Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben

Nutritional Links To Depression And Mental Illness.

Heather

Good video!! :)  I know there is a link too.. even just short term.. when I eat healthy, I feel better about myself and happier.. also goes for when I drink more water!  :)  I definitely think medical doctors should be trained more in nutrition.  It is so important for health I think.  I got really happy when he mentioned cashews.. I like cashews a lot and so does my boyfriend. :P  I feel less guilty for eating them now.. not that I did before because they are a natural food so they are healthier.  I also like making a yummy dill pickle dip that uses cashews (and dill pickles and onion powder, and is delicious!).  Thanks for sharing this video!  :)

Andy

Okay, I do understand the link between our modern diet and depression as to face it what is available one has to ask themselves why do advertisers have to put in their advertising literature;

with added vitamins and minerals

Why what are they saying, without such their product is just bulk ?

And there is the chemical additives to enhance a product- why ?

And lets not go there on sweeteners and the E thing.

The bottom line is that the major food manufacturers don't care about nutriton or how good their food is for us, they are in the business for profit, that is what they can make for the least expenditure and so meat, Ben, you like meat, I hope you are buying organic, because if you are not you are consuming antibiotics and growth hormones the animal was subjected to all it's life to speed up it's growth and make it more value for money from the manufacturers point of view. The flip side of artificial growth hormones is that people are getting bigger and some may want that, but it is also accelerating many conditions associated with rapid growth and perhaps even contributes to heart disease and cancer.

But depression is not all about food for in my case I eat a healthy diet, mostly vegetarian and organic where possible when it comes to animals products including fish - my main source of meat, where often it is I catch it myself. I eat little but what I do eat is healthy and the only sugar I have is in coffee and weak coffee at that, iodised salt only on chips, about twice a week otherwise I don't add salt to food. But despite a healthy diet I still suffer depression so I am inclined to think my diet is not causing it, but at least I have a clue now for my recent research that led to a diagnosis indicates I have endocrine issues which might be able to be addressed, but I won't know until I have seen a geneticist for a full genetic work up.

But food, Ben, on here a while ago you were extolling the virtues of some brightly coloured chemical drink and earlier some green sweets, where no way will I touch that, I have more respect for my body than that, but perhaps there is a clue for you, our modern diet and what you are sold by clever advertising, but if you withdraw from such, expect an energy drop off and yes, more depression, because the brain gets used to things and when change comes there will be changes until the body gets used to the new regime.

iggy

When one of my extended family was diagnosed with depression, the first advice was to sort out a sleep schedule. Once that was done they advised to go on a diet to loose weight to feel more confident and make sure that it had lots of fresh foods in particular fruits and veg, so without watching your clip I would assume that a healthy diet with the correct vitamins and minerals would put one in a better mood.

Heather
Okay, I do understand the link between our modern diet and depression as to face it what is available one has to ask themselves why do advertisers have to put in their advertising literature;

with added vitamins and minerals

Why what are they saying, without such their product is just bulk ?

And there is the chemical additives to enhance a product- why ?

And lets not go there on sweeteners and the E thing.

The bottom line is that the major food manufacturers don't care about nutriton or how good their food is for us, they are in the business for profit, that is what they can make for the least expenditure and so meat, Ben, you like meat, I hope you are buying organic, because if you are not you are consuming antibiotics and growth hormones the animal was subjected to all it's life to speed up it's growth and make it more value for money from the manufacturers point of view. The flip side of artificial growth hormones is that people are getting bigger and some may want that, but it is also accelerating many conditions associated with rapid growth and perhaps even contributes to heart disease and cancer.

But depression is not all about food for in my case I eat a healthy diet, mostly vegetarian and organic where possible when it comes to animals products including fish - my main source of meat, where often it is I catch it myself. I eat little but what I do eat is healthy and the only sugar I have is in coffee and weak coffee at that, iodised salt only on chips, about twice a week otherwise I don't add salt to food. But despite a healthy diet I still suffer depression so I am inclined to think my diet is not causing it, but at least I have a clue now for my recent research that led to a diagnosis indicates I have endocrine issues which might be able to be addressed, but I won't know until I have seen a geneticist for a full genetic work up.

But food, Ben, on here a while ago you were extolling the virtues of some brightly coloured chemical drink and earlier some green sweets, where no way will I touch that, I have more respect for my body than that, but perhaps there is a clue for you, our modern diet and what you are sold by clever advertising, but if you withdraw from such, expect an energy drop off and yes, more depression, because the brain gets used to things and when change comes there will be changes until the body gets used to the new regime.

Very good post as well!  And I think that nutritional deficiencies are the cause of a lot of things but are not the cause of everything.  The modern diet is far more distressing.  The Big companies care more about money than they do about people's health.  Very well said and I agree. 

Ben

Andy, there will be a more detailed post to come very soon, when I have time, I just diddn't want to leave you with the impression that I chug brightly coloured drinks daily. 

I 'cheat' on my diet very very very rarely. So rarely it's not worth discussing. My goal with the Green sweet topic, and posting up jolly rancher drinks is that I don't want to appear a bore on the forums with my clean cut nutrition talk. I also want to appear approachable and fun. 

I am, in truth, a person interested in life extension, nootropics and archevore dieting. 

My depression is attributed to me bottling my problems up, and pushing things off. Diet plays a key role, but in my case, It's largely due to a very broken heart. 

Squeeker, I could be anal, really anal, and say that the only problem I have with cashews is the pufa's and the n3 and n6. But that would be really anal of me. I personally prefer to get my fats from cream, and dairy because 1 there saturated, and not mono or poly unsaturated and 2 won't throw my omega 3 and 6 ratio's off balance. 

Of course the idea of the cashews is for the tryptophan, and if you can't supplement it, then cashews are you're best bet. 

Andy

Ben, all I ask of anyone is that they be true to their self and by being true to themselves such people often come across as honest with others and don't need to add things to make themselves something they are not, but I do understand the need to fit in.

Where with myself through trying to fit in for decades, I have failed miserably and so my tack now is I be true to myself and of others, well they like me or they don't, it is as simple as that, but everything I say to others is in perfect honesty, it is as it is warts and all.

But as it is I don't fit in and now I have a reason why, but I am settling into the fact that I stand apart. Sure it can be lonely, it has to be, but I can deal with that stuff, as I am well practised.

I suspect Ben you are a very complex and highly intelligent being and your buffoonery is an attempt to hide that fact as in what I posted, the Marianne Williamson analysis, I suspect you feel the need to play small so others will not be cowed in how great you actually are.

But again I do understand the need to fit in as many are scared of intelligence to the point they will ostracise and oppress.

Ben

Nice words, thanks mate :) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.