Alex

I might want to start out in the IM aswell, just to get comfortable, and build up courage to do voice chat. It shall be great though, once it gets rolling!

Kuribo [old account]

I might want to start out in the IM aswell, just to get comfortable, and build up courage to do voice chat. It shall be great though, once it gets rolling!

I'm usually okay talking on the phone, but it feels different because I know and care about most people here.

Shōnen Bat

I don't mind doing 1-1 face calls (it depends on how I'm feeling on the day). Although it does terrify me a bit, I'd do it. The problem that I have found with multiple face calls is; you have to pay a premium to use the service unfortunately. I'll dig deeper into the how to's, no problem. Then, if people want to be shown how to host their own conference video call, I could show them how to do it. I welcome it, if it can be done and if others want to try to set this up. I'm going to stick to the IM and Skype call for now; as I'm fairly new to Skype.

:)

I'm looking forward to it too.

Given your experience; any pointers, tips etc? Thanks x

I could be wrong as I have no experience in video calls or conferencing but I believe Jitsi offer free video conferencing via their own XMPP server. Duckduck go also offer an XMPP server and I guess you could use that for video conferencing? I am not sure but voice calls certainly work.

Not being an avid user of skype, I am intruiged as to how a group chat works. Is it like an IRC chat room, with a general chatting area and the ability to send messages to individuals, or is simply one combined chat window for everything?

Dingo

Good idea! I might pop in too, as I think it would be a fairly interesting experience...

But I wouldn't do it just to help others and seek my own advice; I would also just do it to have a nice friendly chat about anything, if that is allowed. So therefore, I will ask, are we only allowed to talk about serious stuff, or is it just as much to have a good time with other aspies, like on the forum?

This is a good idea as I think it would be beneficial for some people to just be able to speak to other people and lighter subjects might make this easier. 

I like the idea of this but I might make some people feel awkward as I often just become the quiet guy lurking in the corner when I'm with a group.  Sometimes I can't even get my mouth to say anything if I feel like a lot of people are looking at me or waiting for me to speak.  But I do like the idea and would probably benefit a lot as I often have a lot of trouble just using the phone.  Even just to book a doctor appointment I have to spend the morning psyching myself up to do it.

If it meets at scheduled times then I'm curious about the time differences.  I'm guessing that it would be in the evenings for most people and most people seem to be in the UK or somewhere in Europe.

Eden

I like this idea although I think I would be very anxious at first and it would take a while before I felt able to join the voice chat. but then again it might be ok, I don't know. I can be very talkative or very quiet. It depends on whom I am talking to and the subject. I do swear but not a huge amount- it isn't a compulsion so I can be unsweary (my brain is mush- it's been a long day). 

It is a scary idea but if it works out, it could be a really good thing.

I would like to join if possible, and pianissimo's comments would be mine, verbatim, minus the sweary bit.

Nesf

I could be wrong as I have no experience in video calls or conferencing but I believe Jitsi offer free video conferencing via their own XMPP server. Duckduck go also offer an XMPP server and I guess you could use that for video conferencing? I am not sure but voice calls certainly work.

Not being an avid user of skype, I am intruiged as to how a group chat works. Is it like an IRC chat room, with a general chatting area and the ability to send messages to individuals, or is simply one combined chat window for everything?

I was once talking to a friend over Skype using the video when her sister came online and my friend invited her in on the conversation and I must say it freaked me out a bit, because it was unexpected and because the voices kept coming and I couldn't keep track of who was saying what to whom - it was a bit too chaotic for me and more difficult that an offline conversation because then at least you can see the lips - but over Skype there's a slight time delay because of the distance - but that doesn't mean that it can't or shouldn't work. With the IM there won't be this problem. There's also a video conference system called Cisco Jabber, but I don't know if you have to pay for the service.

I would like to join if possible, and pianissimo's comments would be mine, verbatim, minus the sweary bit.

Ditto this :)

Shōnen Bat

I was once talking to a friend over Skype using the video when her sister came online and my friend invited her in on the conversation and I must say it freaked me out a bit, because it was unexpected and because the voices kept coming and I couldn't keep track of who was saying what to whom - it was a bit too chaotic for me and more difficult that an offline conversation because then at least you can see the lips - but over Skype there's a slight time delay because of the distance - but that doesn't mean that it can't or shouldn't work. With the IM there won't be this problem. There's also a video conference system called Cisco Jabber, but I don't know if you have to pay for the service.

I can imagine how hard it would be to keep track of who was speaking in such an environment, I often struggle when I am in conversation with more than a couple of people to keep track of who is talking.

It sounds like a generalised chat window which makes me wonder how many people could participate and keep the quality viable.

The sound delay was most likely due to latency issues for which skype is notorious(latency can be thought of as lag). I used to get it when I did audio only calls on skype to a friend who was about 50 miles away :P. Its a lot more dependant on your connection (and all the relays between you) being up to scratch. I tried moving to Mumble which was a big improvement but running the server was a pain.

I don't know Cisco Jabber specifically but Jabber is the name used for IM using XMPP (it was the original name for XMPP and there is a .org that runs an IM service based on XMPP).

:::A::different::kind:::

yeah i'd be up for that! :)

Echo

Hi guys, I've never tried either before. Thus, the first time we try this out will be an experiment.

What I would like to do over the next couple of days includes:

Gathering email, Hotmail, Skype user names (whichever your preferred method of signing into or being found on Skype) and compiling lists of who would like to join the groups. I will post this list up on the thread so that you can confirm that you are in the right group. This list will only display your Asperclick username -your private contact details etc will remain private, unless you wish to share them yourselves.

What I think will happen is; we will start with the IM group, get that working so that eventually I don't have to be present all the time to initiate a group session (for example; I create a group, this group will be displayed in your sidebar, you could then one click on the link and talk to that particular group). I would like it to be a resource for all, open for anyone to start chatting at any time regardless of absences.

If anyone would like to try a voice group experiment over the next couple of days, please PM me. I want to make sure that it works before promising you something that cannot be done. We will keep this number low to begin with 4-5 people, including me.

As for policies and guidelines; let's follow the same rules set out for this forum. I'll post a link to this later, unless you already know what they are :)

If at any time you feel uncomfortable with the sizes of groups later on (when everything's up and running) we can create sub-groups etc... I'll find a way not to make things too complicated for members.

Anyway, let me know if you have any more thoughts x

Edited by Echo

thegingerone

I think this is all a great idea and I definitely agree with written messages as well as voice calls.  The only issue which might cause a problem is worldwide timezones, but this will not be so much of a problem if there are more people.