can't recall being told that I do, but I'm sure I do sometimes. However, when a person makes a comment about why I put a smiley there, no matter how far off during our conversation whether it's im or pm, I stop using them and it takes me a while to start using the smileys with this particular person, if I ever do use the smileys with them. Also, if the person doesn't use them, I try not to use them as much. But, I do agree that sometimes it helps distinguish a hostile or not message. I find them helpful.