Akirasugoineko

Tantrums

Sofi
i find my two weeks notice work's for me as it give's me a week to contemplate it. then a week to panic and try and overcome my fear's of going out and going to a busy waiting room. but i also dislike it when I've got to the point when I'm all calm and ready for the appointment then they change the date or the time or the place. i won't go to my doctor's much as you are not guaranteed to see the same doctor all the time and i don't like that.

Yes me too, when I am finally prepared for it then a change happens. It makes me really angry and probably won't able to properly do whatever the appointment is because of being so upset about the change! 

My doctor surgery won't guarantee the same doctor either, they seem to change their doctors all the time. Anyway, I avoid going to the doctor unless it's essential. I am terrified of the doctors, I have a bad phobia of blood tests, blood pressure, anything like that happening. I've had bad things happen at the doctors before, now I am just terrified!! 

Whoknows

Now that I remember, I think I had more than three in my life. I wouldn't like to mention the details, though. It's something personal to me. I can say that it's as powerful as being struck by spears, swords and bullets.

Jeff
I noticed that on some people with AS. If they for example cant handle change.  They could get a tantrum. Even if they are adult. 

are you talking about a temper tantrum, or a meltdown? Because there is a difference a temper tantrum is the result of a child not get what they want and throwing a rage of anger because of it. A meltdown it the result of someone's flight or fight reflex being triggered and it is telling them to fight:

[img=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Og5tegigNYo/T-Pr0hTgDII/AAAAAAAAc_c/L16KUR7EtBE/s1600/tantrum4.jpg the thing is if some one is having a meltdown what you can do is either leave the person alone, allow them to separate themselfs from the situation, or you can be supportive of the person (by this I do not mean mentioning anything about theiere behavior as this will only make the situation worse for every one, but rather in a calm sootheing voice saying something along the line like "it's alright, it's okay easy easy"

Toran

Ive suffered with this over the years having panic attacks and just thought thats how it was but didnt know what to do about it. Now im aware of things more im taking action to overcome whats the cause of my problems. I think its slightly better than it was but ive still got some way to go but im hopeing eventually I can eliminate them from my life almost completely.

Willow
Ive suffered with this over the years having panic attacks and just thought thats how it was but didnt know what to do about it. Now im aware of things more im taking action to overcome whats the cause of my problems. I think its slightly better than it was but ive still got some way to go but im hopeing eventually I can eliminate them from my life almost completely.

It becomes easier once you start to look at what sets it off. It means you know what to avoid in the future :) 

Nesf

I was infamous for my temper tantrums/meltdowns when I was a kid, I'm better at controling them now but still can't control my emotions well, so I get wound up easily and need to release it. I can get suddenly intensely angry, or intensely emotional, often at something trivial and not being able to put a finger on exactly what causes it, which makes it hard to explain to others in the aftermath.

When I was a kid I had one because I was eating a piece of Battenberg cake, I was trying to hold it in one piece but it kept falling apart, which made me extremely frustrated, and I just freaked out, screaming and crying. No one could understand what the matter with me was. Any normal kid would have just eaten each piece of it seperately, but not me, I have to do it my way or not at all.

RiRi

I noticed that on some people with AS. If they for example cant handle change.  They could get a tantrum. Even if they are adult. 

I am wondering about ways to cope with this. I get that its individual but I wanna know about your view on the matter. 

My experience is thats its best too give the person space or divert the person to think about something else.

Yeah, I don't like change and when things go differently than how I'd like it. What helps for me, is knowing that I am like this, so knowledge and understanding. When something changes I become anxious and really don't like it, I complain too, but I know what I'm going through and that helps me get through it faster and cope with it.

Edited by Makelets

(deleted)

[...] as does seeing live music. Although that usually goes into full panic.

Is that because of sensory overload?

PaganScholar

are you talking about a temper tantrum, or a meltdown? Because there is a difference a temper tantrum is the result of a child not get what they want and throwing a rage of anger because of it. A meltdown it the result of someone's flight or fight reflex being triggered and it is telling them to fight:

[img=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Og5tegigNYo/T-Pr0hTgDII/AAAAAAAAc_c/L16KUR7EtBE/s1600/tantrum4.jpg the thing is if some one is having a meltdown what you can do is either leave the person alone, allow them to separate themselfs from the situation, or you can be supportive of the person (by this I do not mean mentioning anything about theiere behavior as this will only make the situation worse for every one, but rather in a calm sootheing voice saying something along the line like "it's alright, it's okay easy easy"

Yes tantrums and meltdowns are two different things.

If you get so anxious or overstimulated that your body and mind can't take it anymore that's a meltdown. It's not at all like a 5 year old being told they can't have candy.