aspiesw

Best and Worst Jobs for people with Asperger's Syndrome?

aspiesw

I was wondering what people thought were the best and worst jobs for people with Asperger's. Definitely one of the best is IT, where you can be left alone with a computer. Worst is retail, and I speak from experience, dealing with people, all the time, being on the shop floor/stockrooms with loads of people, having to talk all the time

epiphanycakes

lol constriction , sensory overload in under 30 secs with drills , hammers, roaring engines, metal banging   

L Lawliet

A busy office! Worst job ever!

Best job would probably be a library. Nice and quiet and you can read all day! :lol:

King_oni

Giving the topic a bit more though; as much as some jobs are better for some of us, I think there's also an aspiect where I think that it has to do with really specific details that might help  

For instance; I doubt I'll be good at just about any retail job, though if I were to sell something that I'm more interested in and would be a more specialized store (for instance; a modelling/gaming store), I might do a lot better. But perhaps some stores draw different types of crowds that have less issues with people that have some social interaction issues. Talking interesting;  once had a job as a telemarketeer, selling a product I didn't support at all. That by itself made my experience a lot worse than if I were to sell something I really would support. (though the fact that I might have such a bleak view and might not support consumerism in general, might color the notion of telemarketing as well... on top of the fact that I'm horrible at phone conversations and prefer written communication)

I don't think a library would be a good fit for me. I don't read as much and I'm probably way too hyper to shut up myself, lol. I don't even like to visit a library, let alone work there.

But yeah, I guess overall there are some jobs more suited for some of us, but it would depend highly on the person, especially if you consider the narrow interest field some on the spectrum have.

2takuya

I'll have to agree with King on this, it all depends on the type of person. I will admit that retail is a hard job, and half the time I just want to hide in the back so that I don't have to talk to people. But one of my interests is observing the behaviors and mannerisms of others, so working at a clothing store where people stop by all the time I get a chance to observe all sorts of people. On top of that, I love learning new things, and there's always something new to be learned working retail, especially since our loss prevention information is always changing, so I'm always having to set new things in that to memory, which is a good challenge for me. Another thing good about it is that the people I work with are highly supportive, so they're always willing to help out when you need it. I think it also helps that while I may have gotten AS from my dad, I got Extroversion from my mum, which really sucks sometimes because there's this constant war in my head because Extroverted people tend to be more social, so that part of me will talk to people at random, and the other half of me doesn't want anything to do with talking to people. In the end I talk about anything that is interesting me at the moment and so conversations tend to be directed towards the things I want to talk about.

But yeah, so jobs all depend on the persons interest, and I imagine that holds true not just for those with AS but for NT's as well. 

Ben

My sister has Aspergers and she's a Beauty Technician - now in my mind, THAT would be the worst job for someone with Aspergers, but she loves it. She also worked in retail as well for over ten years... 

Me on the other hand; my main reason for farming is so I can go and be a recluse somewhere and live with my cows. I'm the complete polar opposite to my sister - she loves being around people - she gets bored if she's on her own, but I just can't get on with too many people at once. I worked in retail and lasted six hours! Ironically however, I found bar work easier, and I lasted several months before my boss took me aside for that 'chat'. 

It just goes to show, that Aspergers or not, everyone is wired differently. 

iggy

I agree with what others have said, I think it would depend on what sort of things bother you, and what you're interested in. I don't think there's a "best or worst" job for a generic person with AS, but there would be for specifics.

I don't have a job, but I know working with kids or crowds would be pretty awful for me.

Ben

working with kids or crowds would be pretty awful for me.

+1 

In fact Santa offered me some relief work on his sleigh one year, and I told him to shove his job where the sun don't shine. I needed the money too, but I just couldn't cope with the kids. 

aspiesw

ronically however, I found bar work easier, and I lasted several months before my boss took me aside for that 'chat'. 

Why did you get sacked?