Kuribo [old account]

St. John's Wort - Emotional Numbness

Kuribo [old account]

St John's Wort is a herbal remedy said to be helpful in treating mild depression. I've been meaning to try it for a while, and I finally did a couple of weeks ago. I can't say I've felt a lot better than usual. The only thing I have noticed is a slightly worrying emotional numbness - not when it comes to my interests, but in relation to other human beings. I go through short periods of social exhaustion, but they don't usually last as long as this one, and they don't involve a complete lack of care and empathy, even for my closest friends.

That's what I'm worried about; I suddenly seem incapable of caring about people. The welfare of my friends is of no concern to me, and this has only been the case for about one week. It's possible that this is just an extended period of social exhaustion, brought on by underlying stress as I'll be starting college soon. I'm going to keep an open mind, but I'm also going to stop taking the medication this week to see if it is the cause of this.

Apologies if I've seemed distant lately.

jenny.wren76

I am just beginning to study herbal medicine. The thing with St John's Wort is that you need to have it in your system for a couple of months before it really has a noticeable affect.

Something that has helped my son, as he is agoraphobic due to bullying in this neighborhood, is he has just this week started taking a vitamin D supplement. It's called sunshine mist, I ordered it from Amazon. He has also stopped having achy legs since he started taking it, and he'd been having achy legs for a few weeks.

With any herbal remedy, they say if it's a chronic condition you're treating then keep in mind that however many years you've been dealing with the condition it will take an equal amount of months for it to be fully improved. So, if it's been 6 years of depression, then 6 months of herbal remedy before you feel much better.

Shōnen Bat

With any herbal remedy, they say if it's a chronic condition you're treating then keep in mind that however many years you've been dealing with the condition it will take an equal amount of months for it to be fully improved. So, if it's been 6 years of depression, then 6 months of herbal remedy before you feel much better.

Uhhhh..what?  Are you sure about that, because it sounds very wrong.

Kuribo - Jenny is right in one sense. You may not have felt the effects yet (most of the active ingredients are monoamine reuptake inhibitors of various classes). However (based on purely anecdotal evidence) the numbness you mention is fairly common for at least 2 of those classes, so that may well be a sign of it working. In any case be aware that there may be some withdrawal (there is for the active ingredients).

Edited by Shōnen Bat

L Lawliet

I tried it once but it didn't do anything for me. My friends have said that it never really did anything for them a part from, as you've said, an emotional numbness. They didn't like that feeling as they said it made them feel even more disconnected from people than they already felt.

I know that doctors disprove of it because people with depression try this before asking them for help and it can mask more serious symptoms of depression. Then people don't get the proper help they need.

Kalms helped me more with my anxiety, exercise helped with my depression and eating healthily helped to. The herbal Nytol helped me get a few good nights sleep with helped with my mood. You only take that for three days.

Hope you're ok Kuribo x

jenny.wren76

Uhhhh..what?  Are you sure about that, because it sounds very wrong.

Yes, I'm sure I've read that in a few places.

Shōnen Bat

Yes, I'm sure I've read that in a few places.

Yes, I've seen it a couple of times myself. However I'm afraid I didn't phrase my question very well, what I meant was have you seen anything to suggest this idea has any grounding in reality?

L Lawliet

Yes, I've seen it a couple of times myself. However I'm afraid I didn't phrase my question very well, what I meant was have you seen anything to suggest this idea has any grounding in reality?

I thought they said this about love. It takes however many years you where in love with the person to get over them :)

Shōnen Bat

I thought they said this about love. It takes however many years you where in love with the person to get over them :)

lol! Well from my own experience that is true only in terms of the mean average! :P

Poppet

I took St. John's when I was in high school. I didn't notice any positive changes because of it. I can't speak for negative changes really because I was already very depressed and struggling with self harm, so who's to say things got worse because of St. John's? Plus it was so many years ago I can't really remember... I just wasn't impressed in any way.

One thing I wanted to mention though to any girls out there. St. John's Wort can mess with you birth control and render it ineffective. Be very careful about prescription or herbal medicines even if they seem harmless because it can definitely mess with meds you already take or allergies you have. It's best to just talk with your doctor about it! I had never heard about St. John's Wort messing with birth control until years after starting birth control, living on my own, going through a depression, and researching St. John's before giving it another shot. I found out about the complications it causes and am super lucky I didn't start using it before researching and getting pregnant by accident! :S