Ben

Recurring Dreams.

iggy
Does anyone have when about to fall asleep get the feeling that your moving a leg arm hand to move something, then realize you din't move or touch anything.

I call it ghosting feeling of you arm or leg moving when its not.

I get the "grab" reflex - a sensation of falling which causes me to grap onto anything nearby. I think I read that one is from way back when we slept in big trees all night.

Arthur
I get the "grab" reflex - a sensation of falling which causes me to grap onto anything nearby. I think I read that one is from way back when we slept in big trees all night.

This is called the Hypnic jerk.

A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, or night start, is an involuntary twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing them to awaken suddenly for a moment. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled,[1] often accompanied by a falling sensation.[2] A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.

source wikipedia

I've known  about this for years.

Toran

All I can say to that is that im thankfull we dont live in the trees now with my sense of ballance I would spend all night falling and climbing the tree that is if something never came along and ate me before I started back up the tree.

Andy

Pandora !

Spiderman0_2

I have experienced something known as sleep paralysis a few times. I wake up but am completely paralysed and can only move my eyes, and there is a feeling of someone or something being in the room with me, along with the feeling of absolute terror.

It can be very scarey! :)

iggy
I have experienced something known as sleep paralysis a few times. I wake up but am completely paralysed and can only move my eyes, and there is a feeling of someone or something being in the room with me, along with the feeling of absolute terror.

This is scary - I was just reading about that before you mentioned it! It does sound scary.

Toran

Ive never experienced that but it must be very scary to experiece that. Ive woken up with somebody standing over me but I could move snd wasnt scared. I was awake not dreaming what it was I dont know but it didnt want to hurt me im sure of that. There are many things that cant be explained just excepted until we are ready or able to make sense of things around us.

Toran
This is scary - I was just reading about that before you mentioned it! It does sound scary.

There are many theorys for this but the main thing is how people react to it I think. Id be more scared walking alone in some areas than I would be of something happening like this. You dont know why but it doesnt hurt you so does you no harm other than that what you percieve to be so from your own perdpective.

Willow
I also have had a lot of recurring dreams in the past of waking up and then dreaming that I have woken up, ate breakfast, gotten dressed and waited to go to school, then I wake up and realise I'm still in bed! This sort of cycle happened several times before I would have to actually get dragged up by my mum. I haven't had that for a while, because it was mostly to do with going to school. 

I used to have recurring nightmare/flashback type of things but that's not really the same. 

^ Yes I've had this. It's quite annoying because you think you've made a good start to your day, and you wake up and realise you haven't even started it! 

I get this. Not so much now - but it's usually when I fall asleep in the day - and no one's here to wake me up so I just go round in circles, wanting to get up but I can't...but I think I have! :( I did a video about it somewhere.

Does anyone have when about to fall asleep get the feeling that your moving a leg arm hand to move something, then realize you din't move or touch anything.

I call it ghosting feeling of you arm or leg moving when its not.

This is called the Hypnic jerk.

A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, or night start, is an involuntary twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing them to awaken suddenly for a moment. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled,[1] often accompanied by a falling sensation.[2] A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.

source wikipedia

I've known  about this for years.

I get this - it really annoys me because it takes me so long to fall asleep :(

Anyway, as for recurring dreams - I also dream about my teeth falling out.

I also get a dream about a forest...and a picnic, or something.When I have it I know more about it and know that I've been having it all my life, but right now I can't remember much.

I dream a lot about America and having our first child (who is always a girl in my dreams).

I still dream about school a lot but it's never quite how I remember it, the building is always wrong.

I have a lot of dreams where I'm a character from a film or book and a new exciting story line is going on, which is nice because it's like a movie in my head :D

HalfFull

I have experienced it too, but in my case I can't even open my eyes and feel absolutely terrified as you can't even call for help but luckily it always passes. I think its just that your blood is in the wrong place at the time it happens, so in a way its the same as being asleep expect that you are not.

My recurring dreams are telling me that I need to move on in my life and do the things others are doing because when I think about it my life has been much the same for the last few years and as I'm nearly 40, I need it to be a bit less dull.

The past: I dream that I am back at school with the same pupils and always worried about being late (I'm trying to improve my timekeeping at work).

I also dream that I am back at the French college where I did my year abroad in order to do a further year of the French D.U.T. course with the same students and sometimes in my Halls of Residence over there and wondering where the girl I fell for all those years ago is as they always switched peoples rooms around, and I don't want to live a few metres away from her for a year and never bump into her. This is probably because I'm dying to return to France and especially to re-visit that area of which I have fond memories and would love to meet some of the students again especially the girl I fell for who I may have missed an opportunity with and did have email contact with at one point but a serious relationship with another girl years later helped me to get her out of my system but she still features in these dreams although always unseen which might mean something.

The future: I have never taken driving lessons but have had various dreams in which I am at the wheel of a car in a back street, it starts moving and before I know it I'm driving all round town. At first I seem to be doing well but then I start to struggle to control the car and have a few terrifying near misses. This dream is telling me to save up and take driving lessons. I have never left Europe, but have had several dreams where I am in America, I think always on the East Side and in the dream it feels very real and I'm think something like "This can not be real, Wow I am really in America :lol: . I never thought it would happen". This dream is telling me to save up to go to America.

I think these dreams are telling me to make the most of my forties before I'm 50 and do the things that I only think about and really these are fairly small things and don't really cost the earth and money is the only obstacle. I actually rarely dream about new relationships although have had dreams in which someone who only actually exists in the dream turns out to be my girlfriend. I guess that one tells me that I shouldn't be single forever but so far they are not delivering messages about a long-term commitment, marriage or children, but saying start small and enjoy your own life.