Scaly Piscine

Scrabble

Scaly Piscine

Get the quick plug out of the way:

I'll be in Marbella for 11-18 April organising/refereeing an event with Mind Sports International. Should be fun. Particularly as I'll probably doing a 24 hour record attempt a few days later.

1-2 June I'm holding an in York - I'm doing ALL of the work for it. This is the website: http://www.absp.org.uk/calendar/york/index.shtml

If anyone is interested or curious about the club/tournament scene just ask.

So aside from that does anyone play the game? Whether on camping trips, on the kitchen table, Facebook or wherever. The reason I got so heavily into it was I felt like it trumped every other game out there. It has far more depth than most other popular games, which are essentially focused on just one or two aspects. Like chess is pure logic. Poker is largely luck and bluff. Backgammon is a solved maths game. Bridge is calculated risk and logic. These games are also repetitive in terms of gameplay.

What do others think? 

Sofi

That is very interesting. Yes, I really enjoy scrabble. I mainly just play it with my mum and sometimes on Facebook! When I was at school, I often played scrabble with my teacher (this was a special school, so a bit different) and she was often amazed at my ability. However, I doubt it is anywhere near your ability level. I find my brain works well in scrabble as I feel my brain works very well with letters and words, while it has almost no ability with numbers so a game such as Backgammon, for example, would be lost on me! I have Dyscalculia, which seems to result in these difficulties with numbers. Letters and words are so simple for me! Scrabble is a completely different game every time you play and as you say, other games are repetitive. You can gain so much knowledge from scrabble. 

I really like York too, it is such a nice place to be and I somehow feel relaxed there. The last time I visited was in October 2011 and we visited the Viking Centre again, which I love. This club looks great  :)

Andy

Scrabble I used to play at work, it got serious and it was hilarious where I would create a word only to hear;

That's not a word !

Yes it is, go on there's the computer go and check it and learn something.

Grumble grumble, where do you get all these words from ?

I don't know I just pick them up as I go along where I actually like words I intone them to hear their sound and where I don't know what they mean I look them up to find out what they mean and I am also interested where the word came from, it's etymology, then I put them out of my mind until such times they are needed and they just pop into my head when I need them. It's just something I have always done, why, I don't know, it's just me in my capacity to be boring.

I always won scrabble at work and this used to incense the competitive in the workforce it used to send them nuts and they would forever be challenging to another game, even the manager and so dinner breaks used to get extended by hours sometimes, where that same manager an area manager used to shout out of his office to me how to spell something or what would be a better word to describe something. But he noticed when he asked me such, he noticed I would look up into the air and a word would come where he joked was I getting my input from god ? No, I see words and that is how I remember spellings or can analyse a spelling from the sound of the word once intoned.

But I haven't played word games for years.

spiderwoman0_2

I'm rubbish at scrabble and all other board games come to think of it and always lose.  I do however love snakes and ladders and frustration/ludo :D

Toran

Scrabble is the worst game ever because I cant spell lol im terrible with words always getting them wrong when I did play when I was younger I was always accused of trying to cheat

iggy

I've never played scrabble...

My family tended to play monopoly, which lasts a few evenings and then no one wants to play any board games for quite a while.

Nesf

Yes, I like to play Scrabble. I play with my mum and we're quite evenly matched :)

Willow

Me and Chris love Scrabble, but we've not played for a long time now! At one point we played every day :D

Heather

I like scrabble.. haven't played it in a long time though!  When my family went to my grandparents house we would play a lot of board games.. and when we'd play scrabble though we'd play it different to the normal game.. my grandparents collected scrabble pieces and we played a made up version of scrabble that in my mind, was way better! lol  :P  We all got a certain amount of scrabble pieces to begin with that we could turn over so we could see which letters we had, and the rest of the pieces were in the middle of the table turned over so you can't see what there are.. and when you begin, each person tries to do their own scrabble game, words have to be connected and actual words like a normal scrabble game, and I think we usually agreed "no names/proper nouns"... and when someone uses up all their pieces they say "pick up" and however many we decide people pick up (maybe 4?)  and then use them up and when all the pieces are used up, the first person to use up all their pieces and have all correct words "wins" I think.. it's hard to explain, I haven't played it in ages.. but it was quite fun.. no boards are needed.. but I've also played regular scrabble and it's fun too. :)

mary

I always felt that board games had a great name, just spelt wrong, as they all bored me to death.  I really cannot stand board games... sorry!!