Akirasugoineko

Tantrums

Akirasugoineko

I noticed that on some people with AS. If they for example cant handle change.  They could get a tantrum. Even if they are adult. 

I am wondering about ways to cope with this. I get that its individual but I wanna know about your view on the matter. 

My experience is thats its best too give the person space or divert the person to think about something else. 

Alex

I used to have tantrums when I was younger, but they were pretty rare... Nowadays, if I get really upset or angry over something, I just go to my room, close the door and lay in bed 'til I feel better...

Mark

I had a lot of tantrums as a child and teenager, but not anymore.  Your experience sounds like the right way to go.

Willow

I had some 'tantrums' as a teenager when everything seemed to be falling apart. It's just a total lack of understanding and you lose sense of everything and you lose control of your body - it's basically a meltdown. For me a meltdown is an intense panic attack, and can sometimes start out as one, but then worsens. I very rarely experience this anymore - I don't panic too often either, but I've just been able to look at what sets me off and eliminate it from my every day life. Not everyone can do that, so I know I am lucky.

Arthur
I noticed that on some people with AS. If they for example cant handle change.  They could get a tantrum. Even if they are adult. 

I am wondering about ways to cope with this. I get that its individual but I wanna know about your view on the matter. 

My experience is thats its best too give the person space or divert the person to think about something else. 

I had tantrums when i was young i would do it when I dint get what i wanted, when i was mad or if i was scared to go to doctor or hospital.

I remember i was going for an MRI i was fighting and kicking and with so much adrenalin the drug to knock me out dint work, so I did not go into the MRI I was scared of the machine. I find i funny to think i was scared of it then.

Willow
I had tantrums when i was young i would do it when I dint get what i wanted, when i was mad or if i was scared to go to doctor or hospital.

I remember i was going for an MRI i was fighting and kicking and with so much adrenalin the drug to knock me out dint work, so I did not go into the MRI I was scared of the machine. I find i funny to think i was scared of it then.

This has just reminded me of an 'episode' I had when I was younger - probably around 5 or 6. I was having some injections at the doctors and the nurse and my Mum had to chase me all around the building and then try and get me to calm down and then my Mum had to hold me really tight so they could do it. :( I've got a phobia of needles. I was offered some therapy for it, but there was a really long waiting list :(

Which leads me on to blood tests - I get so afraid and so panicky that they can't do one, because it would be dangerous. They gave me pills to calm down but they didn't work AT all! :(

Alex
This has just reminded me of an 'episode' I had when I was younger - probably around 5 or 6. I was having some injections at the doctors and the nurse and my Mum had to chase me all around the building and then try and get me to calm down and then my Mum had to hold me really tight so they could do it. :( I've got a phobia of needles. I was offered some therapy for it, but there was a really long waiting list :(

Which leads me on to blood tests - I get so afraid and so panicky that they can't do one, because it would be dangerous. They gave me pills to calm down but they didn't work AT all! :(

Oh no :( I hope you will overcome that fear somehow :)

Arthur

what i do when i get a needle is i look away or get a conversation going to distact me. But i was like you when little with that fear of needle but its gone away now.

Willow
what i do when i get a needle is i look away or get a conversation going to distact me. But i was like you when little with that fear of needle but its gone away now.

I wish I could be like that - I had one blood test but it took me a long time to calm down and I was talking etc, looked away. But the nurse who did it is at my old surgery and I didn't feel comfortable with the nurse at my new surgery. I can't control the panic I get :(

Arthur

Only down side is since they tell not to eat for blood test after 3 4 tube i get light headed and start seeing stars so i have sit down or lay down completly.