(deleted)

Why my mother says that I can't have Asperger's...

(deleted)

I would like to have your opinions on wether or not you think that these are valid reasons why I "can't possibly have Asperger's". I am asking this because these are the reasons that my mother gives whenever I try to discuss Asperger's with her and I'm not sure that they're particularly valid actually. I would like to make it clear that I am not asking for opinions on wether or not I have Asperger's; I am asking if you think that these are valid reasons why one couldn't have Asperger's.

Now the main reason is that I like to spontaneously share my ideas, opinions and things that I have made. Apparantly aspies don't do that. That doesn't seem correct to me because if aspies didn't have a desire to share things then they wouldn't infodump as much as they do. As I see it, all they want to do is to share their knowledge, and ideas about their obsessions.

The other main reason that I can think of at the moment is that I always used to talk with a lot of expression - both in my voice and in terms of facial expression - when I spoke, particularly but not only if it was about one of my interests at the time. Again she claims that aspies don't do that, although I have read that some aspies do talk quite expressively sometimes.

I would like to hear your opinions on wether or not these are valid reasons to say that one does not have Asperger's, and I will add any further reasons that she has given as I remember them. And please remember that I am not asking for opinions on wether you do or don't think that I have Asperger's.

Regards,

invisible

Echo

"Once you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie!"

Our profile of skills and limitations differ from each other. Although we may share the same traits (which come under the triad of impairments, SPD's, R&R etc...), these manifest differently in each and every one of us; from severity to subtly... and depending on the situations you find yourself in...for example; I'm a moderately social Aspie. I love sharing information and ideas with others and this is done with normal expression (I think!); sometimes very monotonically or robotically depending on my stress/anxiety levels and how many people there are/stimuli etc.... But, that is me. Others will have different experiences and preferences. These conditions come under the umbrella term of; Autistic Spectrum Disorders for a reason (because it is so wide/broad and diverse) :) You don't have to have every single trait to be diagnosed as an Aspie/HFA/PDD-Nos/ASD...       

L Lawliet

I'm very expressive in my face and I used to show things to people when younger. In fact, my psychologist found it more interesting that when I used to show something to my mum that I had made, she used to praise me and say "that is very good!" and I used to reply with "I know!" and walk off :P

(deleted)

In fact, my psychologist found it more interesting that when I used to show something to my mum that I had made, she used to praise me and say "that is very good!" and I used to reply with "I know!" and walk off :P

I would be interested in seeing some elaboration of that.

Anyway, in principle do you think that it is common for aspies to share things? Is that not what infodumping is all about???

HoleInTheEarth

I'm very expressive in my face and I used to show things to people when younger. In fact, my psychologist found it more interesting that when I used to show something to my mum that I had made, she used to praise me and say "that is very good!" and I used to reply with "I know!" and walk off :P

I smiled. ^_^

(deleted)

Another reason is because I have two friends and I get on with both of them quite well and when we're together I actively participate in the discussion/activity/whatever-we're-doing-together. But as far as I'm concerned that is again what I would expect from an aspie because the one is an adult who is very knowledgable and interested in one of my obsessions (and he's intelligent as well) and the other one is the same age as me but he's very likely an aspie as well and again we share common interests (he's grown up a similar way to me as well so we like to talk about our experiances with that as well - and he's also intelligent and thinks very similarly to me and he also has a lot of the same peculiarities as me so we get on very well). As far as I'm concerned those are the kinds of friends which I would expect an aspie to get on with - the fact that I have a few friends who I actively interact with doesn't mean that I can't be an aspie, am I correct?

Edited by invisible

HoleInTheEarth

As far as I'm concerned those are the kinds of friends which I would expect an aspie to get on with - the fact that I have a few friends who I actively interact with doesn't mean that I can't be an aspie, am I correct?

I keep seeing a similair theme around these posts. Is this you trying to convince people your autistic, or trying to convince yourself? I ask because you seem to post about not being one, being one, not being one, and so on. :unsure:

(deleted)

I am not trying to in any way discuss my own aspieness or non-aspieness; I am trying to discuss my mother's ideas of what is and isn't Aspergic. However a degree of uncertainty as to my own position on this matter may be coming across because I am myself uncertain about this matter and so sometimes I write from the point of view of being an aspie and "why can't my mother see that this thing is something that an aspie would do?" taking examples from what I do and other times I write from the point of view of not being an aspie and saying things like "am I correct that this could be an indicator that I am actually an aspie?" taking example from other things that I do. Sorry I don't think that I've been very clear there which is annoying because I was actually trying to keep this thread properly-written to avoid rubbish answers but I seem to think that what I'm trying to say is that if I am writing about something which I think makes me an aspie then I write as if I am an aspie and if I am writing about something which I think makes me not an aspie then I write as if I am not an aspie.

In any case I would prefer it if that was not made the focus of this thread, or even a matter under discussion therein.

Dr-David-Banner

Beware of generalisations. Some people were saying Einstein couldn't have had autism since he was charming and apparently had a sense of humour. Well, so what? I've known people with aspergers who did have a great sense of humour. Or another one I heard last week is aspies who are leaders can't be aspies. However, it's pretty certain Socrates as described by Plato was on the spectrum (albeit ancient) and I seem to recall he did have a large following (Plato included).
I get this all the time. I often appear to laugh and joke and can seem very normal (even make eye contact). Yet this is far from the whole story. The only people I ever did tell I was on the spectrum basically scoffed so now I keep it to myself. As has been said before here, if you really feel totally different and you have a real hard time doing normal things and fitting in, it is something you know for sure. People who are really different just know. Heavens, even my dog knows I'm different he just acts different with me than with other people, yet, my mother also wouldn't accept any of it.

(deleted)

That's fine but I'm asking if any of you think that her reasons are in any way valid because I cannot discuss this matter with her further until I can present a reasonable argument presenting all of my explanations as to why she is wrong.