Kuribo [old account]

Smilies/Emoticons on Autism Forums

Kuribo [old account]

This is a bit of a strange topic, but I'm curious to know what people think about the use of smilies/emoticons as a means of communication on Autism forums.

I've been told in the past that I over-use them and I've had people misinterpret the reasons for my use of them, but I personally consider them to be a great communication tool. One :) could sometimes be the difference between my interpretation of a post as friendly or hostile, and while I've gotten over this now, I do feel more at ease with people who use them a lot, and I'm able to understand the intentions behind their posts more quickly than I otherwise would.

What do you think about them? Do you find them helpful and informative when it comes to online communication, or are they (as some people have said) an unnecessary annoyance that make posts more difficult to interpret?

Edited by Kuribo

Sofi

Chris made a thread on this once possibly.
I don't like overuse of them, it makes it more difficult for me. I don't understand why people are doing them a lot and I think people are sometimes making fun of me and patronizing me and just trying to cover it up with smilies. I never know what :P means in different contexts.
I only do :) or :( sometimes.  I don't mind if someone just does :) or :( to me. It's the other ambiguous ones that I don't understand. 

Chris made a thread on this once possibly.

I don't like overuse of them, it makes it more difficult for me. I don't understand why people are doing them a lot and I think people are sometimes making fun of me and patronizing me and just trying to cover it up with smilies. I never know what :P means in different contexts.

I only do :) or :( sometimes. I don't mind if someone just does :) or :( to me. It's the other ambiguous ones that I don't understand.

I do not like overload of smilies but one at the end does help me understand the tone of the message. I find :) for friendly, :( for sad, :o for shocked, :P for joking, :D for really happy or sarcastic.

Nesf

I use them, but sparingly. I think they can be useful to show your mood sometimes, but an be misinterpreted, so I use them with caution. :D and :P are tricky ones which can be taken the wrong way.

Xenolith

I don't really like them. I used to use them quite a bit but not any more. Pure ASCII emotes (i.e. text emotes) are fine, but I really bitterly hate the yellow faced smiley icons that you get on all forums these days.

Edited by Chlorophile

lifeis

I'm posting on an old iPad and they don't always work for me.

King_oni

I like it if people use them, but some just seem a bit ambiguous... and if they're not and they state your intentions, perhaps you have the wrong kind of intentions or mindset to parttake in certain conversations.

The regular smiley seems fine, as is the one with a bigger smile  :D . One of those that seems ambiguous to me is  :P . From my understanding people often use this to show they're making a joke... but for some reason I see people using this smiley after every sentence... are they joking non-stop? Do they think they're making cheeky remarks all the time? I understand it breaks tension (especially the one with the tongue out) but perhaps it just feels like some people are hiding any awkwardness and insecurities with this smiley to mask it as a cheekiness.

And if you're a familiar face on certain forums and such and get more acquainted with certain users and have personal conversations, it feels a bit more... as if they still don't trust you with said comments and are afraid you'll interpret it wrong.

But in general, I think smileys are fine... and I might not like them visually... they do what they do. They have their use.

epiphanycakes

i perfer some i m ones that move , hmm i use them alot cus im not so expresive inperson

greenerthanyou

I feel like I have to use them from time to time, depending on what I am saying and who I am saying it to. I feel like things that are written can be pretty easily misunderstood as hostile when in fact friendly and vice versa. I'd rather be on the safe side and add an emoticon. Also, I tend to write in a way that comes off as aggressive, so I think I need to use emoticons. I was about to type that I wish I had emoticons to use in face to face situations, but then I remembered that I am supposed to use my face for that. Ha! 

But, I will say that sometimes, I interpret friendly emoticons as sarcastic or patronising, like someone is saying something mean to me then putting a smiley face after without explaining the presence of said smiley face. 

But in general, I think smileys are fine... and I might not like them visually... they do what they do. They have their use.

Well put.

Whoknows

Sometime I can use them. Sometimes, I can't.