Toran

summers coming

Sofi
I had a friend that lived there... must have been there at least 7 or so times.  3 times was to go to a 7 day music festival with her... 21 days of my life spent on an island in Budapest... fun times :)

I forgot to mention I've also been to Dublin a couple of times, loads of visits to Scotland as well :)  I've travelled a lot through England as well.  I used to travel A LOT to be fair, but not really traveled much since in the last year or so, just once to London and near Glasgow.

Interesting. You must be very independent. I am from Edinburgh. Did you like it?

mary
Interesting. You must be very independent. I am from Edinburgh. Did you like it?

Pretty much, I guess.  I traveled here to the UK by myself to start a job that I found in a paper while I still lived in Perth!! haha... nothing really stops me from doing much.  I was going to spend a year here traveling and working but my mum and brother decided they wanted to move out here.  Most of the trips I have made have been on my own, although I may have met up with or stayed with other people while on trips at times.

I love Scotland... my aunt and uncle live in Overtown, so we've been up there a fair bit, and been into Glasgow and Edinburgh a fair bit.  I really like Edinburgh :)

Heather
Very interesting! Your trips to the UK sound great. I think you will see lots of new places in the UK on your next trip :P  I think you're really brave going on the long flight by yourself. I don't think I could do that but I suppose if I really wanted to meet someone at the other side of the Atlantic, I might work up to it! 

Yes I think I will see lots of new places in the UK this next trip too. :D  I feel really proud of myself for going on the long trip by myself.  I was pretty nervous before my first flight and always have a bit of nerves but now after getting through so many, I get excited by planes a lot more and airports.  :D  I think my excitedness about where I am going overrides most of my nervousness about flying.  Though my biggest anxieties come when I go through security and immigrations!  I get so nervous that they are going to think I'm someone bad or have bad intent. :(  But I've made it through every time and then feel good about myself.  It makes me feel so independent. :D  I get excited now seeing "travel" things but then get sad if it's not for the UK.. haha

I also want to go to Germany one day because both my boyfriend and I have some German heritage. :)  And maybe I will go to South Korea some day, especially if my sister stays out there longer than a year ( she just left at the end of February ).

Erythrura

It would be great to go to new places and experience different climates and cultures! I'd like to see what the rest of the world is like instead of staying on this island for the rest of my life (as much as I love this place). 

Summer has just ended here. I can't notice the difference, however, as the weather today is almost 40 degrees Celsius. Plenty of sun exposure here, that's why my country has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. We make up for it by having nice beaches. 

iggy

After a fresh layer of snow on the ground today, I have to wonder if you are a bit premature saying "summers coming"....

Toran
After a fresh layer of snow on the ground today, I have to wonder if you are a bit premature saying "summers coming"....

I have to agree with you on that it feels like the middle of winter here. Havent had any snow here but the wind is quite strong and its freezing cold horrible to wake up too.

Toran
It would be great to go to new places and experience different climates and cultures! I'd like to see what the rest of the world is like instead of staying on this island for the rest of my life (as much as I love this place). 

Summer has just ended here. I can't notice the difference, however, as the weather today is almost 40 degrees Celsius. Plenty of sun exposure here, that's why my country has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. We make up for it by having nice beaches. 

I thought it would be good to see other countys and cultures which is why I went to another country on two occasions. Now ive done thst im happy to stay in england I find travelling quite traumatic if im honest so cant see myself going far in the future but experience has taught me never to rule anything out because life has a way of surprising you.

Andy

Travelling is stressful, but it can be fun what I do when I travel is create itineraries what should be the ideal if everything goes to plan and what if itineraries in case things go wrong that way you are aware of possibilities and know what to do before something occurs but on the whole nothing really goes wrong as I allow more time than is suggested to be in places to pick up connections and leave nothing to chance.

I also travel light, everything in one bag and the bag I use holds a maximum of 40 litres as this is the maximum size for overhead luggage compartments on most aircraft, it has a backpack harness that can be zipped away, grab handles on all sides and a detachable shoulder strap, it aso has a zip off smaller bag which just happens to be right size for a lap top. I wear a field jacket when travelling  with loads of big voluminous pockets and if carrying my DSLR I break it down amongst the pockets and fit the body caps, when I ran film SLR's the little Pentax's I used to use were tiny, they could fit in very small spaces and were tough, but DSLR's are stupidly bigger and a problem and not so tough although my Nikon has taken a battering over the years. Field jackets are military and travelling in military wear is not advisable is some parts of the world so I acid dye camouflage jackets and give them colours that are not military. I also carry a waterproof poncho that goes over everything and I can walk in the rain if need be as I always travel in boots, never soft footwear, my boots are modified to have zips instead of laces they come of and go back on again quickly.

I also regularly consult student and reportage travel websites to know what to avoid in certain places, as other authorities are constantly changing their policies and so understand when travelling try to blend in not stand out.

On the whole any transportation other than what goes by road is trustworthy it arrives on time or within time, road transport I don't trust so will get an earlier service to keep my stress levels down.

But the UK is an island or collection of islands and people that stay on islands tend to become insular and many are in the UK which I believe is not healthy as their attitudes show for narrowed minds and fear of foreigners often come with island dwellers, where when I hear the insular spouting I dig back into my experiences of foreigners in their own lands and disagree for there is more to other people than what political borders say, they are just the same as us but those that don't live on islands tend to be more accepting of others and open minded.

And so as I said I have never had any problems with anyone abroad, only here in this country which speaks volumes, those I have problems with are insular, they are narrow minded and intolerant hence the problems.

mary

I came from a rather large, but very isolated, island... I got bored, hence I traveled and found my way here!

Arthur

Here are all the trips I can remember. St Lucia, Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Florida,  Hilton Head Island South Carolina, Washington DC, New-York city,  Niagara falls, Ottawa Canada, Montreal, Bali Indonesia, Bangkok Thailand, Vietnam Hanoi, Cambodia Anchor Watt, China the silk road Kashgar, Hongkong, Singapore. 

If wondering why so many trips I lived in the USA from 1994-1998 Canada 1999-2005 and China 2005-2008.