Bevalien

Can aspies be teachers?

Bevalien

Hi,

I've had a rocky career path to say the least but recently started some self employed work and found it to be rewarding. However, speaking to clients and the uncertainty of work load makes me anxious and I would prefer to have some regular part-time work alongside.

I have a teaching qualification and in the past I've taught at post-compulsory level and have found that I can be an enspiring teacher, even though I find it stressful. However, my last role went horribly wrong and I was exploited on a zero hours contract and constantly monitored and made to feel anxious by collegues.

After this I stopped teaching for a while and got a job as a CAD Designer, however this ended in me filing a grievance claim after I was bullied and undermined by a collegue resulting in my employer making me redundant.

I have an interview for a part-time teaching job at a sixth form college tomorrow and an really stressed about it. I feel that I enjoy teaching because I find working with young people rewarding but struggle to know what is expected of me and to get on with staff.

I'm just wondering, if any of you guys are teachers then does it work for you or are you perminantly stressed? Not sure if it will ever work or what I would need to do to make it work?

Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm super anxious atm

Bev

L Lawliet

I'm not a teacher myself, however I think Aspies can be teachers, but I would imagine it to be more taxing for us than NT's doing the job. On the plus side you'll be teaching what I presume is your special interest on a daily basis, so that will be great! You can talk about your special interest until your heart's content and whats better, people will actually have to listen to you :lol: On the downside I imagine it being stressful on occasion and quite hectic, but I think it's rewarding to teach others and I think it would outweigh everything else. Also teaching requires routine which is great for us Aspies.

I think if your heart is in it, you'll be fine. I imagine a lot of teachers are on the spectrum whether they know it or not. At least you're doing it part time so you can get a feel for teaching before committing to a more full time role if you wanted too :)

DominikaCupcake

I am on my way to become a teacher right now and i find it very interesting, but stressing as well. I like to stand in front of people and explain things, but i'm worrying about keeping a discipline in a classroom which is quite of a challenge. I will have my first two practice weeks in November so i will see how i am doing as a teacher.

L Lawliet

Good luck to both of you :)

Xenolith

Having two parents as teachers and having a relatively good insight into what it's like being a teacher, there is no way on earth I would be able to cope teaching in a state secondary school. But obviously, I can't say that would be the same for everyone with Aspergers.

Kuribo [old account]

I don't think I could cope with it. I'm an introvert and I don't like public speaking at all.

If that weren't the case, I'd be happy to become a college tutor, but I couldn't live with myself if I were a school teacher, willfully subjecting people to a needlessly oppressive and authoritarian system that's fundamentally wrong from a moral and logical standpoint. I'm not saying that there aren't good, helpful teachers trying to make the best of a flawed system, I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't feel comfortable being involved in any way whatsoever.

dandelion

I dont know if its the same, but I was the monitor of the first years at university...  preparing lessons, tests and help the students in class, explaining...

I really enjoyed doing it!!!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Nesf

Yes, I think that Aspies can be very good teachers, but the nature of the work and the classroom environment can be very stressful. I am a teacher of English as a foreign language. I worked for many years in private language schools in two different countries, and once in a kindergarten and once in a state school. I taught mainly children in groups of up to 15, but also adults.  I now do private individual tuition only.

When I was teaching in the schools, I found the job very stressful, suffered a burnout and had to stop teaching. These were my main difficulties:

- classroom management / discipline. I was too hesitant and indecisive and had a low presence in the classroom. The kids picked up on it and exploited it.

- having to interact or talk for long periods of time with students: groups with large numbers of students: exausting!! Difficult to keep the students engaged and attentive.

- noisy students and background noise. I was often unable to hear individual students over the noise and was easily distracted. I didn't have a problem with the lighting but others might.

- Staffroom politics and social expectations. I didn't fit in, was exhausted, spent my lunch breaks in the library.

- sudden changes to timetable - difficult to cope with, made me stressed and anxious. Also, changes from one lesson or group to another without a break were too much.

- planning and organization, extra-curricular activities, marking, etc, lack of framework. I was told I had X number of students and that I had to create a course and find materials for them, and then present a written course yearly plan. I found this too much at once and barely coped, I had to be helped a lot with this, which is ok at the very beginning, but at some point they expect you to manage on your own, but I still struggled.

- being observed. Way too stressful, I really couldn't handle this at all.

However, a lot of these difficulties are to do with the school and classroom environment, and not the actual teaching, so if you can work in an environment in which the conditions which create the problems are eliminated, for example background noise at a minimum, lighting down low, then you might not face so many difficulites. Also, a smaller school or private school will have smaller groups and be less demanding.

I still teach, but only individual private tuition. That way I can teach in my own environment, at home, make my own timetable, choose my own materials, I don't have the discipline and interaction difficulties I had with the groups, I work for myself so no staffroom politics. Also, a teacher who is teaching a subject which is a special interest makes a very enthusiastic teacher who can more easily motivate and inspire his or her students, and those kind of teachers are the best ones, not the ones who are just teaching to take home their monthly salary but have no enthusiasm or inspiration.

HalfFull

Well, when I left school it was what I wanted to do until my quiet introverted side got constantly brought up by college tutors. I'm not sure how I'd react with a more cocky pupil but just today I was in touch with an Aspie who is a teacher and absolutely loves it. I think they only teach children with learning difficulties though, so I'm not sure about normal teaching. I also have an Aspie friend who teaches his special interest freelance.

PandaPrincess

I am studying to be a teacher, and at the last school I observed at, the teacher said that everybody there thought something was wrong with me  :( I think she said this to make me work harder, but it was exhausting trying to be "friendly" and "fit in."  It also really made me feel worse, like I wanted to give up.  I'm still studying to be a teacher though.  I have a lot of trouble with classroom management because I just can't tell when a kid is misbehaving.