aspiesw

Best and Worst Jobs for people with Asperger's Syndrome?

Ben

That's such a horrible experience, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think that's gonna be my policy, don't ask, don't tell

It did have a knock on effect with my confidence for several years, and to a degree, that seed of doubt is still planted in my mind. But still, the past is just that - The PAST and it's wrong for us to generalise from the past by expecting that same outcome with every other endeavour of our lives.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather taste rejection a thousand times than live a life of flaccid passivity -  because to me, that's a fate worse than death. 

aspiesw

It did have a knock on effect with my confidence for several years, and to a degree, that seed of doubt is still planted in my mind. But still, the past is just that - The PAST and it's wrong for us to generalise from the past by expecting that same outcome with every other endeavour of our lives.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather taste rejection a thousand times than live a life of flaccid passivity -  because to me, that's a fate worse than death.

Well I'm practical living a lie at the moment, why break the habit of a lifetime

Ben

Well I'm practical living a lie at the moment, why break the habit of a lifetime

Because a habit is like a Piñata - it's made to be broken

aspiesw

Because a habit is like a Piñata - it's made to be broken

To be honest, I have tried 'hinting' that I'm different to my friends, but some of them are so naive (bless their cottons) that they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm going a bit off topic.

I couldn't personally work in a bar with all the music and loud punters, it would be hard to elevate my voice to the required level

Alex

If you can cope, then don't tell them. That's my advice to anyone. 

I think that's really solid advice. Sometimes it can go very wrong if you tell the wrong kind of people. I have mistakenly done so myself, a few times.

However, if you are at some place with people, like at a new job, and no one knows about it, then I think it could be comforting to find maybe just one person that you are comfortable with and trust, and then eventually tell that person about your AS. I don't know, but I think that's what I'd do. As long as I did have that one person. But of course, that could also back fire.

Personally, I am the type of person who gets along really well with older people. And by 'older people' I don't mean the elderly, but someone who is older than myself. Like someone in their 50's or so. Usually, it's that motherly woman type, that I seem to be really comfortable with. And that is the kind of person I would tell about my AS to.

Seriously, I get along much better with people much older than me, than people around my own age...

HalfFull

He had no right to do that without asking your permission. I had a friend that used to tell people about my AS without my consent

I agree with you but maybe some people think its like telling them that so and so is French or so and so is in a wheelchair since it is a fact. Unfortunately they just haven't learnt that that fact is a private one.

Xmas

I am pretty much a recluse, I like drawing and I also like writing poems so my dream job would be to sit in my room all day writing or drawing or both and somehow be able to make a living from this. Well I can dream on I guess.

The reality is I work full-time in a busy office surrounded by people I have nothing in common with....I wouldn't describe it as the worst job for someone with Asperger's, but it does come close.

greenerthanyou

I am pretty much a recluse, I like drawing and I also like writing poems so my dream job would be to sit in my room all day writing or drawing or both and somehow be able to make a living from this. Well I can dream on I guess.

The reality is I work full-time in a busy office surrounded by people I have nothing in common with....I wouldn't describe it as the worst job for someone with Asperger's, but it does come close.

a career making comic books and graphic novels! It's a hard world to break into, I'm sure, but it's possible.

Little Pink Coupe

I've been volunteering at my mom and stepdad's offices for a few days...so far, the work  mostly involves working with Excel spreadsheets, formatting documents, organizing things and making notes, all of which I'm reasonably good at. I did experience some sensory overload at my mom's office on my first day there (had a bad headache and the lights were too bright) but I managed to get through it by taking some ibuprofen and putting my head down on my desk for a moment or two.  

imleih

i was a cashier at a grocery store for about 5 months and hated it, one, because of the fact that i had to constantly deal with people, and two because the rest of the staff were really rude to me, and somehow they found out about my aspergers and other mental illness and kept harassing me about it, and eventually convinced the boss who was also an a**hole to fire me for "poor mental health". they didn't pay me out or anything, and forced me to make it look like i resigned. fun times.

but i'm going to be a clinical psychologist one day, and mainly focus on kids and teenagers with asd and anxiety, because they're my main "issues", and i feel like i could help people with them.

Edited by imleiw