BirdSong

Whats a good forum like this one but for an 11 year old Aspiegirl?

BirdSong

Are there kids sites out there, I can't see a kid feeling comfortable on this site and I don't know what to suggest for her.

the-commander

Are there kids sites out there, I can't see a kid feeling comfortable on this site and I don't know what to suggest for her.

try googling kids fourm aspergers and see what comes up

Nesf

I had a look around and I can't find any site specifically aimed at kids. Most of the sites seem to be aimed at parents of children with ASD or ASD adults. However, Wrong Planet has a kids forum which might be helpful http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum15.html, there's also a schools forum on the same site but that is perhaps for slightly older kids http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum14.html There's an adolescents' section too.

Willow

The issues with creating a forum specifically for children are that it's very, very hard to make it safe for them, and also, it seems dangerous to have a place where young, vulnerable people are all in once place on the internet - which I think is probably why there aren't many out there.

(deleted)

Although if they're all in one place then it would be much easier to moderate (and bad swear words and things like that could just be outright blocked rather than requiring a moderator to catch a bad poster in the act because children aren't going to complain if they can't swear anyway because they probably aren't using those words in the first place).

Although why do you think that a child would be unhappy around here? Have you tried it out with them? Do they like it? (Also do children like forums in general - to me if I was a child I would get too impatient waiting for someone to reply to my posts... that's bad enough as it is LOL!!!)

http://www.projectaspie.com/home

This one was made for young people, but I'm not sure how active it is.

That one doesn't have a forum anyway.

Kuribo [old account]

I just signed in under an account I made over a year ago - there is a forum, but it's only visible to signed-in members, and slightly confusing to navigate. There hasn't been any activity for nine months.

(deleted)

Although if they're all in one place then it would be much easier to moderate (and bad swear words and things like that could just be outright blocked rather than requiring a moderator to catch a bad poster in the act because children aren't going to complain if they can't swear anyway because they probably aren't using those words in the first place).

Although why do you think that a child would be unhappy around here? Have you tried it out with them? Do they like it? (Also do children like forums in general - to me if I was a child I would get too impatient waiting for someone to reply to my posts... that's bad enough as it is LOL!!!)

Damn it I hate it when moderators join your posts together and then on top of that they leave the wrong-sized gap inbetween!

Sofi

Damn it I hate it when moderators join your posts together and then on top of that they leave the wrong-sized gap inbetween!

It might not be the moderators - if you post twice within 5 minutes, your post automatically gets put into one. 

BirdSong

Thanks for all the replies and info.

I understand now that an aspie kids site could be very problematic.  The combination of internet and children is something I am out of touch with, but I know it is hard enough to protect NT kids from harm/ predators/ cyber bulling ect when online so I can only imagin the difficulties involved with protecting AS kids who are by nature more vunerable.

Also kids grow up so fast it would be hard to maintain a steady member base which is within the specified range.

This forum will be here for her though, when she's older and more interested, and because of Asperclicks carefull attention by its moderators I would always know she is relativley safe in this online environment.  That is very comforting.