Guest Chris

What do you do?

Nesf

Tomorrow I start my new temp job. I'm waiting to hear back from one company and another called and said they needed someone ASAP but it was less than I was making previous but said ok as long as they know I'm waiting on this other job and if they call I'll be gone. It is only for a month or two and doing a specific task so should be good.

Good luck with that :)

史越瀚

I've basically been a perpetual student.  At 39, it seems I've ridden that for as long as I can, but am having difficulty making the transition into the "real world."

I'm a PhD student in Chinese history.  I've taken all the coursework, and did my dissertation research.  Now I just need to write my dissertation and find a job.  I think I will probably be able to write the dissertation.  But trying to find the job seems less likely.  I completely suck at any sort of "spontaneous" activity.  So the process of approaching others in my field, trying to "self-promote" myself, attending departmental events, etc is all overwhelming.  And unfortunately, my research is not so brilliant that I can be hired just on the basis of that.  (Also unfortunate is that a PhD in Chinese history is basically only good for landing a job in academia, so my options are fairly narrow.) 

I used to hate school, but over time, I came to like it a lot.  Especially once I found a subject I liked and I got into upper level classes in college.  I would treat each class as a "performance," thinking about what I would say.  As long as discussions were just related to the topic on hand, I would be able to survive.  This also worked for teaching.  But I never learned how to connect to others in a social way.  I never became friends with my classmates, my students, or the professors.  All I could do was engage in scripted conversations such as "What do you think about Scholar A's take on Topic 1? How is it different than what Scholar B  argued?  And what if we took scholar A's insights and applied them to Topic 2?  What would happen then?"   

My complete failure at the social aspect of grad school is one of the reasons it has taken me so long.  My research, in itself, is not amazing, but I do think it is better than some of my peers.  But because my peers know how to network, they have all surpassed me.  Now I have exhausted my school's funding, and also exhausted several other outside scholarships.  But I am still stuck at trying to make the transition out of grad school, to go from being "perpetual student" to a professor. 

Edited by 史越瀚

null

I've always worked in catering and have grown to hate it very much. I'm currently unemployed but hoping to go into support work for people with learning disabilities

waterboatman

Currently wondering what there is left that I could do, there has to be something?

I am on "support group ESA", and I really can not do much now unless dosed with an opiate, that renders my thought processes a bit to unreliable for important decisions, and makes me more likely to do damage to myself, through doing more than my body can really can handle. AAARRGGHH

Historically I was a Technical Consultant/Manager for a small software development company that supported two high profile industrial clients, then as industry crumbled just one.

Small computer orientated companies were plentiful when I started, and it was no barrier having no real qualifications, it was being already able to program and enthusiasm that counted.

I picked two both died a short while after I left them, first 18 months, second 15 years, from junior COBOL programmer and technical support (reseting settings on dumb computer terminals mostly), too writing very important software and heading technical support, it was a small company, the directors made the tea, my juniors smashed my car. I was thought to be a genius, I am not.

I was a carer for my mother in her last years.

Economically inactive since the age of 44. And only on benefits since July 2013, initially unemployment, October last year sickness.

I read the previous entries a while back, and thought I really do not have anything that compares, I still think what I have done, is really of no consequence. And now being of no use at all.

Bruce

Computer skills are always looking useful. There have to be some places that would give you a trial or something?

Aimee

I start university in September studying Natural Sciences. I'd like to work in research in the future - possibly for NASA as an astrobiologist :)

Dingo

I start university in September studying Natural Sciences. I'd like to work in research in the future - possibly for NASA as an astrobiologist :)

I had never looked into that before.  That looks like it would be really interesting.

Aimee

I had never looked into that before.  That looks like it would be really interesting.

It is! Or at least, I find it interesting. It's all about finding the limits of life on Earth and where life could be elsewhere in space. And a whole bunch of other stuff too :)

brokenOne

I acutally started working when I was 14 as a blacksmith at old Sturidge Village, then went on to other jobs, with my latest job of Civil Engineering wich also had Architectual stuff too.

Then I was Laid off with this American Depression.

Right now I paint houses , while going to collage for Environmental Engineering (also doing three certificate in "Green" energy/management).

thats epic, i find blacksmithing very interesting as i have a deep fascination for weapons and armor of ancient times.