InsomniaDreams

Being offended for other people

InsomniaDreams

This was a question in my philosophy group a while ago...Can I be offended for OTHER people?

These other people are not offended by this thing that I am offended over.

I am offended FOR them.

I found this idea quite interesting/perplexing.

I'm not sure it even makes sense but it's interesting anyway.

King_oni

Well, I suppose you could be offended for someone if someone is pointing out something that seems universally offensive.

A racist remark might be among those things when directly addressed towards a racial minority.

Shōnen Bat

I don't see how.

I can be offended on my own account for a remark directed at someone else.

I am not ethnic Chinese but I can still be offended by the use of the word "chink", not on their behalf, but because I dislike intolerance and racial slurs.

Dingo

Do you mean offended on their behalf? That seems silly.  You can stand up for other people but being offended for them is ridiculous.  I think it might be that some people seem to want to be offended and outraged and wronged.  Maybe they like the attention or something like that.

L Lawliet

I will feel sorry for someone if a person makes a comment or insults them and the person it's aimed at gets offended. But if that person takes it as a joke or brushes off the comment then I wouldn't feel sorry for them because it didn't upset them. So I don't know if offended is the word I would use, more like sympathy I guess.

If I get offended, it would be because I could easily apply the comment to myself. I think being offended would more so be when something affects you directly, not through someone else.

Nesf

If, for example, I was with my brother and someone made an insensitive comment about his Tourette's ticks, then I would be offended... actually, I'm not sure if offended would be the right word, more angry because the person had been so insensitive.

InternetCreature

Well I'm offended that your all offended about offensive things :P Does that count ?

Kuribo [old account]

I don't know if offended is the right word, but if someone I care about is attacked, I feel angry regardless of whether or not they do, because I want what's best for my friends and it hurts to see someone attempt to make them feel bad. As StarGazingWithU said, the word "offended" would be more applicable if the comment made by the aggressor could also apply to me.

Edited by Kuribo

RiRi

Like StarGazingWithU mentioned, when the comment could be applied to me, I'd probably feel offended or feel the need to apologize. Like, if someone said something about someone that bothered them and I could apply that comment to me, then I'd be like "I'm sorry" even if they weren't talking about me. I remember one time I was so offended I started to cry. I don't know, maybe I like the attention :wacko: or maybe I just feel bad. :( I guess it's not really up to me to decide. :wacko: Also, when someone I care about is being attacked, I'd feel angry.