RiRi

Why are Aspies self-centered?

RiRi

For the most part, do you think you are self-centered? Why? or Why not?

L Lawliet

Because I struggle understanding how others feel, I can act very selfish at times. I do find that a lot of the time, I think things should be done my way or not at all, but then at the same time I feel that I do a lot for others too. I often think I do a lot for others because i understand that it's the right thing to do, not because I feel that I should.

So yes, I am quite self centered but I think I balance it out with the nice things I do for others too, it's just all on my terms when ^_^ It's one of my least favourite parts of myself. ASD makes us selfish :(

Bruce

Not really. I do listen to people talking about their interests and so on. More than most do in return, actually!

imleih

i can be "selfish" when i don't realize it. i think because i'm so bad at reading people and understanding people that i just unconsciously ignore them...but when i'm aware i will put people before me always. but then again, i don't socialize enough to be selfish or selfless often...lol

The Id

For the most part, do you think you are self-centered? Why? or Why not?

Yes. The origin of the word autism means self-ism.

When we are conditioned to have more interest in solitary things than social things then we will gain a greater knowledge and familiarity with our self. It isn't conceitedness or egotism, it is just a case of being more familiar with internal things than external ones.

Like others, I'm not good at talking about things outside my obsessions so I tend to spend time with people who also enjoy the things I do. That way I can talk about "their" interests easily and in great detail.

Xenolith

Sounds like a perfectly rational frame of mind. I am me so surely the centre of my life should be myself?

Asgardian

I am often self-centred, especially when I don't realise or mean to be. I am not purposely selfish but because I am thinking about so many things that I am worried about, the problems of others often, unintentionally, slip my mind.

It is something that troubles me because I do not want to be self-centred.

Just a thought, though, as Aspies I think we should feel less guilty about being self-centred than people who are NT because, as The Id said, we are naturally inclined to be more solitary because of Aspergers/autism. It is not something we strive to be but unfortunately often are.

Sedge

I'm no more self-centered than anyone else out there. Just because I'm more solitary, that doesn't mean I'm less concerned with the world outside of myself than those who lie, cheat, steal, commit adultery, break promises, flake, ignore, insult, and use other people (see: most) and deserve a negative label for it.

Nesf

Unfortunately yes :( I've been told that I'm egocentric.