specialstar

Where I live issues with a staff member

specialstar

I have been told off today by a support worker who don't now well and hate for being autistic. Basically I was playing with there stationary drawer as usual that's what my autism tend to do but she told me off saying I'm not a child. I can't help fiddling that' my autism. So basically not allowed to be myself

Toran

I would say that any living area you are in as long as damage isn't done to any property is ok. Habits can be annoying granted but so say normal people do things that anot me that's life unfortunately. Anyone who is there to support you should know this and anything of importance shouldn't be kept in an open area anyway. As long as no damage or harm is done then there shouldn't be a problem as I see it, I have my own comfort mechanisms other people may think I'm mad but they dont understand me so I won't let them make me feel bad.

Sofi

I think that's quite ridiculous for a support worker to say that to you. They should understand more than anyone what it is like to live with something like Autism. If there was a problem, he/she could have provided you with an alternative thing to do if whatever you were doing was bothering people, I guess...

You weren't doing anything wrong.

What sort of place is it where you live?

specialstar
I think that's quite ridiculous for a support worker to say that to you. They should understand more than anyone what it is like to live with something like Autism. If there was a problem, he/she could have provided you with an alternative thing to do if whatever you were doing was bothering people, I guess...

You weren't doing anything wrong.

What sort of place is it where you live?

I live in Supported Housing..

specialstar
I would say that any living area you are in as long as damage isn't done to any property is ok. Habits can be annoying granted but so say normal people do things that anot me that's life unfortunately. Anyone who is there to support you should know this and anything of importance shouldn't be kept in an open area anyway. As long as no damage or harm is done then there shouldn't be a problem as I see it, I have my own comfort mechanisms other people may think I'm mad but they dont understand me so I won't let them make me feel bad.

Thats not the point, I am not doing any damage whatsoever. The point i am making is basically i get told off because I am acting like a child, but i cannot help it that is part of my autism. They should respect me. 

Andy

In such environments as which you live you have to understand the role of support workers involves them understanding about your condition, but in understanding about your condition it does not excuse you from doing what might annoy others if you know it might annoy others where depending on what you were doing exactly with that drawer and for how long might be annoying to others and did they ask you to stop what you were doing before they had to say you were not a child ?

As to understand if that is what was said alone, it could have been an annoyed outburst, someone reaching the end of their self contained irritation and not anything to do with denigrating you because you are autistic. You might simply have been annoying someone and their contained irritation resulting is an outburst such as that might also be because as a support worker they know the autistic can be fiddlesome and they had just had enough of it at that point in time.

Part of learning to be better is not to defer to a diagnosed issue and where occurrences happen, learn from it, learn to better yourself or else deferring to a condition all the time will annoy others because as I asked on that other forum, Is an ASD diagnosis an excuse to misbehave, I asked such because many a neuro typical believe it is and hence perhaps you found one who suggested you were not a child.

Andy
Thats not the point, I am not doing any damage whatsoever. The point i am making is basically i get told off because I am acting like a child, but i cannot help it that is part of my autism. They should respect me. 

Why ?

Why should they respect you, because you have a diagnosis ?

Do you think you are special ?

Toran

How come you decided to move?

specialstar
In such environments as which you live you have to understand the role of support workers involves them understanding about your condition, but in understanding about your condition it does not excuse you from doing what might annoy others if you know it might annoy others where depending on what you were doing exactly with that drawer and for how long might be annoying to others and did they ask you to stop what you were doing before they had to say you were not a child ?

As to understand if that is what was said alone, it could have been an annoyed outburst, someone reaching the end of their self contained irritation and not anything to do with denigrating you because you are autistic. You might simply have been annoying someone and their contained irritation resulting is an outburst such as that might also be because as a support worker they know the autistic can be fiddlesome and they had just had enough of it at that point in time.

Part of learning to be better is not to defer to a diagnosed issue and where occurrences happen, learn from it, learn to better yourself or else deferring to a condition all the time will annoy others because as I asked on that other forum, Is an ASD diagnosis an excuse to misbehave, I asked such because many a neuro typical believe it is and hence perhaps you found one who suggested you were not a child.

Sorry this post has just upset me. No I did not do it to annoy others, its a coping mechanism i do daily in my room where ever i am i need to fiddle because of my anxiety. She told me stop acting like a child. I was not being naughty either. 

specialstar

Now I am crying because u think im using it as an excuse, i am simply trying to fact out i use it to cope with my anxiety not to annoy others.