brookeloveslotr

child like qualities in autistic adults

Primeape

I like looking at toys and stuff when i go to a town with a nice sandy beach plus i was acting like a kid when in the sand 

Dr-David-Banner
On Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 7:31 AM, brookeloveslotr said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed that a lot of autistic adults like myself tend to look or act younger than our adult age. When NT adults focus on more graphic adult subject matters, like going to the bar or attending a meeting, I admit that I have a lot of child like qualities, like looking a lot younger than 20, plus still preferring children's books and movies. I asked my family and friends if I should be worried that I'm still in this, and they told me to not worry about it and just be proud of who I am. So, I'm deciding to take their advice, but idk what really makes aspie adults act more like kids than adults..

To take this further, I still haven't lost my babyness features (looking young) in my face, so many people assume that I'm younger than 20 years old.

Maybe it has to do with genes, or something...

thoughts?

If we bear in mind Asperger's patients couldn't be successfully schooled at mainstream school, being cut off at that early age is going to lead to delays in several areas. So often we were told how savant child pianists raced ahead of everybody else but we forget about the negatives. I mean, Michael Jackson was a musical genius but the delays in so many other areas caught up with him. With autism you may get delay in maths, maturity, personal self-care, emotional delays and so on. 

Aspergolfer

Same here. I'm 45 and just now sprouting a few silver hairs. I am often mistaken for half my age. I'm tiny too, so that may be a factor.

StormCrow

A little late on the conversation, but, I do look younger than I am. I'm not sure if it's a Tai Chi thing or just genes. 

I jut had someone say that he thought I was around 21 when i had my 36th birthday.