Guest Chris

What do you do?

Pharaoh_G

I'm a graduate student, trying to get a MFA in Writing (this is my 3rd and final year)...and I sometimes write articles for online pulibications such as USA Today College, Yahoo!, and Back\Slash. Also, my girlfriend and I run an organization called Abilities of the Arts where people w/ unique abilities can submit artwork, videos, music, etc. to our website and we put them on display.

I wish I was employed though, as in working for publications and getting paid for it. I can't be a poor college student forever. hahaha!

Erythrura

I'm a part-time cleaner studying science at university. I once worked in retail, but it was so fast-paced, required short-term memory and strong communication skills and also the ability to remember faces, so I didn't last long. 

Whoknows

I'm in for Electronics Engineering, Programming, Physics, Energy Research, Music, Art, Architecture and Business Management. I almost forgot Economy.

I forgot to put sports. When available, I went to practice baseball, yet I have to try other sports. I have to swim, 'cause I already got beyond sinking.

mary

I currently work as a co-ordinator in palliative care.  Basically doing secretarial / administrative tasks for the department.  I have taken on large projects and run with the admin side of things since starting in this post.  Prior to this I was a medical secretary to pscychiatrists and also worked in a high secure mental hospital in various posts.

Prior to coming to the UK I had been in college and attained qualifications in Travel & Tourism whilst working in BigW / Woolworths (grocery / department stores).  I'll admit that I was quite happy working in the store as the pay was ok back then and the hours could be as many or little as I liked.  I didn't have to take stress home with me and it was probably the easiest job I've had.  Even though I was working with the public the interactions were so short it wasn't so bad.

On coming to the UK I had a job in a hotel working as a waitress and I wasn't really suited to that so much as I had to make more conversation, but I found the job easy besides that.  After my family moved over I moved up north and had various temping jobs in admin before deciding it was about time I had some stability in my life and got a permanent job.  I HATED temping with a passion as I really do not like going into new jobs, not because i fear learning the job, but more fear learning who everyone is and wondering if they 'get me' or not.  I just never knew why I felt like that back then!

Anxious

I started out as a Laboratory Technician which was mind numbing and a disapointment especially as i had wasted 2 years getting the A levels. Thankfully i was made redundant after nearly 2 years and i was unemployed for 6 months during the 1980's ressession.

I entred retail by getting a job in a department store in the furniture dept....I didn't have a clue what to do so i watched the other staff and how they sold stuff and just took the best bits from everyone and learned to sell. I really love it ...Wheras in life i'm not sure what to do or how to be , with selling it is just like a stage and i can be how i want without anyone critisising me.

I've been working in retail ever since... I also was the manager for Clarks shoes and Ravel shoes for nearly 12 years...to this day i don't know how i got away with it.

If i need to know how to do something i watch how others do it and adapt it to my own ends.

Andy

What do I do, currently nothing, am one one of the scapegoats, the unemployed, but all is not lost I hope to start a small business making metal jewellery as I have identified several fringe markets that will keep a lone craftsman in business, just as soon as I can do something about my confidence issues as I appear to have developed a fear of people these last few years.

I have been employed pre diagnosis, before I knew about this thing I have been a site engineer, an electro mechanical repairman, a plant fitter and I served in the military repairing aircraft for six years.

Willow
but all is not lost I hope to start a small business making metal jewellery

What sort of designs will you be doing?

Andy
What sort of designs will you be doing?

I am heavily influenced by the serpentine and spiral form and so jewellery based on ancient mediterranean area and Middle Eastern designs, aimed primarily at dancers and the alternative minded, but it will appeal to others as well, also metal clothing as a jewellery function and whatever else I may be asked to make as I make and I have made some odd things in the past. But I work in bronze, copper, anodised aluminium and recovered wrought iron I dig up out of the estuary where many wooden ships have rotted away from the past. I can work in precious metals but I would rather not as my aim is  affordable to most adornment as my ethos is adornment not portable wealth and big and bold with that.

Willow
I am heavily influenced by the serpentine and spiral form and so jewellery based on ancient mediterranean area and Middle Eastern designs, aimed primarily at dancers and the alternative minded, but it will appeal to others as well, also metal clothing as a jewellery function and whatever else I may be asked to make as I make and I have made some odd things in the past. But I work in bronze, copper, anodised aluminium and recovered wrought iron I dig up out of the estuary where many wooden ships have rotted away from the past. I can work in precious metals but I would rather not as my aim is  affordable to most adornment as my ethos is adornment not portable wealth and big and bold with that.

Hmm - sounds interesting :D

Do you have any photos of your work?

Andy
Hmm - sounds interesting :D

Do you have any photos of your work?

Old stuff only, as despite being a photographer, I always forget to photograph my work (more the case I think of get rid of it as soon as possible as I have taken as much as I have taken as much as I can out of the piece and when it is finished, I always think I could have done better, so get rid fast)

But ;

doingsr_zps6cb67762.jpg