(deleted)

Supermarkets are not very Aspie friendly

King_oni

ASDA charge a £25 minimum spend before they let you buy from them online, and delivery is usually about £3 for a morning delivery, with weekends I find disaterous, at £5 for an afternoon delivery.

Yeah, over here it seems that there's a minimum of €70 ( £55) and delivery costs between €4,95 ( £4) and €12,95 ( £10.5) which IMO is overpriced, especially considering the aforementioned limited choices of only expensive A brands.

HoleInTheEarth

I only eat homemade soups, and I have major issues with organic vegetables not being available! The stores are very nice, though, and will help me out. The store I go to specifically makes sure to have zucchini and yellow squash out on Tuesdays for me, and I'm going to try to organize ordering cases of those vegetables as the winter approaches, since they're going out of season (I'm not 100% sure that's what the person said they could do in an email). Also, one time there was no zucchini or yellow squash for a week because the farm had a pest problem, and so my mom asked the main desk and they called 2 other nearby stores of the same chain to see if they had any in stock, which was very helpful, though going to a new store caused a meltdown. I really hope I can communicate to them about ordering cases of vegetables, since last year I used frozen ones and it isn't the same at all...

I've also set up a chicken ordering system with a smaller store, since I need 8-9 whole, organic chickens a month, and since I was nervous about a new store, I asked them in an email beforehand where the meat department was, so I wouldn't have to figure it out when I got there. Stores want customers to come back, so they're "happy" to do little things for customers.

I have a lot of issues with noise, so I always wear my headphones. I know the routine at the register, so I just nod when they ask "do you want a receipt?" I wear sunglasses too, since I can get overwhelmed visually, so those plus my headphones means they don't bother with small talk. XP

It is very upsetting when they're out of stock of something, as it completely changes the taste of my soup and my vegetable chopping routine. >.<

I always have headphones with me when I'm out to drown out noise. And a lot of stress from shopping is eliminated because of it. :)

Yeah, over here it seems that there's a minimum of €70 ( £55) and delivery costs between €4,95 ( £4) and €12,95 ( £10.5) which IMO is overpriced, especially considering the aforementioned limited choices of only expensive A brands.

Very expensive. I'd rather go into the store and buy items myself.

(deleted)

Well today's trip was much worse. I was going to complain here about what happened last week when I found that another of my favourite meals had been discontinued (every now and again this supermarket discontinues most of their frozen food range and changes it all :( ) but this week was worse because they have changed the handles on the trolleys and the new ones have got this concave-shaped ridge above the part where you hold the handles. (I like the feeling of concave shapes - especially ones like the smooth plastic of the trolley handles - so bear that in mind because it's an important part of the explanation.) Now the problem is that where I naturally hold the handles makes the side of my first finger touch very lightly on this concave ridge thingy so I am left with two options. Either I can move my hand upwards on the handle so that I am fully touching the concave ridge (I don't like the light touch that I get otherwise) or I can move it downwards and move away from the concave ridge. Neither is very comfortable to hold for long periods of time but the problem with moving it downwards is that then my little finger comes into contact with the bar between the handles and I don't like things touching the side of my little finger. So I am left with having to move my hands upwards. Now the problem with that is that I like the feel of the concave ridge so it tends to make me press my finger into it quite firmly. Apart from the obvious muscle fatigue, this pressing my finger into a smooth concave shape is a stim which I have and being forced to carry out that stim the whole way round the shop gets me stimming a lot and I've been stimming with other things ever since I came home about an hour ago which is very annoying. And bearing in mind that I go shopping every week this is clearly not going to be any good for my bad stimming habits. I seriously think that they should consider that when designing the handles because the old design (and that which I have seen on every other supermarket trolley) was much flatter and didn't lead to any stimming. (I might need to draw a diagram to explain this clearer - I'm not sure that I've described it well...)

And the other problem - which is not very significant compared to the others but still annoying for me - is that when I got to the other supermarket the packaging of one of the items that I usually buy had been changed as well. I suppose that that's not too much of a problem because the actual item is still the same but it's annoying because it affects the way that I pack everything in the trolley (which is usually done exactly - and yes I mean EXACTLY - the same way every week).

collectingrocks

apples and oranges - you either like supermarkets or you don't.

Personally I don't like busy supermarkets but it's more that I don't like crowds, so I go when it's a bit quieter. And yes, you've got used to where everything is and the next time you go, everything has been moved around. I don't let this get to me. I understand that supermarkets do this on purpose to make us "routiners" buy useless stuff we don't want.

I go into a supermarket knowing exactly what I want, do my business and I'm out the door.

And I do prefer a real person at the checkout - I hate those self-checkout machines, there always seems to be a problem and a staff member has to come over anyway

(deleted)

I don't like real people at the checkout because of the way that they always handle my groceries. I don't know if they just do it to me because I'm not friendly enough or something like that but I do know that the way that the shelf-packers handle things is no better and when I've specially chosen items that have survived the shelf-packing onslaught I don't like them getting damaged at the checkout.

Edited by invisible

Saveyourscissors

Its weird I like food shopping, but hate it at the same time. I like doing food shopping and choosing stuff. I hate spending the money, going on my own (so I dont) I hate the check outs, the awkward interactions, the fact they are always busy, the noise, the fact things move around, the utter chaos of it all, the people, the parking, the fact someone always 'bumps' into me. I hate it but yet I still look forward to doing a food shop, I don't understand it really!!

weebo

hate food shopping its the worst thing ever i get very dizzy and overloaded to much to look at to much going on its very difficult topped with an OCD partner that spends 10 minutes looking at different coffees!!! no thank you  i would rather shop on line but he likes to pick the dates lol

PandaPrincess

I really like shopping, but I hate it when it is crowded because there are people walking in all different directions with their buggies.  I also feel uncomfortable when I am looking at something, and somebody is right behind me, trying to look at the same thing.  

(deleted)

I also feel uncomfortable when I am looking at something, and somebody is right behind me, trying to look at the same thing.  

Yes that is very annoying. Or when I'm trying to look at or get to something and someone else is in the way. I never know what I'm supposed to say to them to get them to move out the way LOL!!! And even when I do think of something to say I find it rather awkward and quite unpleasant actually to have to communicate with a stranger.