Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerrymanders Pose

Tell a friend about ASD?

Gerrymanders Pose

I told a friend i worked with about my Aspergers and now he treats me like like a simpleton which has hit my confidence a bit.

There needs to be much more awareness about the condition before you tell an NT.

pianissimo

Maybe before telling a NT friend about AS, talk about people who have/had AS. People like Newton, Michaelangelo and Mozart, people who are as far from being simpletons as possible. Then broach the subject of you having AS.

aspiesw

The way I tell people (one person) is by listing the things that affect me the most, they might notice some of my differences already, so I'll explain these traits to them first, and then talk about how they affect me, what they stop me from doing etc.

2takuya

I've told a total of three friends so far that I was in the process of getting tested, and two of my friends have been very supportive and have listened to me, I made sure to describe the symptoms and how they affected me, but I also made sure to explain how I've adapted in certain areas. Since they've known me for a while already, they weren't sure whether to believe me or not, but after I sat down and talked about it for a bit they could understand a little why I was getting tested (they also had no clue about AS before I sat them down to explain it). My other friend, on the other hand, told me she had a cousin with AS and that I was nothing like them, and went so far as to say I was "too normal" to have AS, which really sucked because if she doesn't think so then what are the clinicians going to say when I go in for my tests? 

But yeah, so I'd suggest just explaining how certain aspects of AS affect you, and I would imagine, if you also explained your strong suits he would treat you better. That's just a suggestion, because I obviously don't know the guy, but that response would make the most sense to me on how he would react, if he knew more about it.

Alex

My other friend, on the other hand, told me she had a cousin with AS and that I was nothing like them, and went so far as to say I was "too normal" to have AS, which really sucked because if she doesn't think so then what are the clinicians going to say when I go in for my tests? 

I have also been told that I seemed normal by people who had no clue about my struggles, which is annoying because they seem to think that they know me better than myself! But the thing is, AS shows itself differently in each individual, and some may have milder symptoms than others. So don't listen to what your friend said; Listen to the clinicians. They know better afterall :)

Nesf

I don't tell people I have AS, but sometimes talk about how it affects me without mentioning AS, things which they can notice for themselves. So I tell them I have difficulty communicating in groups, don't always pick up on jokes and how people are feeling, I have difficulty hearing over background noise, I'm sensitive to certain noises and some or too loud or hurt my ears, I find it difficult to talk to new people - but also that I I have a good memory, learn new things easily such as foreign languages, and have a good eye for detail :)

PandaPrincess

I would like very much to tell someone that I suspect I have AS, but I don't know who I can trust that wouldn't either belittle me, tell me I'm too normal, or tell me that I need to just get over the way I act and that it is just me making excuses.  Over the years, there have been a few of my friends who have told me that sometimes I act autistic.  For example, one time,  when I cut myself off in the middle of a sentence, my friend who has a nephew that has autism said that her nephew does that all the time.  A few times, when I was still going out with my ex-boyfriend, he asked me if I thought that I had autism, and he said that one of his ex-girlfriends has mild autism.  I never told him my suspicions though because at the time, I didn't even think that I had AS.  I thought it was just social anxiety.  Also, when I talk to other people, I don't know, I just think that sometimes they think that I have autism or something because sometimes people use a tone that sounds like a tone they would use when speaking to a child.  I notice this because I compare the way they talk to me to the way they talk to other people.  It's not like this all the time, however.  At least not from what I can tell.  I hate that people treat us as if we are stupid or as if we are little kids just because we're different from them.

2takuya

Dude, people used to talk to me like I was a little kid all the time! I never really thought about the fact that they might have thought something was 'wrong' with me. I did tell a friend recently about my suspicions and got a chance to go in depth about what symptoms affected me and she told me 'that actually makes a lot of sense and kind of actually explains certain things about you' so it was kind of cool to finally hear someone actually believe me and see it themselves. So if you were to tell someone you suspect my advice would be make sure you have examples, especially of situations in which the other person was involved.

DominikaCupcake

Yesterday i decided to tell my grandmother about AS. Right after that i understood that it was a wrong move. She told me that she knew someone who had an autistic son and that he looked "weird" as she said and even the saliva was dripping frothim his mouth all the time and that i can't be autistic in any way. I tried to explain what AS is, but it was pointless. Then she went to my mom and told her to talk with me to get this "AS thing" out of my head. The weirdest thing is that my grandfather (her husband) has so many aspie traits that i do believe that he could have AS.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.