AGXStarseed

Half of all Children Will Have Autism by 2025

AGXStarseed

Dr. Stephanie Seneff, research scientist from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), made a dire prediction earlier this month during an event sponsored by the Groton Wellness organization. She said,

Seneff was leading a presentation that showed a strong correlation between the increased use of Roundup starting in the early 1990’s and the rising number of autism diagnoses over the past three decades. In 1975, 1 in 5,000 children were diagnosed with autism. The current rate is 1 in 68, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

At today’s rate, by 2025, one in two children will be autistic.

Roundup is a weed killer produced by Monsanto that contains glyphosate, a substance that has been shown to cause toxic side effects similar to those found in autism. Monsanto has also been producing genetically modified crops (GMOs) that are designed to withstand the effects of Roundup weed killer. The use of GMOs has come under fire in the United States during recent years.

Dr. Seneff is a veteran researcher who has published several papers on the effects of nutritional deficiencies and environmental toxins. During her presentation, she explained how glyphosate kills beneficial gut bacteria and causes deficiencies in key minerals, including cobalt, iron, and manganese. Studies have shown that children with autism often have biomarkers indicative of excessive glyphosate, including zinc and iron deficiency, low serum sulfate, seizures, and mitochondrial disorder. Similar correlations between autism and glyphosate are also found in deaths caused by senility.

She raised other frightening statistics, including studies that have shown that Americans have ten times the glyphosate accumulation as Europeans, and that glyphosate has been discovered in excessively high quantities in the breast milk of American mothers, as much as 760 to 1,600 the allowable limits in European drinking water.

While it may be tempting to dismiss these findings as the extreme work of one researcher, it is important to note that Dr. Seneff is a respected scientist with an impressive background in research on nutritional deficiencies and the impact on environmental toxins. She has published 10 articles in various scientific journals, seven as head author, and she worked as a Senior Research Scientist at the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.

And while correlation does not necessarily indicate causation, the extremely high Pearson Correlation Coefficient score of 0.99 is difficult to ignore. This, combined with the extreme prevalence of foods containing GMOs that were likely treated with Roundup in the United States is enough to give anyone pause. Glyphosate can be found in soft drinks and candies sweetened by corn syrup, chips and cereals containing soy, and cattle and chicken fed soy. Basically, in the United States, it’s in just about any food that isn’t organic.

Monsanto maintains that glyphosate and GMOs are safe, listing a series of studies on their website at http://www.monsanto.com/products/pages/roundup-safety-background-materials.aspx.

To view the slides from Dr. Seneff’s presentation, follow this link http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/.

Source Article: http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/warning-half-of-all-children-will-have-autism-by-2025/12873/laurel-joss/

King_oni

Well.. if I look at other things I deal with as someone on the spectrum; in 2025, services will be far and few between as well.

While I'm not going to debate the validity of the research, one can wonder how society will prepare for this, if at all, if this is actually an accurate prediction. Quite related I think is the influx of ADHD, which one could probably link to food and increased sugar intake among other things, as well as the jittery nature of society through social media and the entire "always available"-society, as well and that doesn't seem to be slowing down either; though that however seems to be less of an issue since you can always prescribe meds for that (and there are quite some people who will embrace this kind of practice).

The big question might also be, how exactly autism will manifest within these groups. Granted, to use a forum one has to be fairly functional, but I hear more from and about middle to high functioning autistic people than I hear about low functioning ones. Yes, they do exist, and they might be a large group, but despite that all, that is a group of which you know they need support and perhaps what kind. It's the high functioning ones that just need a handful of elements of support, and that in essence to me feels more of a custom job. I mean, from a practical point of view; someone who needs a lot of care already has a caretaker assigned, perhaps 24/7 anyway, it's the ones that require it incidentally of which I predict that support will be more limited. And if the group increases, I don't think there will be more support coming in; support will be an expensive commodity.

Oh well... the dystopian ideas one can cherish with this, heh. But all in all, I am curious if, and how society could deal with this. We're already dealing with a surplus of unemployed, and hard to employ autistic folks.

Bruce

But if half the population were autistic, they'd have to employ us! Or if autism is caused by anythinh chemical, it has to be possible to reverse it..

King_oni

But if half the population were autistic, they'd have to employ us! Or if autism is caused by anythinh chemical, it has to be possible to reverse it..

Oh, they could employ us now as well... though from my experience it's all the accommodations that would seem to be a problem. I mean, getting hired is only half the issue, the other is being a productive employee and not having a meltdown every other hour.

Yes, it's awfully generalizing, but that's kinda what the issue is from what I understand. If you're a productive employee no one cares about your ASD, yet for some ASD might impair productivity and thus a choice to hire someone with less "issues" seems to be a bit easier.

Kuribo [old account]

If this prediction is accurate ... fine by me.

If there were that much more of us, school and workplace discrimination would have to be taken more seriously, and this current toxic trend of demanding "excellent communication skills" from employees for jobs which don't really require this at all would have to come to an end.

iggy

That should be half of all American children, it would seem. It appears to be implying that Europeans dot have so many chemicals which are supposedly causing autism.

Is there any evidence GM crops/glyphosate are causing autism/autism like symptoms, or is this going to become be next "vaccines cause autism"? Obviously the anti GM groups will say it does, and the farming industry will say it doesn't.

I agree with the others though - if half of all people are on the spectrum, society will adapt to accommodate that much more than it does at the minute, or has in the past.

Edited by iggy

Bruce

Previously, I think it was suggested that autism was 'the next step' in evolution? They do keep revising the numbers of us here, too.

It was about 1% when I was diagnosed, & I think the last estimate was about 1 in 66...

tern

Don't want to wish for more severe distressed nonverbal autism. But more aspies = nicer society. if something is giving us all moderate autism, keep giving us it, give everyone it.

Xenolith

There are two statements here. Firstly, that half of children will have autism by 2025. Secondly, that Glyphosate causes autism. The first statement is laughably ridiculous and I find it hard to believe that any sane person would take that remotely seriously. The key here is "...if this trend continues". It won't. If this trend continues, yes, half of children will have autism in 2025 and everyone in the world will have autism shortly afterwards. The rate of autism diagnosis is not going to continue to rise exponentially. In science, the 'reputation' of the scientist is irrelevant - the only that matters are the statements put forward and the evidence supporting them. I would add though, that Seneff is a Computer Scientist with a background in Electrical Engineering and Biocomputation - not autism or psychology. 

The second statement looks poorly supported and I don't see any compelling evidence to back up the argument. As you said in your original post, correlation does not imply causation - there's no "But". Yes, there's a high degree of correlation between the use of glyphosate and autism, but there are also high degrees of correlation between other completely random and unrelated issues. Let me list a few factors that have a higher degree of correlation than Glyphosate and autism:

• US spending on science, space and technology and Suicides by hanging, strangulation and suffocation (0.992)
  • Divorce rate in Maine and Per capita consumption of Margarine (0.993)
  • Suicide rate and Number of lawyers in North Carolina (0.994)
  • Number of people killed by dogs and Online revenue on Black Friday (0.996)

A correlation coefficient of 0.99 is very, very easy to ignore.

On top of that, this graph uses the number of children diagnosed with autism, not the number of children who actually have autism, which are two very different numbers. No serious mechanism has been suggested for this 'causation' and it doesn't explain the increasing rates of autism diagnosis worldwide where this product isn't used. Don't get me wrong, I hate Monsanto and I think they're one of the dirtiest, most corrupted companies on this planet. But that doesn't mean we should start making groundless statements.

Edited by Chlorophile

(deleted)

Don't want to wish for more severe distressed nonverbal autism. But more aspies = nicer society. if something is giving us all moderate autism, keep giving us it, give everyone it.

No I disagree with that statement. If people are born as NTs then it is only fair to let them stay like that and not turn them into aspies just because you think that aspies are nicer than NTs. That is a very egocentric statement to make. Also yes, as some of the other users here have pointed out that is particularly talking about American children (unless of course they actually expecting the American fraction to exceed half and so they have actually taken an average with the predicted estimate for the rest of the world. Also I can't see why the numbers would be increasing when that chemical product has been in use for quite a long time already.)

If there were that much more of us, school and workplace discrimination would have to be taken more seriously, and this current toxic trend of demanding "excellent communication skills" from employees for jobs which don't really require this at all would have to come to an end.

Yes it is annoying that every employer just tags "excellent communication skills" on to the end of the job description/requirements and also that they throw in the word "experianced" all the time when that's even a problem for NTs who have just come out of school/college/university and who haven't actually got any experiance yet but yet they can't ever get a job because they all want experiance! That is absolutely ridiculous in my opnion.