Myrtonos

Who here had any urgent symptoms as a child?

Myrtonos

What do you want from us "mainsmtream" Auties? Now we're adults, I don't see what difference it makes, especially here!

This thread is not asking you "mainstream" auties anything? It is asking who here is not.

When I started this thread, I was hoping that anyone who went through school normally (even if they struggled more than the general population) and have acheived the success they've had without a mentor, wouldn't have anything to say in this thread, at least not until it became well established by comments from those who are less normal and (at least to people who know them personally) are more obviously autistic. And apart from me, the OP, Sofi is the only such poster who has commented in this thread.

I also explained the distinction at the start of the thread between mainstream autistic and other, trying to say what I meant by going through school normally (that is without an aide, and no more special-ed than typical of schoolchildren not on the spectrum), and explained that those needing a mentor to gain successful relationships also count.

Edited by Myrtonos

Bruce

Maybe Sofi is the only member here who is ""non mainstream". There's other forums where you get more such people, if you want. Wrong Planet?

Myrtonos

And yet she was the third poster in this thread, the second being someone only diagnosed more recently and appearing to have quite a normal life in relation to anyone needing an aide in school or a mentor keeping them on track, even if not in relation to the general population. I was hoping Sofi might not be the only non-mainstream poster here and hoping that the sceond post in this thread would be by either her or someone else who is non-mainstream. And she has only made one other post in this thread. I was hoping we would get this dicussion going before mainstream ones had anything to say. No, even wrong planet is dominated by mainstream autistic people, they even have some NT posters, and even had one who was diagnosed with AS when in high school but no longer meets the criteira, and thus seriously mainstream.

The Id

I don't really understand your concept of mainstream autistic. Is there really such a category?

I didn't go to school a whole lot but that was before much was known (or cared) about autism locally. There was more than a decade to go before it would get acknowledged as a real condition that some people can't just snap out of. Not quite sure how your category applies to people that didn't have carers and helpers and special ed etc because they simply didn't exist when we were at school.

What category do I go in since I didn't go to school normally, didn't have carers etc because they weren't available, and yet still have a marriage and a career that supports myself.

Myrtonos

Did trunacy laws exist your country when your were of schooling age? I would imagine that helpers, special ed, and especially mentors did exist well before 1991. It is evident that such a categry exists because Temple Grandin, who grew up at a time when little was known about ASD was diagnosed and labeled with "brain damage," while people like people like Nicola Tesla, Albert Einstein, Virginia Woolf, Woody Allen, Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa, Neil Young and Tom Waits, all now believed to be on the spectrum were not, and little was known about ASD in their early fame years, let alone their pre-fame lives, yet the did not seem get diagnosed with anything like that, such as cold mother syndrome. Point of fact, at that time, before the internet, it was unusual for non-notable people (other than radio ameteurs, and maybe other radio operators) to interrract with people one didn't know personally.

Bruce

The other question is how many of the posters here were incorrectly diagnosed or would have been a lot better off if our symptoms had been more severe...

L Lawliet

The other question is how many of the posters here were incorrectly diagnosed or would have been a lot better off if our symptoms had been more severe...

I suppose it also could come down to how well we can hide our symptoms as well. I can't hide a meltdown. The most I can do is run to a quiet place where I'm alone before it happens so no one sees but if that option isn't there I'll have a meltdown in a public place.

L Lawliet

And yet she was the third poster in this thread, the second being someone only diagnosed more recently and appearing to have quite a normal life in relation to anyone needing an aide in school or a mentor keeping them on track, even if not in relation to the general population. I was hoping Sofi might not be the only non-mainstream poster here and hoping that the sceond post in this thread would be by either her or someone else who is non-mainstream. And she has only made one other post in this thread. I was hoping we would get this dicussion going before mainstream ones had anything to say. No, even wrong planet is dominated by mainstream autistic people, they even have some NT posters, and even had one who was diagnosed with AS when in high school but no longer meets the criteira, and thus seriously mainstream.

I didn't think this thread was only open to certain people otherwise I wouldn't have been the second poster. I'm sorry you don't value my input <_< Maybe private message the people you want to discuss this with instead of starting an open thread or make it clear you only want to hear from certain people?

Myrtonos

I didn't say this thread was only open to certain people. The point of this thread was to ask who here had any of the urgent (not just critical) symptoms as a child, needed a aide all through school, etc. It's not about discussing it with any specific people, but asking who here is not, it had to be an open thread. Private messaging only works if you are writing to a specific poster or specific posters, but in this case if was about asking if anyone meets a given critera, that is different from asking specific posters anything.

I am not suprised Sofi is an example, but other than that I wasn't sure if there might be the odd poster here who, for example would not be competent enough to post here without a mentor keeping them on track? When someone wrote that Sofi might be the only member here who is not mainstream, I then pointed out that she wasn't the second poster here, but rather the third. If she is indeed the only member here and the thread turned out the way I hoped, she would indeed be the second poster, but not necessarily the only other poster in this thread. But that hope is not the same as only wanting to hear from her about this. I was hoping to first hear from any member here who is not mainstream autistic, not necessarily Sofi, and maybe then from other members here.

Sofi

Ok... well I get it and there are not many non-mainstream Autistic  (I didn't know that phrase until this thread) on this forum, thats why you won't get many responses from others like me in this thread.  I've always felt different from others here because of it. Ive started to think recently that Aspergers that these people have is very different to how my condition affects me 
Yes I went to a special education school from age 5 until 17 so all my school  there were others there who were less able than me and I was actually one of the most able and most of them never learnt to speak but I did but my voice was so unclear for a long time then it was ok and now I'm fine with speech most of the time. I had behavioural problems when i was a child too
I will reply to your PM Myrtonos sorry I have been busy