Toran

summers coming

Toran

I've never been one for holidays different places new environment in hotels villas caravans etc. I like the concept of holidays but find the whole experience a lot to handle. I've been to France once and manorca one. France was a driving holiday which was better than manorca which was a package holiday but detested the flight as I hate being shut in so it was silly but my partner at the time didn't understand and I felt I had to go needless to say it was a disaster but France was tolerable. How do you all feel about holidays and where have you been did you find it enjoyable or couldn't wait to get home.

Sofi

I don't like holidays either, I really hate them and I don't see the point in them. I have a fine place to live here, I don't understand going somewhere else for a while where I don't know, disrupting my routine and probably have nothing to do without the things I enjoy doing in my house.

In the past, in my childhood, I have been on a few holidays including other places in the UK, France, Austria, Canada & USA. I think I was difficult in my behaviour on the holidays when I was a child so I am sure it was stressful for my mum. As I got older, I decided I hated them and we have stopped going on holidays now. I guess it saves money too. When my mum is off work for a holiday and my brother is off school, we sometimes do different things nearby like going to the beach, the cinema, museum, restaurant (maybe), walking up hills. I can deal with those things, because we can go right back home after!

When I was at school, I went on some trips that were like holidays, including one to Disneyland in Paris where there was an autism workshop event type of thing. When we got there, though, my teacher just said to us "Don't bother with the workshop, let's just go on the rides" A bit strange, but I enjoyed that trip the most - maybe it was because I wasn't with my family! 

Arthur
I don't like holidays either, I really hate them and I don't see the point in them. I have a fine place to live here, I don't understand going somewhere else for a while where I don't know, disrupting my routine and probably have nothing to do without the things I enjoy doing in my house.

In the past, in my childhood, I have been on a few holidays including other places in the UK, France, Austria, Canada & USA. I think I was difficult in my behaviour on the holidays when I was a child so I am sure it was stressful for my mum. As I got older, I decided I hated them and we have stopped going on holidays now. I guess it saves money too. When my mum is off work for a holiday and my brother is off school, we sometimes do different things nearby like going to the beach, the cinema, museum, restaurant (maybe), walking up hills. I can deal with those things, because we can go right back home after!

When I was at school, I went on some trips that were like holidays, including one to Disneyland in Paris where there was an autism workshop event type of thing. When we got there, though, my teacher just said to us "Don't bother with the workshop, let's just go on the rides" A bit strange, but I enjoyed that trip the most - maybe it was because I wasn't with my family! 

Oh cool so you visited Paris when went to Disneyland. And yes it's always much more fun to go visit some place with out you parents. 

What did think of the city?

Sofi
Oh cool so you visited Paris when went to Disneyland. And yes it's always much more fun to go visit some place with out you parents. 

What did think of the city?

I thought it was nice. We took a coach to Disneyland and stayed in a hotel there in the park (cowboy theme). We went to some shops and a restaurant in Paris too, I don't know where exactly. This was in March 2006. 

With my family when I was younger, we went to the south of France (Biarritz) 

iggy

I've been to Canada once, which was last summer, and it was the best thing ever. We did some driving and a lot of flying, which wasn't so good but all the stuff in between was good. The jet lag affected me a lot when we came back to England though.

I've also been to various places in England such as Cornwall and the Lake District. That's fun if you don't mind a cold wind and the holidays are not too long which I like.

My family went on holiday with some of my aunts/ uncles in Malta but that was too hot and being a pale person I had serval layers of sunburn!

Toran

I have been to places in thid country but prefer just to have days out where you can be home and in your own bed on an evening. I try to go when its quiet and choose places that wont be packed with people becsuse then its not as enjoyable .

Andy

Can't wait for summer or rather, better weather as I have come to the conclusion I am solar powered, I hate this constant grey weather and I need to feel warmth on my skin again because I am so much more happier and positive in warm sunny weather where I do not bask, I am just more active.

Holidays, well I have spent a lot of time in the Middle East and I do miss it, the desert in the summer- love it and I like the people as well, they are not as the negative in this part of the world portray them and I have never had a problem with people out there unlike here.

But I have also visited Scandinavia a lot not Finland and Norway yet nor Iceland and I have visited the Algarve of Portugal many times and very nearly took up residence there and Andalusia of Spain where the observant might notice I am attracted to the Arabesque for the Al Gharb and Al Andalus still have Moorish influence.

I have also visited Poland, Latvia and Lithuania and Gotland.

My next plan as soon as when I have the funds is I wish to see the crossroads of civilisation by visiting and absorbing Turkey, particularly Istanbul where I have always wanted to see the Hagia Sophia and the Topkapi Palace because of my interest in the Ottoman.

But maybe before Turkey I can slide in a few days in Granada as I wish to view the Alhambra.

Then it's India I want to visit, but not a week I need at least a month, then Thailand

My holidays are not about basking, sitting on beaches and all that, me, I am on information gathering exercises, experiences, sights, sounds, feelings and smells, new input for the furnace of my mind.

And something else, where there is a language difficulty, I actually do communicate better as I guess people elsewhere are less judgemental and if they see others trying they will reward that by accommodating those that try.

Willow

I can't wait for the summer! As for holidays though, we can't really afford to go anywhere at the moment :(

In the past I have been lost of places in the UK, mostly as a child with my Dad; Cornwall, Scarborough, The Lake District, Whitby and some other seaside places around the Whitby area. I've been to all of these places several times. And then I've been to Disneyland Paris 3 times, Benidorm in Spain (didn't really like it) and Tsilivi, Zakynthos in Greece - which I enjoyed.

I love holidays. Me and Chris have been to Wales a few times and Scarborough. I've never really had an issue with holidays, so long as I'm prepared :)

I can't wait to go to the USA, I wish we had a trip planned sometime soon, but...money etc. :(

Can't wait for summer or rather, better weather as I have come to the conclusion I am solar powered, I hate this constant grey weather and I need to feel warmth on my skin again because I am so much more happier and positive in warm sunny weather.

hehe that's a good way of putting it! Me too, I think :D

Andy
I can't wait for the summer! As for holidays though, we can't really afford to go anywhere at the moment :(

In the past I have been lost of places in the UK, mostly as a child with my Dad; Cornwall, Scarborough, The Lake District, Whitby and some other seaside places around the Whitby area. I've been to all of these places several times. And then I've been to Disneyland Paris 3 times, Benidorm in Spain (didn't really like it) and Tsilivi, Zakynthos in Greece - which I enjoyed.

I love holidays. Me and Chris have been to Wales a few times and Scarborough. I've never really had an issue with holidays, so long as I'm prepared :)

I can't wait to go to the USA, I wish we had a trip planned sometime soon, but...money etc. :(

hehe that's a good way of putting it! Me too, I think :D

A lot of people do believe the British are so miserable because we have so little light and it's always raining and usually cold and it could be why Britons of the past sought to conquer warmer countries because they too were fed up with Britain's climate.

And I am inclined to agree as those in Scandinavia up in the Arctic circle, the rate of depression and suicide is the highest in Europe and it has been put down to so little light where the winters are long and the summers short.

But for next winter I am going to reinstall daylight balanced light bulbs in my house for they do make a difference this winter proved that as I didn't have them this winter, but also for next winter I am going to get a light box like those with SAD use as I do recognise my low mood is caused by low light. And so my mac screen, the colour balance I have shifted to warmer than standard as I also recognise looking at a computer screen is cold light.

But if you wish to holiday abroad cheaply look for a package deal towards the end of the season, look for the late deals to go anywhere and just do it as it was in the past i used to take the package deals to get to the Algarve at the end of the season, sure the weather was not the best but at least it was warmer than here and that's a plus, also everything else was cheaper and it was a break from here, a week away from here and for two it cost about £300 all in.

Package deals are really not my thing but they serve a purpose; cheap flights and transfers included, also cheap apartments where when one is there after the rep babble one just does their own thing and does not use the package laid on stuff, it's a cheap way of doing things and good when cash is tight. When I used to do it I use to hire a car and just go off each day ranging in different directions seeking out what I was interested in seeing and sod the beach.

Sofi
 and Tsilivi, Zakynthos in Greece - which I enjoyed.

*Jealous* As much as I hate holidays, I would go to Greece tomorrow if I could. I should have mentioned that when I first replied. I would love to go to Greece. Maybe not that particular area though - I hear some parts there can be really loud at night. 

I have been to places in thid country but prefer just to have days out where you can be home and in your own bed on an evening. I try to go when its quiet and choose places that wont be packed with people becsuse then its not as enjoyable .

I agree with you on that. Whenever we go out somewhere different, I always try to find a time it won't be busy, such as when tourists come to my area, we won't go to certain places then.

Where have you been?