Toran

Aspergers And Disability

Toran

This subject was discussed kind of off thread so I thought id start a new topic of conversation. Where do you think people with aspergers and other disabilitys are in the social standing in this country. How we are marginalised in the press and TV as scroungers and should be forced into work by government welfare cuts. How do you think we can portray ourselves in a true light and get access to what we need for our basic right of having our needs met. I work but am off sick at the moment but intend to go back to my job or finding another one and am fed up bring classed as a scrounger or a burden on bosses. Not everyone is

Able to work but still deserve a standard to make living a life. Whats your opinion ?

billy sheet

Not sure I understand I have never scrounged.You are being very negative about yourself and others with Aspergers.There are a great many academics out there who forge brilliant careers in science and research.Having Aspergers to me is not about  negativity but positivity.I work very hard in my career and it has not been easy but I try very hard and dedicate myself to my vocation.

Andy

My opinion is those that can't work, the terminally ill and the seriously disabled as a compassionate country we must support and if that means they don't work that is the way it should be, because would you trade places with them, I know I wouldn't.

But of others, yes, I'm on the sick, depression post redundancy did it initially now it is what long term unemployment does to a person, but I am trying to get back but what I need to get back isn't there for the job centre's are reporting the biggest obstacle to the long term unemployed getting back to work is their health and well being where many are reporting exactly the same problem; confidence and self esteem is smashed and the government and their mouth piece the media is not helping in that respect what with the constant attack of educating the country to the fact we are malingering scroungers.

But disabilities, it is an industry, money is made and tax paid on supporting the disabled if we did not have disabled we have no industry to support the disabled and so no tax paid, but despite the constant attack on us the country needs us for we are employers.

The problem we have is not all these groups that are attacked for political gain, the problem is 

We are over populated with not enough industry nor the accommodation and other services to support the population.

And it is also a known ploy divert attention away from oneself and attention will be diverted away from oneself and so one can get on with sneaky things one would like not to be challenged, for whilst attention is focused away, look what politicians are up to whilst attention is focused elsewhere, for only recently dirty sneaky secret trials legislation got passed whilst the gay marriage vote was being debated for what, 1% of the vote, where most gay people were not interested in the bill in the first place, but furore diverted attention.

According to a large proportion of the country the scrounger is the cause of the country's ills when it's not, the problem manifold and tax avoidance  is a large proportion of that but  the ruling party supports tax avoidance through their membership despite what they say as they seem suddenly inept when come to clamping down, totally unlike the war on the poor.

But the ill, the medical services have to do more just giving some one a pill and being told to sod off is not the way forward as symptoms have causes, tackle the causes and there won't be the symptoms, but the NHS works on a band aid policy, wait till things go wrong then patch up, when really preventative medicine should be what the NHS provides along with repair work.

My own issues, yes anxiety and depression it was, which became asperger's and still nothing was changing, then came xxy and whoah, low and behold everything that I had complained about over the years suddenly had a reason and I found it not them and now they are discovering I have circulation issues and bordering on dangerously low blood pressure of which unemployment is not helping, the lifestyle of unemployment that is which is half starve oneself and stay in to save money and energy. Now although I desperately want to get earning again as I am fed up with the lifestyle my health is suffering because of the attack on us where many are the same, so exactly what kind of people will we be when we find employment for most of us are smashed and this country smashed us.

Andy
This subject was discussed kind of off thread so I thought id start a new topic of conversation. Where do you think people with aspergers and other disabilitys are in the social standing in this country. How we are marginalised in the press and TV as scroungers and should be forced into work by government welfare cuts. How do you think we can portray ourselves in a true light and get access to what we need for our basic right of having our needs met. I work but am off sick at the moment but intend to go back to my job or finding another one and am fed up bring classed as a scrounger or a burden on bosses. Not everyone is

Able to work but still deserve a standard to make living a life. Whats your opinion ?

But given licence I went off on one and so I will answer your question

And that is to make ourselves heard, get active with what we want like so many other minority groups do, even support them to support us for disabled means just that, be it disabled physically or cognitively.

If we don't raise our voice we will never be heard and we will always be marginalised and attacked by the mean because we offer no defence and forget the NAS they are 90 % paid for by government and so they to keep their funding tow the government line. But to face it despite the existence of the NAS, who are supposed to represent us, all of us diagnosed, young and the older, how useful have they been to you ?

If we don't demand what we want, we will get nothing except bad press.

Toran
Not sure I understand I have never scrounged.You are being very negative about yourself and others with Aspergers.There are a great many academics out there who forge brilliant careers in science and research.Having Aspergers to me is not about  negativity but positivity.I work very hard in my career and it has not been easy but I try very hard and dedicate myself to my vocation.

Thats the point im making I guess there are many people who have the same philosophy as you there. Can you tell me where in the media there is coverage of major success of disabled people putting so much into society for themselves and others. Look in the newspapers for government initiatives that show individuals have been helped overcome their problems. All you read is how many billions the welfare costs and get disabled back to work doesnt matter the indivudual details generalisation will do. You work hard so do I ive only been out of work 6 months in my working life. By what they do they discredit us because if you happen to say im on the spectrum or disabled joe public who reads this long enough will believe it. You or I wont be seen as an individual with something to give back or those that are unable to work. There are people here that cant work and they have so much to give to society you just have to read the threads here to see that. Im not being argumentative for the sake of it we have so much to give and its about time they portrayed us in the way we are in real life. We arnt a burden or scroungers the real problems are in government and financial services wheres the daily cry for justice there when the bank boss goes home with the massive bonus and the disabled are made homeless by benefit cuts and home closures.

iggy

Well, I suppose stopping the press sticking an AS label on every rouge shooter who pops up around the world would do wonders for reputation, for a start. General education on what Aspergers is, or what an ASD is would be good. Most people I've met don't seem to know anything at all, so making accommodation for something in a workplace which you don't know anything about might be slightly challenging.

Also more proper investigations into benefits - people can have jobs organising it and others who are abusing the system will be caught, while people who actually do need it will receive their money which is needed when nothing is free.

Andy

Ironically most of the bill for what is termed benefit fraud isn't benefit fraud at all but it is over payment by civil servants getting it wrong where the largest lost revenue to the UK is tax avoidance but you will notice as soon as tax avoidance hits the headlines there comes a renewed attack on the benefit scrounger for government does not want it's supporters in the limelight and be forced to do something about it because even our Prime Minister's family wealth was achieved by tax avoidance.

Cost of benefit fraud V cost of Tax Evasion in the UK

Benefit overpayment errors at £800 million

But for there not to be a welfare bill there has to be full employment and that employment paid at a rate that tax credits are not necessary for that is another benefit people forget about those that are working have to claim because wages are too low or hours are not enough and then we have the high cost of housing where housing benefit has to be paid because wages are not high enough or housing is too expensive.

For as long as this country continues on it's present course we will always have a welfare bill, it won't go away and there will always be the convenient unemployed to bash for other's misdeeds

Where perhaps this article printed in The Guardian has some novel ideas;

The Guardian  : How to kick start the economy

billy sheet
Thats the point im making I guess there are many people who have the same philosophy as you there. Can you tell me where in the media there is coverage of major success of disabled people putting so much into society for themselves and others. Look in the newspapers for government initiatives that show individuals have been helped overcome their problems. All you read is how many billions the welfare costs and get disabled back to work doesnt matter the indivudual details generalisation will do. You work hard so do I ive only been out of work 6 months in my working life. By what they do they discredit us because if you happen to say im on the spectrum or disabled joe public who reads this long enough will believe it. You or I wont be seen as an individual with something to give back or those that are unable to work. There are people here that cant work and they have so much to give to society you just have to read the threads here to see that. Im not being argumentative for the sake of it we have so much to give and its about time they portrayed us in the way we are in real life. We arnt a burden or scroungers the real problems are in government and financial services wheres the daily cry for justice there when the bank boss goes home with the massive bonus and the disabled are made homeless by benefit cuts and home closures.

............I assumed you were talking about Aspergers, not  being more general and bringing a label of disability which could mean anything.Iam only referring to Aspergers here.Iam a little unsure how this ties into the government or financial services.You asked in your beginning post how it would be possible to portray ourselves in a true light.Surely it should come from ourselves.Iam uncomfortable in the blame scenario which seems to be happening.I believe we should take responsibility for ourselves and not expect others to support us.You ask can I show you examples of those with disability who are successful.........I know many who are, a family member is physically disabled and succeeds at work.Can you show me examples in the media of those with Aspergers who have been marginalised  I would be very interested to read if so , as I am interested.

mary

I think this is a very broad question with a multitude of answers possible.  I don't know that people with Aspergers are looked down on by society, nor do I think that people with disabilities are as such.  I think the government manipulates the public into feeling certain ways however, just like they do the whole private vs public sector workers and get everyone het up about how much the workers in the NHS get, as opposed to those who are working elsewhere, when in reality it's not as good as they make out, believe me!

So, with regard to disabilities, I would say it depends on who you speak to.  Look at how the paralypmics propelled disabled sports people to the forefront of everyone's minds last year.  There was more excitement than for the able bodied olympics at times, and that shows that at the heart of it, it doesn't matter if you're disabled, this country won't necessarily be against you. 

It is the goverment that portrays this picture of 'scroungers' and then gets the public riled because they feel that they are disadvantaged for being out at work... when it's not the sick and disabled that they should be angry at but those that lounge around because they cannot be bothered going and getting a job and doing an honest day's work.

I think there is also the way in which the disabled person presents themselves.  We, as individuals, have to present ourselves in the best light possible, and some people prefer to blame their disabilities for their behaviours, when in fact it might have nothing to do with their behaviour.  When this happens then it marginalises everyone because people then just don't want to know as they label everyone the same.

Having Aspergers isn't necessarily a disability, but I can see how it can be.  I could honestly not look at myself, and the life I've managed to carve out, and think of myself as disadvantaged in some sense.  I feel that perhaps I'm one of the lucky people who's Aspergers has helped them in some way.  I have this insane stubborness and will not give up on much if I start on it.  Granted some of that is due to my upbringing, and possibly not knowing I had AS until last year, but I cannot ask for sympathy, for it is, in my opinion, that the main struggle for me was understanding friendships and the need for them in vast quantities.  That, and learning how not to be used by people... could still do with a few lessons on that!  I also have a great problem with perfectionism in anything I do, and then that starts causing problems at work because my work has to be of the highest standards at all times and I take on too much, but still get it done.  Most employers would like that, but it's me who suffers because I get rather tired and drained.

I've seen articles that are very positive about people with autism or on the spectrum, but then I've seen those that aren't so great.  All in all I think it's a bit of swings and roundabouts though and depends a lot on circumstances.

If you look at employment, there are laws in place to try and ensure that disabled people are not discriminated against in the workplace, and then there are guaranteed interview schemes in place with some employers.  Whether people get the jobs is another thing though, and whether the workplace will adopt changes to adapt the workplace is another matter. 

I do understand how hard it can be to get a job though, especially if people have been out of work for some time, or if they haven't had much experience in the workplace... or if their disability means they have specific problems.  But, that's when I think there should be more investment in getting people the help they need to enable them to be able to interview well, and enable them to get jobs that suit them, and be more confident in the skills they have.  Only that way will things change for those individuals who are having difficulties in that area.

Toran
............I assumed you were talking about Aspergers, not  being more general and bringing a label of disability which could mean anything.Iam only referring to Aspergers here.Iam a little unsure how this ties into the government or financial services.You asked in your beginning post how it would be possible to portray ourselves in a true light.Surely it should come from ourselves.Iam uncomfortable in the blame scenario which seems to be happening.I believe we should take responsibility for ourselves and not expect others to support us.You ask can I show you examples of those with disability who are successful.........I know many who are, a family member is physically disabled and succeeds at work.Can you show me examples in the media of those with Aspergers who have been marginalised  I would be very interested to read if so , as I am interested.

I can see where you are coming and how you read my thread title . Maybe I could have been more specific but there are no dividing lines they blur into one on a lot of these topics. If you want to know more about the context of government and finance in this relation message me privatrly and will be happy to discuss it but here it would be a very long post to explain well.

Firstly to portray ourselves you need to be able to get the message across to people. Try writing to the papers portraying the subject of asperger's in a positive light making your own comments in relation to a negitive article on any disability. You will find it very difficult to get it in the paper but if you wrote in about posh spice or towie you will have a better chance. I say dont take my word for it try and see for yourself its worth more than a thousand words from me until you experience it yes words are cheap.

You said could I show examples of those with asperger's who have been marginalised because of it well I will admit thats hard to do becsuse they hardly ever print them but there are cases out there give me some time and im sure I will find them. Number one is me my boss has tried to bump me out of my job twice meaning let somebody who is being made redundent take my job when im not effected by redundancy. This goes back years because I have had trouble in relation to aspergers but I never knew it he just didnt like me. I have written evidence in reports of this all his efforts and complaints he know nows about my asperger's all he said was when are you leaving then your no good to me. Start a thread here asking how many people have been marginaised because of it be an interesting topic I think you will be surprised. Even though ive had a tough life and have many problems I will not let society treat me in this way. Grsnted not everyone is like this but some are and there are many asperger's syndrome people who couldnt stand this level of treatment but for all my weakness I will not let these bullys treat me or any other sufferer in this way I will do everything I can to stop them. Im sorry if this offends you but there is a whole world out there with so much going on and we dont know it until somebody decides its your turn to be picked on. I truly hope it never happens to you or yours its a awful experience but I for one wont let them get away with it at least without a fight.