(deleted)

Having difficulty with meditation...

(deleted)

I'm trying to do some basic meditation but every time I just start relaxing I find that I need to stim. It's really annoying because how am I supposed to breathe calmly when the passage of air through my nose makes me need to stim with my nose??? I've tried Googling for things related to aspies and meditation but I couldn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

invisible

collectingrocks

I don't know, but it sounds like you have gotten into a habit with your stimming which must obviously do something to comfort you. Perhaps you just need to learn and practice slow, gentle breathing?

No Longer Here

Do you use Mala Beads? If not it might be worth trying them. Use them like an Abacus and move one bead along for each breath.

vcq14

I find that meditation takes away my need to stim...

And look, someone's written a book on meditation and Aspies! http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book/9781849053860

Also found this thread over on WrongPlanet: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt173212.html

Sorry, have to dash, I will be off the forums for the next couple of weeks.

I'll leave you with my favorite meditation track, this is the Hannya Shingyo, or Heart Sutra, as chanted in Zen Buddhism. I had the opportunity to visit Kokedera Temple in Kyoto and had to write out the entire sutra longhand (in kanji!) but wouldn't have traded the experience for the world!

Edited by vcq14

the-commander

I'm trying to do some basic meditation but every time I just start relaxing I find that I need to stim. It's really annoying because how am I supposed to breathe calmly when the passage of air through my nose makes me need to stim with my nose??? I've tried Googling for things related to aspies and meditation but I couldn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

invisible

i recomend you mix the asian philosophy with a little jamacian phillosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HXHzMnA4o

however if you have more conservative values or have meds that might interact with it poorly (ill admit that i havent done this for that reason) i suggest doing it outside and trying to focus soley on your meditation. 

Edited by the-commander

the-commander

seriously though: reagae helps me meditate.......what did you think i was refering to ;)

(im being serious about the reagae. im being serious about the other part to but to a lesser degree)

(deleted)

I had seen that book come up in a few Google searches but it seems to be more focused on the benefits to aspies of carrying out meditation not a how-to guide for meditating if you're and aspie. I also saw the forum thread - same thing really.

I don't know, but it sounds like you have gotten into a habit with your stimming which must obviously do something to comfort you. Perhaps you just need to learn and practice slow, gentle breathing?

Yes stimming is comfortable but when you're trying to meditate it's rather disruptive LOL!!! And the problem with slow gentle breathing is that breathing like that makes me need to stim which just makes the problem worse. By the way my friend who's also very likely an aspie says that he finds that meditation helps to reduce his stimming at other times of the day (although he doesn't call it stimming - he calls it "making funny noises" LOL!!! - and in any case he didn't say anything about stimming during meditation).

the-commander

I had seen that book come up in a few Google searches but it seems to be more focused on the benefits to aspies of carrying out meditation not a how-to guide for meditating if you're and aspie. I also saw the forum thread - same thing really.

Yes stimming is comfortable but when you're trying to meditate it's rather disruptive LOL!!! And the problem with slow gentle breathing is that breathing like that makes me need to stim which just makes the problem worse. By the way my friend who's also very likely an aspie says that he finds that meditation helps to reduce his stimming at other times of the day (although he doesn't call it stimming - he calls it "making funny noises" LOL!!! - and in any case he didn't say anything about stimming during meditation).

you dont need to limit yourself like that. try just looking up how to meditate or something.  

did you try the reagae? im fucking serious about the reagae man. it helps you calm down a lot. definatly works for me. seriously listen to reagae for a bit. then go outside. (i dunno where in the world you live so obviously if youlive in the middle of arizona this is going to be a more comfertable idea then if you live in the german alps and i totally get that.) smoke a bit of ganja, or dont (i dont, my doctor said it would fuck with my meds bad so ive never had any). use some incense maybe. and try to focus on the fact that your meditating repeatedly for the next half and hour untill your really calm and kinda thoughtless and stupid feeling and at peace. its hard to explain the state your in when you succeed but beleive me you will know when you get there. just try nd ignore your suroundings. if your to tied up in your world you wont be able to do it. ignore any advice about aspie whatever the fuck you curently think you have or have been diagnosed with or whatever behind. thats part of why your not able to do it. 

Edited by the-commander

Dolphin

seriously though: reagae helps me meditate.......what did you think i was refering to ;)

(im being serious about the reagae. im being serious about the other part to but to a lesser degree)

A bit off topic, but I also listen to reggae and I'm glad you've introduced me to that song :P

I hadn't heard it before

(deleted)

you dont need to limit yourself like that. try just looking up how to meditate or something. 

If you actually bothered to read the thread you would see that I am asking about meditation specific to aspies. More specifically, I am asking about difficulties with stimming during meditation. And that book is not going to deal with that, and neither is a general how-to guide on mediation. I'm looking for information regarding aspies, meditation and stimming.