(deleted)

Supermarkets are not very Aspie friendly

(deleted)

Well I suppose that this is more of a rant than a debate but I don't really know where else to put this. But anyway I just wanted to say that I don't think that supermarkets are very aspie-friendly given this morning's experiance with doing the grocery shopping.

I went first to the one shop but when I got to the checkouts they had changed that whole area! All of the self-service checkouts were nowhere to be seen and so I had to use the manned checkout which I hate using because they damage all of your groceries (and of course there's the whole social things as well but for me I don't like the way that they handle all of your groceries). (And they did damage all of my groceries as well :angry: . I spend so long carefully choosing undamaged items and then they go and crush them all at the checkout???)

But that wasn't the worst because then I went to the other shop and they had discontinued my favourite ready-meal and the one that I routinely buy! It really insults me how they can just do that. I mean, they know that I buy that meal often because I always get coupons for that meal but they don't even bother to ask me if I would mind if they discontinued it! How on earth can they do that? That is absolutely disgusting! I mean, surely other aspies have this problem as well, and clearly it didn't even cross their mind that maybe just maybe I was an aspie and I would be very upset if they discontinued that meal. What that means is that I'm going to either have to get a different meal or a different brand of the same meal - neither of which is a very acceptable solution as far as I'm concerned. And I doubt that if I went to the customer service desk and said that I was an aspie (assuming that I had a proper diagnoses as well of course...) that they would bring that meal back either. I just don't think that that is acceptable behaviour, as I need the kind of security that comes from having a weekly meal plan and for me it's bad enough when they're out of stock on something but to just discontinue it with absolutely no warning is totaly unbearable!!! Especially seeing as it was my favourite meal as well :angry::( . I just don't think that that is very aspie friendly and the least that they could do is to offer a service for aspies where they can have the security of knowing that they will always be able to get the same meals.

That was a really bad day at the shops!!! Why can't people just be a little more understanding of us??? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks,

invisible

iggy

Is there anywhere which does scan as you shop nearby to you? It would solve all of your issues except discontinuing foods, which happens from time to time and although it sucks, you could try to replicate it with raw ingredients if it meant a lot to you. 

I don't think the market for a "same food all the time" service would be sustainable for a business to manage, unfortunately. 

Xenolith

Well I suppose that this is more of a rant than a debate but I don't really know where else to put this. But anyway I just wanted to say that I don't think that supermarkets are very aspie-friendly given this morning's experiance with doing the grocery shopping.

I went first to the one shop but when I got to the checkouts they had changed that whole area! All of the self-service checkouts were nowhere to be seen and so I had to use the manned checkout which I hate using because they damage all of your groceries (and of course there's the whole social things as well but for me I don't like the way that they handle all of your groceries). (And they did damage all of my groceries as well :angry: . I spend so long carefully choosing undamaged items and then they go and crush them all at the checkout???)

But that wasn't the worst because then I went to the other shop and they had discontinued my favourite ready-meal and the one that I routinely buy! It really insults me how they can just do that. I mean, they know that I buy that meal often because I always get coupons for that meal but they don't even bother to ask me if I would mind if they discontinued it! How on earth can they do that? That is absolutely disgusting! I mean, surely other aspies have this problem as well, and clearly it didn't even cross their mind that maybe just maybe I was an aspie and I would be very upset if they discontinued that meal. What that means is that I'm going to either have to get a different meal or a different brand of the same meal - neither of which is a very acceptable solution as far as I'm concerned. And I doubt that if I went to the customer service desk and said that I was an aspie (assuming that I had a proper diagnoses as well of course...) that they would bring that meal back either. I just don't think that that is acceptable behaviour, as I need the kind of security that comes from having a weekly meal plan and for me it's bad enough when they're out of stock on something but to just discontinue it with absolutely no warning is totaly unbearable!!! Especially seeing as it was my favourite meal as well :angry::( . I just don't think that that is very aspie friendly and the least that they could do is to offer a service for aspies where they can have the security of knowing that they will always be able to get the same meals.

That was a really bad day at the shops!!! Why can't people just be a little more understanding of us??? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks,

invisible

Firstly, bear in mind that self checkouts have only been in existence for a few years. We're not 'entitled' to them - if they're there that's great, but there's no obligation for shops to have them.

Secondly, the priority for shops is profit. If product X isn't making them money, they're not going to just carry on stocking them because one person wants them - that's not how the world works, unfortunately! Maybe it was the manufacturer that has discontinued them for some reason that's out of the shop's control. I think it's very unfair to accuse the shop of doing something wrong here. Society needs to be more understanding of people with autism but you can't expect the entire world to bend over backwards for us. There are just some things you need to deal with in life, and this is one of them.

(deleted)

Is there anywhere which does scan as you shop nearby to you? It would solve all of your issues except discontinuing foods, which happens from time to time and although it sucks, you could try to replicate it with raw ingredients if it meant a lot to you. 

I don't think the market for a "same food all the time" service would be sustainable for a business to manage, unfortunately. 

Yes they do do "scan as you shop" but the one supermarket makes you pay for it and for some reason I never use it at the other one. (Also the other issue was the more significant one.) I also can't make the meal with raw ingrediants because it won't be exactly the same as the one that I used to by so I might as well just buy a different brand.

Firstly, bear in mind that self checkouts have only been in existence for a few years. We're not 'entitled' to them - if they're there that's great, but there's no obligation for shops to have them.

Secondly, the priority for shops is profit. If product X isn't making them money, they're not going to just carry on stocking them because one person wants them - that's not how the world works, unfortunately! Maybe it was the manufacturer that has discontinued them for some reason that's out of the shop's control. I think it's very unfair to accuse the shop of doing something wrong here. Society needs to be more understanding of people with autism but you can't expect the entire world to bend over backwards for us. There are just some things you need to deal with in life, and this is one of them.

Your point about the self-service checkouts is valid but that doesn't mean that it's not upsetting for an aspie to arrive at the checkouts and find that they have been removed. Also my other point was that supermarkets should offer an "aspie" range of meals which are always guaranteed to be available (or can be ordered on request for manufacture within a few weeks if it is not economical to make them all the time). (Or if they can't guarantee that the "aspie" meals can always be available then the least that they could do is give advanced warning before discontinuing them to avoid nasty surprises when doing the shopping.) Actually by the way the discontinuation of the meal was not out of the supermarkets control because it was their own brand of meal.

Xenolith

Your point about the self-service checkouts is valid but that doesn't mean that it's not upsetting for an aspie to arrive at the checkouts and find that they have been removed. Also my other point was that supermarkets should offer an "aspie" range of meals which are always guaranteed to be available (or can be ordered on request for manufacture within a few weeks if it is not economical to make them all the time). (Or if they can't guarantee that the "aspie" meals can always be available then the least that they could do is give advanced warning before discontinuing them to avoid nasty surprises when doing the shopping.) Actually by the way the discontinuation of the meal was not out of the supermarkets control because it was their own brand of meal.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I never said it wasn't upsetting, I simply said that this is completely irrelevant as far as the supermarkets are concerned. Supermarkets will follow up demand with supply. If there were a genuine demand for an "Aspie" range of meals, they would do that. The problem here is firstly that stability and supply chain don't go very well together, and secondly that whilst most people on the spectrum want stability and continuity, they want different things to be stable and continuous. The meals you like having on a regular basis will be very different to the meals I like having on a regular basis. 

It might be "own-brand" but that doesn't mean they own the supply chain. Even if they own the processing plant (in all likelihood they don't and they just do the packaging themselves), they still source ingredients from countless individual chains that are out of their control.

Bruce

Yeah. 'Aspie meals'.... As covered, the stuff I buy most weeks won't be the same as you. And anybody else might have that problem. Smaller shops may be better able to do that but it'll cost a fair bit!

Edited by BruceCM

(deleted)

I still think that they should consider it seriously. Chances are no one's even thought of it...

In any case I seriously doubt that every allergic person eats the same food (except that there's so little of it available anyway so they probably do have to eat the same food all the time - shame, poor things... I often feel quite sorry for them actually when I see what's available - seriously, just one breakfast ceral???) so why can't they do the same for aspies? (Actually I think that that point is completely invalid because of what I said inside the brackets...)

Anyway I just think that it could be a good idea - do all aspies like having the same meals all the time anyway? (I mean as in is this actually a common problem anyway?)

No Longer Here

The main problem I have in supermarkets is the noise. I have to wear earplugs if I'm in the for anything over a milk and bread type shopping trip. 

Xenolith

I still think that they should consider it seriously. Chances are no one's even thought of it...

In any case I seriously doubt that every allergic person eats the same food (except that there's so little of it available anyway so they probably do have to eat the same food all the time - shame, poor things... I often feel quite sorry for them actually when I see what's available - seriously, just one breakfast ceral???) so why can't they do the same for aspies? (Actually I think that that point is completely invalid because of what I said inside the brackets...)

Anyway I just think that it could be a good idea - do all aspies like having the same meals all the time anyway? (I mean as in is this actually a common problem anyway?)

Because I would imagine that most people with ASD have learned to adapt or cope with a supermarket environment or overcome the problem one way or another, to the point where the number of people who genuinely have a serious problem is vastly smaller than, for instance, the number of people with specific allergies. 

Nesf

There's a business idea for you, an autism friendly supermarket :) I wonder if that would work?

I agree with you that suddenly changing the layout of the aisles or discontinuing a product line is extremely annoying. I'm ok with grocery shopping as long as I go the supermarket when it's not busy, because I don't like crowds or long queues. Also, I find it exasperating when people block the aisles with their trolleys and I can't pass, when kids are being noisy, and when people brush past me, and the most frustrating of all is when I'm looking at the products and somebody passes in front of me and breaks my concentration. Grrr!! I find that one really triggering. Oh, and I can't stand the sound of squeeky trolleys :(

Where I live there are no self-service check-outs. I tried one in the UK and i disliked it intensely, because it was the first time and I don't know how to use it, there was a queue and I felt under geat pressure to do it quickly. But I didn't know what to do and I find it hard to concentrate under pressure and read the instructions. Luckily, my sister with me and came to the rescue, or I would have just given up and had to join the queue again for the manned checkout. i prefer the manned checjout because that's what I'm used to and I have a system worked out for arranging my groceries on the conveyor belt so the heavier items are on the bottom and lighter ones on top, that way they don't get damaged. I do that, then get my money ready before i reach the till. but even so, i still feel under pressure to pack quickly and leave at the checkout, it's not a pleasant feeling.