Alex

Sarcasm

ALC
I think the problem is that, on the internet, I can't see peoples facial expressions, so I don't know if they are being sarcastic. And in real life, people usually don't use another facial expression when they are being sarcastic...Or maybe they do, and I just don't look at their face... 

It's more about tone of voice, over annunciation of words/entire phrases. it's kind of hard to explain.  

Mark
I think the problem is that, on the internet, I can't see peoples facial expressions, so I don't know if they are being sarcastic. And in real life, people usually don't use another facial expression when they are being sarcastic...Or maybe they do, and I just don't look at their face... 

I find it almost impossible to discern sarcasm in written text.

Alex
It's more about tone of voice, over annunciation of words/entire phrases. it's kind of hard to explain.  

I think you are right. I forgot to take that in consideration...

Alex
I find it almost impossible to discern sarcasm in written text.

It is quite hard, yes :)

Willow
Sarcasm is the foundation of my communication skills :D

To be fair, I think I am sometimes like this - it's easier, sometimes, to be sarcastic when meeting new people, and to make fun of yourself if you do something wrong - at least if you do, they can't!

ALC
To be fair, I think I am sometimes like this - it's easier, sometimes, to be sarcastic when meeting new people, and to make fun of yourself if you do something wrong - at least if you do, they can't!

For sure, it saves me from a lot of awkwardness, just go straight in there with the sarcasm/humour. Then I don't have to try and figure out what the hell is going on.   

spiderwoman0_2
I think I can be quite blunt, especially with people I know well. But then, I think so can my fiancé sometimes too - so I guess we're just as bad as each other.

Yes Willow you can be blunt lol :P

Jeff

I used to be bad with sarcasm but have gotten better at it but on the net I am a classic case of "EPIC FAIL" when it comes to sarcasm.

CaptainNapalm

Indeed it makes things easier when meeting new people... I love sarcasm although sometimes my sarcasm is too advanced for others to pick up and end up looking like an idiot. :wacko: lol