Willow

What age did you get diagnosed?

StormCrow

I was Diagnosed with AS at age 27 and I'm 30 now

I had ADD through school so I think most of my weirdness was associated with that,

but the AS diagosis was good because It made more sense to me.

The things that I observed with other ADD people were not the same with me (if that makes sense). 

Willow

It seems like a lot of people get diagnosed in their late teens. I wish there was something more prominent in an Aspie child which prompted people to look for a diagnosis earlier.

As a child I was very quite around people, although my Mum said I was extremely agitated as a baby and would cry all the time. I played alone, with toys other children didn't find interesting, or I would play with them in a way they weren't intended for. I was quick to learn and knew my number and alphabet before I started school and progressed through the levels of reading very quickly. But none of these are classed as negative things, at least, not enough to spark any attention from school or therapists. :( 

What were like as a child, those of you who were diagnosed in their late teens?

Fireandshadows

@Erythrura:

It's interesting to see that everyone here was diagnosed fairly 'late'. Did most of you realise that you had Aspergers before you were officially diagnosed? Did you receive any support after your diagnosis? 

I had never even heard the term Aspergers until my brother was getting re-diagnosed and I read a book my gran had about it. It was probably about 3/4 years from realising I had it until I got diagnosed. I haven't really received any support since then.

@WillowHope:

What were like as a child, those of you who were diagnosed in their late teens?

As a child, I was also very shy and 'highly-strung' as my teachers put it. Apparently, I used to scream at my step-grandfather whenever he got me from pre-school. I think that because I totally didn't understand his sense of humour or where he was coming from, it made me unbearably anxious. Playing with toys consisted of organising them over and over, or playing through the same scenarios again and again. I had hyperlexia as a child, meaning I went from very low-level reading to reading perfectly competently overnight, but without necessarily understanding everything I read. I only ever had one close friend as a kid.

specialstar

I was diagnosed with autism at age 14, at age 12 they said i did not fit the criteria for asperger syndrome. at the time at special school I never knew i had this until age 16 but i was quite shocked and had to do a lot of research on this to help me understand myself better. I would saying having a diagnosis has helped me to control my behaviours that i was always getting into trouble. 

skeiner

I was diagnosed at age 21. I was quite happy that an expert told me, that the way I am is due to autism and not just "wrong".

What was the reason for you to go to a therapist or doctor to get diagnosed?

KnarlyDUDE09

I was diagnosed in October of last year, just after I turned 17. For a while it felt good and for a while I felt a sense of relief; I finally began to feel a sense of self worth, and that I was different- not tainted, for a reason...But now I feel rather negative about it; I get no support from anyone, at all- nothing has really changed. :(

Willow
I was diagnosed in October of last year, just after I turned 17. For a while it felt good and for a while I felt a sense of relief; I finally began to feel a sense of self worth, and that I was different- not tainted, for a reason...But now I feel rather negative about it; I get no support from anyone, at all- nothing has really changed. :(

I didn't really get any support either. The best thing you can do is look at what stops you from doing things you enjoy/things you need to get done and figure out a way to cope with it better. I know it's hard, but once you can start to break through some of the barriers, it gets easier. And, to be fair, I'm not sure what support is actually widely available.

Anon

I have a question that I have always wanted to know the answer to: I have aspergers, but does that make me autistic? As in, people with autism are autistic, but are people with aspergers also autistic? Like would I (not that I'd want to) be able to say that I'm autistic?

Willow
I have a question that I have always wanted to know the answer to: I have aspergers, but does that make me autistic? As in, people with autism are autistic, but are people with aspergers also autistic? Like would I (not that I'd want to) be able to say that I'm autistic?

This is what I've always wondered - I just say Aspergic - but it only works if you pronounce Aspergers with a soft 'G' instead of a hard 'G'.