Willow

Overly Aware of Limbs

Willow

Does anyone else all of a sudden become randomly aware of their arms? And not know where to put them and they sort of ache and feel really uncomfortable. I get it with my tongue aswell - I suddenly realise that it's there and it feels too big for my mouth and I don't know where to keep it :(

I can get a similar thing with blinking and breathing. Suddenly I'm aware that its me controlling it and then I start to forget and I'm so conscious of the effort to blink or breathe.

Is this common with you guys? Is it AS or just normal?

I think I feel worse about my arms when I'm in an uncomfortable situation and I would rather have something to hold so they have a purpose because otherwise I will just cross then and to a lot of people that's rude or unsociable etc.

Arthur

I tend to blink really fast and eyes water up when stressed out, out side in busy street very annoying 

I also get the feeling when stressed that I feel that i'm there and not there very weird feeling it like consciousness is there then feels like wonders off.

I am also restless when stressed I have to move legs hands feet if not it feels like going to explode.

Sofi

I know what you mean by this but I can't say it is a very common thing for me. But, sometimes when I am lying in bed I suddenly feel really aware of where my legs or arms are and they feel really heavy or as if they are much bigger than the rest of my body, like disproportional sizes. 

I actually used to have an opposite issue to this when I was little - part of my diagnosis was a sort of spatial awareness issue with my own body, as if I did not know I had a body or didn't know where my body was, which led to me being a really clumsy walker and didn't know where to touch when I was told to touch my toes, or a similar instruction. My school worked on it a lot though and now, I don't have such issues with it. 

I do get the thing with not knowing what to do with my arms in uncomfortable situations, like talking to someone I don't know. I always fiddle with something or do usual strange things I do with my hands.

Arthur

@Willow I would be scared s@%$less if I had that, and did not know where your arms where or loose feeling of them.

Heather

I think sometimes I get this too.  I don't know if it's AS or normal.  I know I feel really self conscious of my arms when I'm outside... I think to some degree this is probably a "normal" thing but I don't know!  I know sometimes I get really noticeable of my eyes or breathing and realize I haven't took a deep breath in a long time and so I take a few deep breaths, and it calms me down.. But I get really sensitive with my eyes.. whenever I consciously blink or look at an eye commercial/advertisement, my eyes start getting watery.  But that's a bit off topic.  I know I can feel very awkward with my limbs sometimes and I feel really clumsy with them. 

iggy

Well, I get the things with breathing and blinking. Actually it's happening now because I read about it :P

I'm also very prone to pins and needles, which usually results in a dead arm, leg or other body part. I have to lie in a very specific way at night, or the blood will be cut out of my arms in minutes, and sleeping like that gives some extremely painful arms when the blood comes back, but until then I completely loose track of where my limb is and can't feel anything it touches or sometimes I can't control it properly. If I'm just feeling awkward I usually clasp my hands together in front of me and squeeze or fiddle with my fingers if I feel I need to to keep them there

My tongue is fine though.

Toran

I get that to sometimes worse than others and dont know where to put my arms. I have crossed them then they say thats a defensive posture or put my hands in my pocket. If im in company I hold my phone or look at it then thats rude so I jest fidget and look uncomfortable. I also get restless legs in bed its so anyoning feels you wanna scream sometimes so I do understand what you mean willow.

Andy

Stressed I have to walk and so I annoy others with pacing back and worth if confined to a small space, but I got diagnosed with movement dyspraxia a few years ago because I don't know where to put my limbs, I mean I know where, but I don't know they are where they are meant to be without looking and so in order to get movement right I will practice in a mirror so I can match the look to how it feels. But my posture in company I do what is comfortable to me what others think is their problem if it is a problem, because they are not me.

Willow
I tend to blink really fast and eyes water up when stressed out, out side in busy street very annoying 

I get like this too. I also hate the rain and that makes me stressed out; I'll screw my face up and I end up getting a headache from it.

sometimes when I am lying in bed I suddenly feel really aware of where my legs or arms are and they feel really heavy or as if they are much bigger than the rest of my body, like disproportional sizes. 

This is how I feel with my tongue sometimes. Usually at night actually. I just become really aware of things at night time when I'm trying to sleep.

I completely loose track of where my limb is and can't feel anything it touches or sometimes I can't control it properly.

I've had this occasionally, it usually wakes me up and I panic because I can't feel my arms, and they've some how ended up above my head and I can't move either of them to bring them down! Sometimes it just happens to one and I can use my other arm to move the 'dead' one back to a normal position.

I got diagnosed with movement dyspraxia a few years ago because I don't know where to put my limbs, I mean I know where, but I don't know they are where they are meant to be without looking

I'm not sure if this is similar, but when I can't see my hands, I'm unsure about where they are. So if I try to touch my fingers together behind my back, I always miss a few times.

Toran

The symptoms being discribed do you think there is any conection to stress and anxiety? My doctor says that some of the things I describe are brought on by the tension of the muscles caused by my stress issues. These are brought on by what im going through so it is conected in that way. What do you all think is there anything in that or do you think its a direct cause of the syndromes or a combination of the two.