aspiesw

Best and Worst Jobs for people with Asperger's Syndrome?

Boobookittyfrag

Working as a vets nurse has been ideal for me as I work with animals not people :)

dandelion

He had no right to do that without asking your permission. I had a friend that used to tell people about my AS without my consent

Yes, I explained to him. <_<

But he feels a little out at home because me and our two kids have autism... and he would like to be autistic too... but he is totally normal... and we think that autism is super cool at home.  :D

Haha... Like a house of super heros and just he without any power... poor thing, so powerless...  :rolleyes:

Maybe your friend think like that??? 

aspiesw

Maybe your friend think like that??? 

Possibly, because me and his brother were both autistic and he was NT, I never thought of it like that

aspiesw

Well, my neurotypical mask/act (whatever you want to call it) has died a long slow death, and all that remains is a 21 year old who realises he's completely out of his depth working in retail. Seriously, if you're not good with people don't work in retail. It is so emotionally, mentally, physically and socially draining, I'm just starting to crumble under the heavily weighted expectations of the role of sales advisor. I'm not sure how much longer I'll last in retail, but what I've always knew deep down is finally catching up to me, I'm completely out of my depth working in retail

2takuya

Well, my neurotypical mask/act (whatever you want to call it) has died a long slow death, and all that remains is a 21 year old who realises he's completely out of his depth working in retail. Seriously, if you're not good with people don't work in retail. It is so emotionally, mentally, physically and socially draining, I'm just starting to crumble under the heavily weighted expectations of the role of sales advisor. I'm not sure how much longer I'll last in retail, but what I've always knew deep down is finally catching up to me, I'm completely out of my depth working in retail

I have my days where I really feel it, working in retail I mean, and today has been an extremely bad day. Yesterday, I wasn't able to do any foot tapping or ring twisting when I needed to, and wasn't able to shut down silently until the end of my 7 hour shift, and to top that off I wasn't able to just hide away today, because I expected to be out today as well. 

King_oni

Here's a question to this; before you got into retail did you know you were on the spectrum? Or did you know you might not be that good with people? And thus the job would be a bit more difficult and stressful?

I mean, if you didn't have a clue, there's nothing wrong in giving it a shot just like anyone else looking for a job would. That's pretty much how I got my experiences in employment and just realized "well, this surely doesn't work for me". But I tried and tried to make the best out of it anyway. Such things will eventually catch up to you.

aspiesw

I have my days where I really feel it, working in retail I mean, and today has been an extremely bad day. Yesterday, I wasn't able to do any foot tapping or ring twisting when I needed to, and wasn't able to shut down silently until the end of my 7 hour shift, and to top that off I wasn't able to just hide away today, because I expected to be out today as well.

I've never been as bad as I was the last two days, it was even noticeable, I couldn't even pretend that I wasn't struggling. I've never done that badly on a shift. All the sensory overload, all the customers, the fast work pace, all the people, it was all too much, I can usually cope with it fine, but the last two days, something changed

Here's a question to this; before you got into retail did you know you were on the spectrum? Or did you know you might not be that good with people? And thus the job would be a bit more difficult and stressful?

I mean, if you didn't have a clue, there's nothing wrong in giving it a shot just like anyone else looking for a job would. That's pretty much how I got my experiences in employment and just realized "well, this surely doesn't work for me". But I tried and tried to make the best out of it anyway. Such things will eventually catch up to you.

I knew I was on the spectrum, I've known since I was 2. But I didn't know what it meant to be on the spectrum, I didn't know that was the reason I was so quite, or that was the reason I was so shy, or couldn't make eye contact or anything, I just thought it was something that made me a little different without knowing how it impaired me, therefore, I didn't feel it was right to tell anyone about it. As I started reading up on Asperger's Syndrome, I started to realise how different I was, and why I had been acting the way I was etc. in fact, it's only since I started acknowledging to myself the fact that I had Asperger's Syndrome that I've been so self aware. But yeah, I physically can't do it anymore, it's too socially and physically demanding

Nesf

This is how I feel about teaching. I don't advise people on the spectrum to try it, at least not in a school environment. It's one of the worse environments possible. Doing private one two one teaching is a lot better, but still stressful and tiring.

Dingo

I worked in a lumber yard and loved it.  I only had to deal with customers after they had paid for what they needed.  I just had to get it for them.  I could deal with it because I understood as role playing in a way.  They were customers and I was an employee and I knew what my role entailed.  Say hello, take a look at their receipt, get what they paid for, hand their receipt back and say "have a good one!" with a wave.

But I also liked making orders for construction companies, gathering at the different sizes of boards and doing the math to make it a nice, slight rectangular shape that is nice to deliver.  I don't know how to clearly explain it.  Some boards are 8 inches wide, so 4 of those would make 32 inches in one row.  So then 8 boards that are 4 inches would go on top of that and you build it up like that.  Boards that are 6 inches would be at the top since you could only get 5 in a row and  that row would only be 30 inches instead of 32. I found it very relaxing to work out the math beforehand, then relaxing in a different way to build it exactly like that.

Plus I got to drive forklifts.  Forklifts are so much fun.

The down sides were that it was retail, so the pay was crap.  Plus it was shift work, so I had to work every other weekend.  And it was mostly with people just out of high school who weren't motivated enough to go to university so they were pretty lazy and expected me and another guy to do everything.  They liked to sit in the office and just talk, but I found that boring, even if the topic was of interest to me.  And the day just dragged on if you just sat around talking.

Xenolith

Anyone here got any experience of working in research as an Aspie?