aspiesw

Best and Worst Jobs for people with Asperger's Syndrome?

PandaPrincess

I love doing art, and I am good at it too (everybody loves my work) but I am still not sure at how I will get a job.  I wanted to teach, but working with the kids and dealing with the other teachers is too overwhelming and exhausting.  

Nesf

Being a teacher can be both the best job and the worst job.

The worst job because you have to deal with:

- noisy kids, too much background noise.

- classroom management (discipline)

- lesson plans - a lot of organisation

- staffroom politics

- talk and interact all the time

- concentrate all the time - can't let your guard down

- being inspected by the Powers That Be and observed while teaching

But you don't have to work in a school, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on the spectrum. If you become a private freelance teacher, it can be the best because:

- you get to talk about your favourite subject, interaction is more about instructing, explaining and teaching, not socializing.

- you can work 1 to 1, no need to deal with groups.

- you can work at home in your own space without background classroom noise.

- You can choose when to work, build in longer breaks if you need them, and how many hours you work.

- You can choose who to work with.

- no work colleagues, no staffroom politics (though dealing with parents is sometimes difficult)

- you can work with adults if you prefer.

- better paid for the same number of hours than at a state school.

I tried working at a school for a year, and it didn't work for me, but private teaching is a completely different ball game. I have my ups and downs, but private tuition is a lot, LOT better.

My other two occupations, translating and proofreading are also relatively stress free jobs, and suit me because I can work at home, but they don't bring in much money.

Edited by Nesf

Ben

Why did you get sacked?

This will be of interest to many of you actually, but it will interest you in particular. 

Firstly, I'm going to give myself and honest appraisal - I worked hard, and I worked very quickly to a high standard. I didn't put a foot wrong, and I did so well that I was able to take on additional duties, as well a fulfil my own role, all on my own, and without assistance - which meant that more staff could serve at the bar, whilst I whizzed around and made sure the customers were okay, and that everything was as it should be. 

Now, a week before I walked the plank, I told my boss about my Aspergers. He was fine with it - but it turns out that one of the barmaids mums worked in an Autistic unit. So, I think, that she was feeding my boss a pack of lies just to get fired. That, or, my boss did a random Google search and stumbled upon a load of false information - either way, it doesn't look good. 

At no time in my employment did anybody - (staff or customer) have a grievance with me. I was well liked by the team, and was always having my picture taken with a group of random girls - (or lads in some cases!) so clearly, I was doing good... Until I mentioned my Aspergers. 

He swore blind that it wasn't about the Aspergers, he said my dismissal was what was 'best for business' - but he only ever said good things about me up until the point of spilling the beans about my Aspergers... 

I couldn't give a flying F*** anyway, and I was being paid by the books, so I couldn't exactly appeal anything because there as no proof of me even working there. Of course, this was pre 2009 - so this kind of thing wouldn't happen now with Health and Safety and all of these new legislations and such, but I still think in some cases it's worth keeping quiet about your condition. 

If you can cope, then don't tell them. That's my advice to anyone. 

Nesf

Good advice.

Sometimes people can't see any further than the end of their noses.

dandelion

I think Aspies should work with their obsessions / interests ... I do it and I find it very practical. Haha  :D

I graduated as an industrial designer, worked as a designer of furniture, interior design, and after a bit in webdesign.

I have worked only with mechanical drawing for some time. It's great! Answer the phone 2 times per month, meeting clients a few times a year, stable routine, I have all the silence I need...  ;)

Within a few months I will be a mechanical designer ... more peacefulness ... ahahah  :D

HalfFull

The Public Sector is where I work, and I've never worked anywhere else that gone so smoothly. Admittedly last year things had taken a turn where the role was proven to be not right for me (to be honest it was that way for the whole 3 years in that particular team but I just hoped it would solve itself), but today one year into my latest role, I had my first appraisal in that role. I was certain I'd be pulled up for working drastically slowly, but in fact my manager thinks I'm flying through the work and has given me 6 months to do a task I would have thought she would expect me to have finished already.

The catch is though that in the current economic climate (in the UK at least) you would really struggle to get a job in the public sector if you don't already work for that particular organisation, because they replace necessary jobs with their own people, so that they don't have to recruit anyone brand new. That way they save money by discontinuing lesser needed jobs, especially where there are multiple people doing the same job.

aspiesw

This will be of interest to many of you actually, but it will interest you in particular. 

Firstly, I'm going to give myself and honest appraisal - I worked hard, and I worked very quickly to a high standard. I didn't put a foot wrong, and I did so well that I was able to take on additional duties, as well a fulfil my own role, all on my own, and without assistance - which meant that more staff could serve at the bar, whilst I whizzed around and made sure the customers were okay, and that everything was as it should be. 

Now, a week before I walked the plank, I told my boss about my Aspergers. He was fine with it - but it turns out that one of the barmaids mums worked in an Autistic unit. So, I think, that she was feeding my boss a pack of lies just to get fired. That, or, my boss did a random Google search and stumbled upon a load of false information - either way, it doesn't look good. 

At no time in my employment did anybody - (staff or customer) have a grievance with me. I was well liked by the team, and was always having my picture taken with a group of random girls - (or lads in some cases!) so clearly, I was doing good... Until I mentioned my Aspergers. 

He swore blind that it wasn't about the Aspergers, he said my dismissal was what was 'best for business' - but he only ever said good things about me up until the point of spilling the beans about my Aspergers... 

I couldn't give a flying F*** anyway, and I was being paid by the books, so I couldn't exactly appeal anything because there as no proof of me even working there. Of course, this was pre 2009 - so this kind of thing wouldn't happen now with Health and Safety and all of these new legislations and such, but I still think in some cases it's worth keeping quiet about your condition. 

That's such a horrible experience, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think that's gonna be my policy, don't ask, don't tell

dandelion

That's such a horrible experience, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think that's gonna be my policy, don't ask, don't tell

I totally agree!

I had been very angry with my husband, because he mentioned my AS for some coworkers at a barbecue company...   :angry:  ... 

aspiesw

I totally agree!

I had been very angry with my husband, because he mentioned my AS for some coworkers at a barbecue company... :angry: ...

He had no right to do that without asking your permission. I had a friend that used to tell people about my AS without my consent

Auletes

A busy office! Worst job ever!

Best job would probably be a library. Nice and quiet and you can read all day! :lol:

But there's a down side as well. You can't spend the whole day lining all the books properly in their shelves, even though there are sooo many books screaming "please, please, help, I'm not on the same level as the books beside me". (speaking from experience  :rolleyes: )