Sofi

Holidays

Sofi

I have mixed feelings about holidays because I like what happens on holidays but I would still just much rather be at home above anything else. I can't enjoy it more than being at home. I would happily just go home after a few hours on holiday, not because it's bad but it's just because I would rather be at home. Also hotels remind me of hospitals a bit. It's like you can't be yourself when you're on holiday and you feel like you have to ask permission from hotel people before you can do anything but at home, you can just do whatever you want whenever.
I really want to go home!! It's making me grumpy and depressed being on holiday. Not because the holiday is bad though, it's not. Also I would rather just go on holiday with just my dad and nobody else. It's really overwhelming when we leave the hotel so I don't like to do that but we usually stay in the car there too. 

The Id

I don't go on holiday because I always bring myself with me. The perfect holiday would be leaving myself at home and sneaking out for a few days alone.

Sofi

I don't go on holiday because I always bring myself with me. The perfect holiday would be leaving myself at home and sneaking out for a few days alone.

Yes that's exactly how I feel. I'm still terrible me, a holiday is not a break from that. 

Nesf

I know what you mean, Sofi. Holidays are supposed to be for relaxing and having fun, but you can never relax in the same way as you can at home.  I usually end up more tired after the holiday than before. They expect you to go down at certain times for meals or breakfast, you are brought out of your normal routine and are in a strange room - it's all very unsettling. I can't say I enjoy that any more than I would do at home where I can do what I want and don't have to go out in order to eat - though I like not having to cook or do other chores. Also, I can never sleep well in a strange place. However, I do enjoy driving around the countryside, visiting museums, historical sites or places of natural beauty.

Sofi

I know what you mean, Sofi. Holidays are supposed to be for relaxing and having fun, but you can never relax in the same way as you can at home.  I usually end up more tired after the holiday than before. They expect you to go down at certain times for meals or breakfast, you are brought out of your normal routine and are in a strange room - it's all very unsettling. I can't say I enjoy that any more than I would do at home where I can do what I want and don't have to go out in order to eat - though I like not having to cook or do other chores. Also, I can never sleep well in a strange place. However, I do enjoy driving around the countryside, visiting museums, historical sites or places of natural beauty.

Yes, it's that. I am more tired on holiday! It's just because my dad wants to visit his family and that is so awkward social interaction. 

Well, we eat in the hotel room but they seemed disappointed in us that we didn't want their breakfast or to eat it in their restaurant place. I don't want their breakfast because that really reminds me of hospitals. 

Yes, we are visiting a historical place/museum today. I won't say where because it will give out my exact location today. I will like it. 

Nesf

Yes, it's that. I am more tired on holiday! It's just because my dad wants to visit his family and that is so awkward social interaction. 

Well, we eat in the hotel room but they seemed disappointed in us that we didn't want their breakfast or to eat it in their restaurant place. I don't want their breakfast because that really reminds me of hospitals. 

Yes, we are visiting a historical place/museum today. I won't say where because it will give out my exact location today. I will like it. 

Yes, I understand. We once had a holiday in the Scottish Highlands and we stayed at a B&B place. We were the only guests, and the couple who owned the B&B kept watching us as we were eating breakfast and making small talk to be polite which was really awkward! I just wanted to be left alone. They also offered evening meals, but we didn't want them and just bought takeaways to eat in our room - we just wanted to do our own thing. I didn't like it there particularly and didn't feel at ease and was glad to leave - though I really liked the Highlands and the places we visited!

Nintendo2

Yes I can relate Sofi I feel more comfortable at home because I know the area and my surrounds. Going on holidays can be a little stressful for me.

HalfFull

I'm also always in 2 minds about holidays. For me though its mostly to do with its place in the work/life balance. Although I get 31 days leave on top of 10 days Standard leave (eg Christmas and Easter), at least 12 of these are for a general break because after working for 5 days, the weekend never feels quite long enough to rest/get things done. Even on the odd day off here and there, I don't get everything done, hence I try to get a full week off when I can doing nothing. I had the full first week of April off, and still didn't get everything done. I fully intended not to do a holiday this year. I thought that I told my friend this as I had certainly told other people, and bingo he catches me off guard with a suggestion of a cheap week-long holiday between 3 of us who are all friends, and I ended up agreeing, but I'm already eating up a lot of my leave and this one hasn't happened yet.

That said, it is becoming a bit boring spending so much extra time at the flat, so really its a blessing in disguise, and on this holiday I might insist on staying at the place where we are staying on two of the days but agree to going out for a meal with both friends that evening. Both friends are likely to want to spend the time visiting as many places as possible.

I was once on holiday with the other friend in a big city. We had a hot meal at lunchtime (in a self-service restaurant) so when the evening arrived I was wondering when we were going to pick up sandwiches as I was planning getting back to the hotel fairly early. I didn't see any shops that sold them. We then walked further and further away from the hotel, and eventually with time getting on went to an unmissable tourist attraction. Once that was done, he then led the 4 of us to a restaurant about 3 miles from the hotel and I wasn't sure how to be back plus had to be sure to eat something if sandwiches weren't that obviously available. I felt secretly furious because to my mind you don't sit down to 2 hot meals out in one day, and then by the time we returned to the hotel it was midnight, and breakfast was at 8am, thus I refused to join them for their morning and evening activities that day and only spent 1 to 5pm with them, given that I had to host a meet-up on my first full day in the UK too, and had I not done this, the meet-up would have been hosted by a complete zombie.

I simply can not get up on 8 hours sleep and no nap, and also need where possible to have as much time as possible on my own. Apparently the plan with the upcoming holiday is that we can each to our own thing when we want to, even though I'm sure on at least 3 days, we'll all visit somewhere together.

To top this off, another friend that I rarely see now but have been friends with for 25 years and am in intermittent contact with all of a sudden wants to go to Blackpool for the weekend. Since we last went on holiday 7 years ago, and he has a disability that restricts when he can do things, it would have seemed churlish to turn down a weekend thing 20 miles from where I live. He can't stay at mine because its not suitable for his disability. This has resulted in me booking another 1.5 days off. 2 or 3 days would have been better but I have to be careful.

Like Nesf, I'm always super-tired after holidays. I have an Aspie friend who literally won't have a week off unless he is away on holiday or where thats not possible going a day out every single day. I simply don't know how that is possible. The first time I had a week off without going somewhere, he was planning to take a day off so that we could have a day out without knowing that I wanted to spend it alone. It was a concept he just didn't grasp. Another week off, my parents visited from Sunday to Tuesday and that particular visit left me exhausted as my mum was trying to help me improve things, some of which I had hoped to spend some time on looking for improvements myself, but I ended up not doing any of it on my own terms and felt very frustrated.

Sofi, enjoy the rest of the holiday as best you can and I hope you liked the historic monument. :)

thegingerone

I'm the same.  I really like to go on holiday and to visit new places, but I would still much rather stay at home.  Home is the one place where I feel comfortable in being me, and I don't feel as alienated in society at home compared to when I'm away.

Kuribo [old account]

I'm not keen on hotels either, due to the restrictions on what you're able to do, and I'm also deeply uncomfortable with the idea of room service. I don't want a stranger being alone with my important belongings.

We usually rent a cottage for a week rather than using a hotel, which feels a lot more comfortable to me.

Aside from things like my PC and games consoles, I've never missed home very much while I'm on holiday. Travelling and seeing new places is one of the things I enjoy most about life.