aspiesw

Medication for Social Anxiety

aspiesw

Aspiesw, If you find anything that works, please let us know!  The only thing that ever lessened my social anxiety was street drugs and alcohol, but I can't do that and still be productive.  I've underwent quite a bit of CBT, and while that helped in developing strategies to deal with life, and to reduce my negative thinking, it didn't help with my anxiety.  Neither have the various SSRI's I've taken for depression. 

Really wish I wasn't so freakin' scared of people all the time...

Anti-depressants only help so much. I'm starting CBT tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes, I'm undergoing something called Exposure Therapy, which is based on putting yourself in the anxiety-provoking situations and seeing how your level of anxiety decreases

Taylor Lee

I'm prescribed Buspirone, which is a mild and non-addictive medication. It's for generalized anxiety. The only side-effect I've experienced is dizziness and euphoria, which goes away in 2-3 weeks. You can take it on an as-needed basis, as well. I can take up to 3 pills a day, and normally take 1 or 2.

nichii

I'm also interested in knowing what medications are good for anxiety. I have severe anxiety. I was diagnosed with social phobia/social anxiety disorder and speaking is very difficult. I can't even talk to my own family because my voice will sound shaky. I've taken clonazepam, zoloft, and buspirone and they do nothing for me. Plus I'm feeling dizzy now when I get anxiety and I can't focus. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, so if you guys know of any really strong anxiety pills, I can ask my psychiatrist to prescribe me one.

Holly

I was prescribed propranolol which was supposedly meant to control my anger and severe anxiety problems, but it actually made me feel worse :(.

Paul
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 2:37 PM, nichii said:

I'm also interested in knowing what medications are good for anxiety. I have severe anxiety. I was diagnosed with social phobia/social anxiety disorder and speaking is very difficult. I can't even talk to my own family because my voice will sound shaky. I've taken clonazepam, zoloft, and buspirone and they do nothing for me. Plus I'm feeling dizzy now when I get anxiety and I can't focus. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, so if you guys know of any really strong anxiety pills, I can ask my psychiatrist to prescribe me one.

I've been taking buspirone for years now. I know it works because when I don't take 5 mg every morning I don't answer the phone, even with caller ID. I am ADD and Ritalin is better  than sliced bread, though I am not currently on it. I go to sleep on coffee. Zoloft makes me twitch and eyes won't close and have to pace constantly. Other people love Zoloft. I believe there are two physiologies. One is calmed by methamphetamine and twitches with Zoloft clones and the other the opposite. You should keep this in mind when speaking to the psychiatrist.

I take 6000 IU Vitamin D3. If I take less I get annoyed by telephone calls. At 6000 even without the buspirone I answer the phone.

10 mg APO-Prednisone for my fibromyalgia and neck stiffness. After I stopped all wheat products I reduced it from 20 mg.

Marijuana increases my anxiety. I never use it socially.

I would like to suggest an experiment. In conjunction with your other treatments, try no wheat products (it is easy to read the ingredients label) for one month and see what happens. Also at a minimum add Vitamin D3 to your diet, I believe this will help.

Kroge
On 7/12/2014 at 11:36 PM, Alex said:

I understand you completely. Yes, I think you should definitely try medication, if not just to see how it works on you. Honestly, I don't think it can hurt to try. That's my attitude atleast. And if the first medication you try doesn't work well on you, then you can always try something else etc. And new meds are always being developed so there are tons of possibilties, for you to try out.

This is a cycle that many people are caught in nowadays. Whether it helps or not is a separate issue. Personally I don't think it's worth the blows to health such as cognition, uneven weight gain, nausea, brainfog, etc. and those are just the immediately observable effects. I have never come across someone who went into this cycle and came out of it easily. It seems to never end and it does not address the problem at all, if anything it worsens it. Many people say they will just use medications until they are stable, but this is a promise that more often than not goes unfulfilled, largely because many of the most common medications are horribly physiologically addictive, and that is a heavy price to pay for something that, according to the studies that justify their usage, is a placebo about half the time. And the reason there are always "tons of possibilities" is because the research standards for these medications is abysmal; you don't know what you're taking, and most of the time neither does your doctor. Long-term effects are never researched with much enthusiasm, and some of them are not even tested on humans before being rolled out to the public. So you end up becoming part of the first human trial. Doctors encourage cycling through different medications partly because they bank on the placebo effect, but mostly because they really just don't know what they're doing. They project confidence and superiority at you but if you ask some basic curiosity-driven questions you will see for yourself what their confidence is based on. In my opinion they are making complete fools of people and it is lamentable to see people willingly rot their brains out for no reason.

Cannabis helps (me) to create the ideal psychological environment for me to bypass anxiety. Howevever I just accept anxiety as it is and try to listen to it. Ultimately it is an exaggerated fight-or-flight mechanism and it is reacting to perceived threats. It's not meant to cause upset but it is just meant to be a signal. I just listen to it like it's a signal, not a problem to be glossed over (and that is all medications will do, at best). Listening to it in the moment will prevent it from building up and causing further difficulties down the line. Learning to breathe properly helps too.

Paul

The point in going wheat free here is that the proteins in the wheat have a proven effect, to the worse, on the brain chemistry. A study published by the National Institutes of Health http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15106205 in 2004, reported a significant beneficial treatment effect for the combined gluten- and casein- free diet in the reduction of autistic traits. They saw the need for controlled studies to further investigate. But really, who is going to pay for the studies? Certainly not General Mills. It would be a cash flow disaster if wheat were shown to influence autism (and by extension Asperger and a few hundred other side effects)http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/200-clinically-confirmed-reasons-not-eat-wheat. My personal turn around both physically and mentally over the past 18 months has been nothing less than miraculous. I thought I was going to follow in the steps of my father and older brother and die after a few rounds of abdominal surgery in the near future. Maybe, but I don't believe it, going wheat free won't make a difference, but most of the doctors just order inappropriate psycho drugs or therapy because they don't know what to do. Why do they suggest restricting Lactose, nuts and god knows what else free, but never wheat free? It won't hurt to try and you may be surprised.

On the other hand my own younger brother and my son just tell me to write a book. It's my family's time honored way of them telling me to shut up and leave them alone. My dad moved to Florida, Thanksgiving 2001, had to have surgery to untwist his intestines, had a second surgery colostomy and died Christmas Eve. By the time my older brother had his surgery for a stoma (optional surgery) between his colon and bladder, I already knew what I know about wheat. I was so frustrated to see him eating Hawaiian Rolls once he was back on solid food. When the sutures would not heal,(surgery successful, patient failure) they operated again, this time colostomy. I drove 13 hours to see him at home recovering. He gave me a copy of Wheatbelly:Total Health.  I think the 10 page email I sent him where I flat out said he was going to die may have worked or he was messing with my head in response. I guess I'll never know. His wife was definite pro wheat. It's un-American to not eat bread. The last meal we had together had many types of breads on the table. The next day while I was on my way home he stroked. Within weeks he was dead. His last words were supposedly, "sh*t, sh*t, sh*t."

Melanie222
On 7/12/2016 at 4:36 PM, Kroge said:

Cannabis helps (me) to create the ideal psychological environment for me to bypass anxiety. Howevever I just accept anxiety as it is and try to listen to it.

I also use Medical Marijuana in order to relieve stress, anxiety or pain. I used to be suspicious about smoking cannabis, but the latest research showed great results and I changed my mind. Also I know people who use cannabis in medicinal purpose. So, it has many benefits. 

*Links removed by moderator due to excessive advertising*