aspiesw

Should I disclose my Aspergers to an employer

Kaygee

Interviews are tricky, I would suppose. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience to tell you about, as I was not aware that I had Aspergers in all of my previous interviews.

I found out about my Aspergers a little under two years ago. I have been at my present job for more than six years.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I created a thread about work, and the troubles that I was having, in this very forum a couple of weeks ago. These turn of events led to my disclosure. That thread is titled "Need help @ Work".

I am not happy about disclosing it! It will always be a deciding factor in any promotion, review, or move that I am considered for. It is an inevitable truth!

I just needed my company to know that if they hear something about my social skills, or if I am described as "defiant" (as I am very often described), that they may want to get my side of the story first, before they go writing me up or something.

My manager knew since the day I was diagnosed, but she never told anyone. But she kept "forgetting" that I had it, which led to our constant miscommunication. This is one of the reasons that I went "live" with it to HR.

After I told HR, and they sat with my manager, I had an extremely uncomfortable meeting with my manager. But in that meeting, she said that she thinks that I did the right thing by disclosing this to HR. She said, "What if something happened and I wasn't here to explain to them that you have Aspergers? It's better than HR knows so the issue never gets out of hand before it can be resolved."

But now, things are being brought to the fore-front that I don't care about!

During my meeting with my manager, after my disclosure, my manager asked, "do you need your desk moved?"
I said, "I really don't need all of these accomadations. I just need you to understand."
She said, "Yeah, but you are always wearing your sunglasses in work. Do you want your desk moved?"
I said, "I wear my sunglasses in work, because you put me in the desk, right next to the window. You were well aware that the sun bothers me, and you were well aware that I wear sunglasses inside because of it. When you made the new seating chart, you said to me, and I quote, "are you going to complain about sitting near the window?" I don't want to be looked at as someone who complains."
She said, "C'mon Ken. Don't do that to me."

Me: "Don't do what? You said that. And because you said that, I kept my mouth shut and just deal with it."
Manager: "Ok, well do you want me to move your desk?"
Me: "No! We will have to uproot someone else just to move my desk. And in order for all of my sensory issues to be addressed, I do not even see a place in my department where I could move to."
Manager: "Ok, so do you want to sit in another department?

OMG!!! OMG!! STOP IT!!!

So, take these types of conversations in consideration if you disclose, as you may be forced into them.

Kaygee

One other thing that you may want to take into account is that there are a lot of Brits/Europeans on this forum. I am not sure where you are from, but if you are from the USA, Aspergers is NOT tolerated or understood at all the way it is in Europe/Great Britain.

So take note of that when you take advice from people. They/I may not live in the same circumstances that you do.

aspiesw

One other thing that you may want to take into account is that there are a lot of Brits/Europeans on this forum. I am not sure where you are from, but if you are from the USA, Aspergers is NOT tolerated or understood at all the way it is in Europe/Great Britain.

So take note of that when you take advice from people. They/I may not live in the same circumstances that you do.

I'm from the UK. Birmingham, England.

Kaygee

I'm from the UK. Birmingham, England.

Well then, you're extremely lucky!

Maybe it would just be better to be honest about your strengths and weaknesses. Aspergers is just a label to describe those strengths and weaknesses so there is not really much need to actually say the word 'Aspergers'.

RubySeahorse

I ticked the "disability" box on the application form because of my ME and because they have a "guaranteed interview for disabled people" policy. found out about Aspergers during that job, but didn't want to disclose because of not having an official diagnosis, although I did tell them I had a "neurological condition I didn't want to disclose at that time". When appealing against my redeployment I quoted loads of the Disability Discrimination Act at them along with how it applied to my situation and it got me... precisely nowhere. In my current job I have not yet disclosed my AS, I assumed that my new boss would have access to the information about my health that my old boss had but I really don't know. And now my boss is changing I don't know if the new one knows anything about me at all (she's asked us to write down what work-related training we've had - surely there should be records of that available to her from the company side?!). I will disclose to her if my AS starts to cause serious problems at work, or if/when I get an official diagnosis. But until then I don't feel I have a firm enough foundation to base the explanations on.

Gerrymanders Pose

In my humble opinion i think you should keep the whole ASD thing nicely under wraps.

Miss Chief

I was hmmm 'paid to go away' from my last job, since then I have been off sick as my general mental health issues have got worse and I want to address them before I go back to work so that when I do go back it will be a permanent return rather than a few years before I end up off sick again and again and again...

While I have been off sick and getting help with my various issues I got diagnosed with AS.

Having had some time I have been able to reflect on prior work situations that went badly for me and now I know that those situations arose because of my AS. For this reason I would definitely inform any future employers about my AS, I wouldn't put it on my CV or the application but at interview I would tell them and I would even take some information leaflets and possibly even a short report on how AS will impact on me as an employee highlighting the positive as well as the area's where I may need additional support.

Also in the UK you aren't protected by the Disability Discrimination Act/Equality Act if you don't declare your condition, also a lot of employers are actually quite open to employing people who have conditions since they need to show that they are not discriminating so by having someone with a 'condition' on the pay roll it ticks a box for them. 

Certainly I have worked with people who have had much more severe/lower functioning spectrum disorders in previous companies.

But the reason I would be honest is that I know I would have avoided at least 3 major issues I have had at work over the years had my manager's known that I had AS and made allowances, in one case I was just giving off the wrong signals and it pissed off my line manager and I had no idea until she had made my life hell for 6 months and finally yelled at me about it and I was like "what?!" of course by then I already hated going to the office every day but if she had known I had AS she would have known that I might be giving off signals that don't mean what I intend them to.

Pharaoh_G

If the application doesn't mention anything about a disability, then I won't mention it on the application. I want people to see my abilities first, not my autism. However, it is important to let your boss know about your condition once you're hired, especially if you're put into social situations that you don't want to deal with (like crowded social functions with co-workers)

aspiesw

I mentioned it to SuperDry, and I've got an interview there tomorrow, I don't mind talking about my disability in person, as long as it helps me do my job, unlike my current job, where I'm just put on the till all the time