(deleted)

Exactly! For me it's like it's even softer when it's healing and even more tempting to bite off. Sounds a bit gross now saying that..

Yes I can agree with that! I like to chew on the ulcers - until it makes it hurt...

Also, every time I've seen an NT stim it's in a socially acceptable way.

I would not describe NT "stimming" as particularly socially acceptable LOL!!! I always find it rather distracting and extremely irritating.

staystrong07

its is use as a calming technique to some aspies. I bite my hand and my cheeks when anxious. its a natural reaction for me. I think NT people definitely bite their nails and cheeks. but I haven't heard of someone biting their hand in a self injury way like I  do.

DominikaCupcake

I "eat" the inside of my cheeks as well as i eat my lips and the skin off my fingers. I do this very often, but it is increased when i'm anxious. This is definitely a form of stimming, however i do think that many NTs bite their nails, fingers, lips and cheeks, especially when they're still kids.

collectingrocks

I ate ox cheeks at a restaurant the other day...does this count...ha ha !!! ??? :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Sandi

One of my first memories is of being taken to the family doctor and scolded for cheek biting. I was about 3.  As much as I tried to “be a good girl”,  I could not control the constant biting. I am now in my 50’s and the cheek biting became so uncontrollable that 2 years ago I decided to get liners on my teeth. It has worked, but if I don’t wear the liners, the biting returns. In my generation (X) we did not get diagnosed with anything as children. I failed miserably at academics, mainly because the environment at the huge high school I went to was ”off” for me. I spent more energy just trying to fit in with kids and I would often skip classes to just go sit outside. As a female, I have managed to slip through cracks my entire life. Now, as a near senior, the medical system does not recognize any need to diagnose an older adult. I have struggled my entire life and although I’m supposed to retire in 10 years or so, I still don’t have basic stability in my life.