blacktiger911

Ebola

blacktiger911

:mellow:so Ebola hit the U.S. a day ago and now they are saying there could be up to 100 cases already but no confirmed sickness yet the one person that has it has been quarantined and he only came in contact with 5 kids from a school who are being watched right now to see if they develop any sickness this is serious and really bad. if Ebola starts here it could rip through America into Mexico, Canada, Alaska, and maybe even south America killing thousands. :(:unsure:

King_oni

Well... what's worth considering is how Ebola spreads. As far as I know it's not airborne and only goes by bodliy fluids. The main reason why it spread like wildfire in Africa is because of poor hygiene and such. 

Granted, the US (or any other developed country) will have to put some resources in it to contain it, but I doubt it spreads as fast and easy as it did on Africa.

vcq14

I live in Texas...Soooo not surprised that people here dropped the ball..."oh well, good enough" is the order of the day here. Sounds like things were bungled at several steps / levels (yesterday I read his family in Dallas was quarantined in the apartment with soiled sheets and towels that Duncan used...am guessing it's been transmitted to everyone in that apartment.)

Nesf

Yes, ebola is worrying, and is already a huge issue in some African counties... if the 5 kids or anyone else in the US who came into contact with that one person shows signs of contracting it, then it has the potential to spead and become a serious threat. Let's hope that nothing comes of it.

King_oni

I ran into this article today

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=science

In short; Ebola is as contagious as Hep C and it would be easier to get an HIV infection.

I suppose that the way you get infected does come in account, but as I posted earlier; bodily fluids... I wouldn't worry too much about it IMO

collectingrocks

Just practice normal safe hygiene and keep your immune system in tip-top condition.

dandelion

hm... blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) ... I think this is a little more scary... 

(deleted)

Particularly seeing as they bleed a lot when they get this thing.

vcq14

Apologies for the multiple posts above; finger hit the "submit" button one too many times on my phone!!

As our colonel said, the only bodily fluids you should be touching are your own ;)

Nesf

There's now a confirmed case in Spain, and God knows how many people this person was in contact with. This is getting very worrying :unsure: