L Lawliet

Derren Brown & Aspie Body Language

L Lawliet

So I think Derren Brown is amazing. I went to see him live a couple of years a go and he really does have wow factor.

The main reason I really like him is because he never claims supernatural powers or magic, he always states that his tricks and illusions are all through the power of suggestion and other tricks and techniques to do with manipulating the mind.

So I wonder...would he find doing tricks on Aspies difficult? We don't have the same body language, so reading us would be hard for him and I doubt manipulating us with his body language would work either being that our brains can't physically read people. However, I did also think that due to our inability to "read between the lines" it might make us quite susceptible, because I don't know about you guys, but I'm quite gullible when people tell me things, so maybe that could be a factor...

So do you think Derren Brown would work on you? :lol:

L Lawliet

For those who don't know who he is:

Xenolith

It's a very interesting question and I've wondered the same thing too, not necessarily with this guy but with this kind of 'magic' in general. My guess is that we would still be susceptible, but the only way we could know is by trying it out!

thegingerone

A few years ago, I had a slight obsession with the idea of hypnotism and hypnotic suggestion.  I never got past doing anything other than simple arm lifting and things like that, but I remember often finding it really hard to use the correct tones and sounds in my voice and working out how susceptible someone was through body language was near impossible.

There are loads of susceptibility tests you can do over YouTube (some are better than others) and I had another friend who was also into hypnosis at the time, so we could 'practice' with each other.  What we found was that some of the susceptibility tests worked really well on me, while others had no effect at all.  I always thought that it may have had something to do with my different ways of thinking and perceiving.

L Lawliet

A few years ago, I had a slight obsession with the idea of hypnotism and hypnotic suggestion.  I never got past doing anything other than simple arm lifting and things like that, but I remember often finding it really hard to use the correct tones and sounds in my voice and working out how susceptible someone was through body language was near impossible.

There are loads of susceptibility tests you can do over YouTube (some are better than others) and I had another friend who was also into hypnosis at the time, so we could 'practice' with each other.  What we found was that some of the susceptibility tests worked really well on me, while others had no effect at all.  I always thought that it may have had something to do with my different ways of thinking and perceiving.

I always used to buy those magic sets from toy shops, but I never had the patience to learn them properly :P I was also really clumsy with the "slight of hand" tricks, so people always noticed me hide something in the other hand.

I was speaking to my boyfriend abou this yesterday and he reminded me that when we went to see him live, he had a few volunteers up on stage. There was one woman and when it came to her turn he looked at her and said "I'm sorry but this doesn't work on some people, and unfortunately you are one of those people". I wonder now if she was an Aspie :lol:

I never get the right numbers when he's telling the audience to think of any number. My family were all like "number 4!" and I was thinking "6". Haha! I think I'm missing something somehwere!

HalfFull

There was one woman and when it came to her turn he looked at her and said "I'm sorry but this doesn't work on some people, and unfortunately you are one of those people". I wonder now if she was an Aspie :lol:

Maybe go to see him again and volunteer to see if it happens to you  :lol: . If so, then maybe they should instead use hypnotists to diagnose AS lol. Do you remember thinking yourself that the lady seemed a bit different?

L Lawliet

Maybe go to see him again and volunteer to see if it happens to you  :lol: . If so, then maybe they should instead use hypnotists to diagnose AS lol. Do you remember thinking yourself that the lady seemed a bit different?

Haha! Yeah foolproof diagnosis! :P I don't really remember to be honest. I remember him saying it now my memory's been jogged but I can't remember what she was like.

(deleted)

This is quite interesting LOL...

I once tried a few hypnosis videos on YouTube but none of them worked on me. My mind was just too active and every time I started dropping off I would suddenly feel like I have to stim LOL!!! It happened like literally every single time with every single video although I have no idea why... (One thing by the way is that those videos never work twice because you already know what they're going to say.)

Edited by invisible

(deleted)

I was just reading this LOL:

Induction 8: The Hypnotic Gaze Induction

For the Hypnotic Gaze, just as with the Crystal Ball Induction using a little crystal ball to
fixate their attention, now you're going to use your eyes, your hypnotic eyes. There are a
couple of secrets to make this work.
Number one, if you find yourself going into hypnosis rather than them, you may want to
look through their eyes. Or better still, look at the root of their nose, the space between
where their eyes meet. As far as they're concerned, as you look at that spot it still looks as
though you're looking at them, but for you it's a little bit less fatiguing to look there than
directly into someone else’s eyes.
Whilst you're looking directly inside their eyes you're doing the same thing as before.
“Your eyes are getting sleepy, heavy and tired. Close your eyes.” For some reason, the
Hypnotic Gaze actually is more powerful than many of the other focal points because
when people look at us, we feel under emotional pressure as well.
Be careful with this induction. Some people will start getting so nervous that they can't
go into trance. If you see that happening, just switch to a different point of focus.

That must be so difficult for an aspie LOL!!! The part about where the hypnotist goes into hypnosis rather than the subject was really funny as well LOL!!! Also I seem to think that the last paragraph's point about "some poeple will start getting nervous" can only be referring to aspies as far as I can tell LOL!!!

Edited by invisible

Dolphin

I'm a big fan of Derren Brown and have also been to see his shows. I think his 'tricks' would work on Aspies as it is based on psychology and unconscious, natural body language rather than social rules that Aspies find difficult to learn. I think most of the body language apart from the learnt stuff is there. It also probably depends on the person too and exactly how the Aspergers affects them personally