Akirasugoineko

Do you play book roleplaying games?

Akirasugoineko

I have played the following book RPG.

Buffy the vampire.RPG (Got all the books, pitty they closed it down before all books they planed to release got out.)

Angel RPG (The tv show spin off from Buffy)

EON (Swedish fantasy)

Neo Tech (Swedish Sci fi)

RPG´s I would like to play

Firefly RPG

Star Trek RPG

Dungeon and Dragons.

Fave RPG

I played the buffy RPG when I was obsessed with the buffy the vampire TV show. I knew the characters and the world and everything so well. Was amazingly fun to make episoded to play wiht my friends who also knew alot about the TV show.

The buffy universe is so wide. I made episoded with technology, time travel, magic, monsters, problme solving, character twists. 

And we had alot of fun with doing stuff like out characters doing things that the characters in buffy do aswell. Like our watcher taking of her glasses alot and so on. Also its fun too play around with the language like they do in the TV show. Was harder to do it in swedish thou. 

Heather

Do you mean like text/forum based RPG right?  Because I used to be addicted to it.  I don't really do it anymore.  But I used to be obsessed/addicted to the Lord of the Rings trilogy a few years ago.. almost 10 years now (I think I remember joining that forum around January 2004 so almost exactly 9 years ago).. wow.. long time. :o  and that was my first real experience with any sort of forum too.  That then lead into Harry Potter roleplaying, which was also a pretty big genre.. but then I also tried looking into Harvest Moon (video game) roleplaying, but that was not as long lasting.  I think I played with a few other ones, but again, not so long lasting.  I have never really gotten into any of the genres you mentioned though, unfortunately.

Alex

I dont think I've ever played a proper book RPG, though I did read a book once, where the reader chose what the character did and the book had several different endings.

I love RP video games though. I play them alot, and often find myself a bit too obsessed with them :D

Akirasugoineko
Do you mean like text/forum based RPG right?  Because I used to be addicted to it.  I don't really do it anymore.  But I used to be obsessed/addicted to the Lord of the Rings trilogy a few years ago.. almost 10 years now (I think I remember joining that forum around January 2004 so almost exactly 9 years ago).. wow.. long time. :o  and that was my first real experience with any sort of forum too.  That then lead into Harry Potter roleplaying, which was also a pretty big genre.. but then I also tried looking into Harvest Moon (video game) roleplaying, but that was not as long lasting.  I think I played with a few other ones, but again, not so long lasting.  I have never really gotten into any of the genres you mentioned though, unfortunately.

I meant RPG books where you have a rule book and dice. But Text/forum RPG is kinda the same category. I done alot of those aswell. 

Akirasugoineko
I dont think I've ever played a proper book RPG, though I did read a book once, where the reader chose what the character did and the book had several different endings.

I love RP video games though. I play them alot, and often find myself a bit too obsessed with them :D

Yeah RPG games are great too. I love it wen you really create an unique character with unique looks and have alot of choices in the story.  Also MMORPG like World of warcraft is great fun and interactive.

Heather
I meant RPG books where you have a rule book and dice. But Text/forum RPG is kinda the same category. I done alot of those aswell. 

I read this before but didn't respond.  I realized now you did say "book roleplaying games" but I've never actually played them so my mind jumped right to "Role playing games based on a book".  haha :D  But all RPGs are pretty interesting I think.  I just never hung out with people who would play them and would never have the courage to start something like that!

Ben

I don't do book role playing games, but when the house is empty, i do trash talk into a toy microphone like a wrestler. And then hit the dog with a rock bottom. 

LOL you think i'm joking don't you? hahahahaaha. 

filamentous hyphae

My favorite Pen & Paper RPG is, and probably always will be, Dungeons & Dragons. I played it as a kid (in the early 80's) and I still do from time to time. Honestly, I have always spent more time creating original maps, NPCs, and adventures then I do playing. I like the nitty gritty of creating worlds or fleshing out existing ones. For me, the excitement comes in the creation, and not so much in the playing. I can spend hours in front of the computer thinking of plot devices and writing up stories.  It fulfills the obsessions of writing and illustration at the same time, which is quite handy.

When I do have time to play, I usually prefer to be the Dungeon Master (the fellow who tells the players what they see and hear and also plays the roles of everyone the players encounter).

Here's some excerpts from an classic adventure that I'm basically rewriting from scratch to work with the more modern set of D&D rules:

http://media.cmcdn.net/15263842/780x1009.webp

http://media.cmcdn.net/15263887/780x1009.webp

http://media.cmcdn.net/15263892/780x1009.webp

Please ignore the typos and other oddities. It's still a work-in-progress.

Mike_GX101

I had one of these when I was younger.  It was a good book.  I don't remember where it came from.  I don't remember what it was called.  But I loved it!  At the start on page 1 you'd be given four options - 1/ walk through the door, 2/ drop down the hole, 3/ go up the stairs, 4/ stay where you are.  Each option would have a page number to go to.

So option 3 would lead to say page 28 which would be the top of those stairs and again you'd be confronted with some options.  Some times there were no options except to go to page 56 (for example).  Some options would lead to dead-ends or deep dark pits with slimy slithering snakes with no way out and the story would end!  Others would take you to pots of gold and rainbows or maybe even freedom!!

I used to love that book.  If only I remembered what it was called...

Edited by Mike_GX101

Nesf

Nope, this is one thing I've never been into, neither books nor computer games. Even as a kid I was never into any kind of imaginary play beyond building forts out of snow and having snowfights with my siblings.