Toran

summers coming

Andy
I came from a rather large, but very isolated, island... I got bored, hence I traveled and found my way here!

Australia is the dominant part of a separate continent, it's hardly an island despite being one, unlike here where one can drive coast to coast in a day.

Arthur
I came from a rather large, but very isolated, island... I got bored, hence I traveled and found my way here!

So you have dual nationality Australian and UK? 

Toran
Australia is the dominant part of a separate continent, it's hardly an island despite being one, unlike here where one can drive coast to coast in a day.

Have to disagree there in my car driving from coast to coast is a debatable subject lol

mary

Granted Australia is technically a continent but it is still often referred to as an island, given that it is surrounded completely by water and no other land mass / continent connects to it.  Those of us that live there often feel it is an island as well, given that we are so isolated from other countries.

Geographically, Australia is a continent, not an island. As a landform, it could be considered an island as it is entirely surrounded by water and not joined onto any other land mass. For this reason, it is often referred to as an island continent. Australia is too big to be formally classified as an island. The world's largest island is Greenland.

So you have dual nationality Australian and UK? 

Yes, I do :)

Andy
Yes, I do :)

Lucky sod !

I have two living near me, two Aussies, one is on benefits and intends not to work and the other is working despite being a drug addict and because of his recreation he has been deported from Hong Kong, but both are free to return to Oz whenever they like because they both hold dual nationality, whereas with us, the British we have to accrue points to emigrate to Australia, where all my childhood friends, every one of them now lives in Oz and I can no longer apply.

iggy
Lucky sod !

I have two living near me, two Aussies, one is on benefits and intends not to work and the other is working despite being a drug addict and because of his recreation he has been deported from Hong Kong, but both are free to return to Oz whenever they like because they both hold dual nationality, whereas with us, the British we have to accrue points to emigrate to Australia, where all my childhood friends, every one of them now lives in Oz and I can no longer apply.

I thought people were actively being encouraged to emigrate to Australia? My aunts neighbour did a few years ago after attending some sort of event to get people to go to Australia. Have they stopped that now?

mary
Lucky sod !

I thought people were actively being encouraged to emigrate to Australia? My aunts neighbour did a few years ago after attending some sort of event to get people to go to Australia. Have they stopped that now?

I do believe that you still need to accrue points, at least last I heard people did.  But that's because Australia has a very strict immigration policy, and to be fair I hold dual nationality because all of my family, besides myself and my brother, are from the UK.  Just as my nephew can hold dual nationality because my brother is Australian, even though he was born in the UK.

My mum and dad (although separately) moved over to Australia with their families when they were younger and people were being encouraged to emigrate by boat.  Some of my uncles who decided not to go at that time were then unable to emigrate as they didn't score enough points when trying to enter.

They've always encouraged people to try and emigrate if they have a job that the country needs people to do, ie a long time back it was builders, roofers etc.  Now it's nurses, doctors, that sort of thing.

I don't think it's a bad idea that countries do this, afterall it stops immigration being so willy nilly and means that the country isn't over populated, with no way of knowing the true extent of immigration, as our government here has admitted to.

Toran

Thats always depending on skills I think, the nhs recruitment from abroad was criticised for drawing away doctors from countrys that desperately needed them. I am guessing here but I surpose a country wants people who have skills and qualifications not people with little to offer I surpose which is how they select candidates.

Toran

I certainly spoke to soon its freezing here in Bristol had snow showers but thankfully it hasnt pitched. Got the Central heating on again its right back to the middle of winter they say that we have to have this for awhile now so looks like summers back on hold

Arthur
I certainly spoke to soon its freezing here in Bristol had snow showers but thankfully it hasnt pitched. Got the Central heating on again its right back to the middle of winter they say that we have to have this for awhile now so looks like summers back on hold

It's snowing in Paris 2°C, this is depressing we had 15°C on Saturday and sun.