Poppet

Sorry if this topic has already been introduced before, but I searched and didn't find a specific thread dedicated to it. I was wondering, does anyone else chew/bite the inside of their cheek, and is that considered stimming? I've never heard of other people doing it until learning about AS, but I have always done it (I even have photos of myself as a child in the 90s doing it!). I've done it my whole life, mostly when I'm thinking intently, very focused, anxious, or bored. I do it nearly daily. Sometimes it gets really bad and creates bad sores, but usually it just creates a minor irritation.

I've also been wondering if it's somehow causing my teeth/jaw to seem like I have TMJ issues because my dentist said there were signs of teeth grinding, but I don't grind my teeth... So I think it might be because of the obsessive chewing...?

Do NTs do this chewing/biting thing too, like a nervous habit (like nail biting), or is it more of an ASD thing? Like I said, I had never really heard of others doing this like me until recently... I had even tried to research it several years ago and came up with nothing...

Although there is an Animal Collective song that says:

"My nervous tick has got to quit, my cheeks are chewed down to the bit"

Curious...

L Lawliet

I've heard a lot of Aspies say they do that. I myself do the same thing. My cheeks are sometimes completely red raw, it's horrible! I mainly do it when I'm anxious so it must be a stim.

imleih

i was doing that as i saw this post! i do it all the time, and i always make weird faces when i do it too. i can't stop, even though i've made myself bleed lol.

Nesf

Yes, I do this all the time! And I also bite or pick at my lips and make them bleed all the time. I don't know whether NTs do it or not, if it's a stim then it's very much a hidden one.

Echo

I do this too! I also bite my nails and stroke my teeth with my tongue so much that I get ulcers. I usually adopt these stims when I'm out; as Nesf stated, they are very much like hidden stims. Biting nails for some reason seems more socially acceptable than foot tapping and/or rocking. IDK why. Probably because nail biting is something that a lot of NT's do too. Again, IDK. 

Edited by Echo

(deleted)

I don't normally do that because I get an ulcer every time I do LOL but every now and again I just start doing it for no apparant reason (I seem to think that it might be when I'm bored but it doesn't happen that often though actually) and then I don't even realise that I'm doing it until I've been doing it for the whole day and then I suddenly stop because I don't want to get another ulcer but it's already too late and I wake up the next morning and I've got an ulcer. Anyway it's more the inside of my lip that I chew and bite but I'm quite sure that it is a form of stimming actually (although I've never really though of it like that before LOL) because I do it because it feels nice (until I get an ulcer LOL).

No Longer Here

Yep, another cheek biter here too

BirdSong

Me too, but ulcers and fat scared tissue on the inside of my cheeks have been enough motivation to stop it most of the time these days.

I tend to think NTs would do it too, just like nail biting.

What strange animals we all are that we like to eat our cheeks :D

dandelion

Yeah.. me too... with the bonus ( ulcer).

That make me think... some one here make use of dental braces????? I remember my mother taking me to one dentist for that but i totally ... r e f u s e d!

... coudnt imagine something inside of my mouth... just my tongue was sooo weird to deal with and some more was too much to consider.

Xenolith

I do it all the time, never thought about it as a stim though!