brookeloveslotr

child like qualities in autistic adults

Little Pink Coupe

I'm 22 and I still love animated movies, plushies and certain toys (like Calico Critters, My Little Pony and die cast cars and planes). I also like TV shows like Doc McStuffins, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, DragonTales and Pound Puppies. I still watch Winnie the Pooh, sometimes, as well. :) To me, the adult world is full of such negativity...I haven't met a single person fully immersed in adulthood who has ever appeared (to me) to be having any fun or in a positive frame of mind.

brookeloveslotr

I'm 22 and I still love animated movies, plushies and certain toys (like Calico Critters, My Little Pony and die cast cars and planes). I also like TV shows like Doc McStuffins, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, DragonTales and Pound Puppies. I still watch Winnie the Pooh, sometimes, as well. :) To me, the adult world is full of such negativity...I haven't met a single person fully immersed in adulthood who has ever appeared (to me) to be having any fun or in a positive frame of mind.

I agree. I'm 20 and I feel that the adult world is so caught up in the issues and events of the real world that people who party, smoke or drink don't take the time to be imaginative or escape like children do. I love Winnie the Pooh btw, both the books and cartoons are adorable and entertaining :)

Xmas

I like to read children's books and am currently working my way through the readers that I learnt to read from in school - the reason is equally to do with nostalgia but I do like the innocent quality and insight of children's books. I like reading fairy tales, folklore, Enid Blyton, Paul Gallico and also girls horse and pony tales.

Of course I also read adult books of all kinds from Dickens to the Southern Vampire series, rock biographies to books on religious beliefs and poetry books.

Edit: typo

Edited by Xmas

Brandon Harper

I too have childlike qualities and look much younger than my age. I have only been recently diagnosed on the spectrum. My mother still does not understand it. I am getting resources mailed to me this week. 

It aggravates my mother that I still like dolls, toys, and child books/movies. I did start getting grounded at 14 for continuing to play with Barbies. I don't have them anymore. I was shopping with her a couple weeks ago and saw a cute plush dog. You got it for donating to charity. She only bought it under the impression I wanted to have it for my niece and nephew to play with when they visited. They visited once since I have had it and didn't even pay it any attention, since there are other activities they like doing when they visit. They are 4 and 5. I am 34. We took the kids to the park when they visited last week and my mom's eyes bugged out when she saw I started to swing on the swing set. I always loved swings. 

Fortunately my niece and nephew are trainable. Anytime they try to put an age bracket or gender category on an item I correct them saying anybody can like them. They are at that age where they feel the need to categorize the world and ask endless questions. 

Jonathan
On May 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM, brookeloveslotr said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed that a lot of autistic adults like myself tend to look or act younger than our adult age. When NT adults focus on more graphic adult subject matters, like going to the bar or attending a meeting, I admit that I have a lot of child like qualities, like looking a lot younger than 20, plus still preferring children's books and movies. I asked my family and friends if I should be worried that I'm still in this, and they told me to not worry about it and just be proud of who I am. So, I'm deciding to take their advice, but idk what really makes aspie adults act more like kids than adults..

To take this further, I still haven't lost my babyness features (looking young) in my face, so many people assume that I'm younger than 20 years old.

Maybe it has to do with genes, or something...

thoughts?

This seems pretty common among the others I have met. I'm in my 40's and often accused of being a teenager. I don't feel like an adult at all don't know what that's like.   Can't identify with an adult world so I withdraw into my own world. In my world I'm a kid I guess. That's how I see myself about 10-12 years of age with an adult size body doing some adult like things.    Honestly have learned to be happy with that. 

Gone away

I think the older I get, the larger range of ages I have to choose from. I can be anything from 5 - 50+.

Being mature is really tedious. I prefer being imature paired with the experience of age, but conversely, occasionally I feel older than I am

Edited by Going home

Jonathan
7 minutes ago, Going home said:

I think the older I get, the larger range of ages I have to choose from. I can be anything from 5 - 50+.

Being mature is really tedious. I prefer being imature paired with the experience of age, but conversely, occasionally I feel older than I am

Tedious and boring to be mature.  I've only felt older when I was young.   Now that I'm older I can't think myself as an adult I'm kinda stuck in feeling young.   I can't refer to myself as man as that just don't feel right or it seems awkward or wrong.    Don't fit in this world I guess. 

Gone away

@Jonathan I can certainly relate to 'The curious case of Benjamin Button' :)

Jonathan
20 minutes ago, Going home said:

@Jonathan I can certainly relate to 'The curious case of Benjamin Button' :)

I've said before I'm like the film "big". Lol

Aspergolfer

Me, I LOVE golf,  & have a child's enthusiasm for it, & a Tour player's demand for perfection. I would rather play golf than eat or sleep,  but I expect every round,  every shot to be good.