Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben

R.I.P Joe Weider

Ben
Toran

I didn't know anything about him but glancing at the article he made a big difference to many people's lives and promoted health and fitness. That is a vocation not a job and all the people who he touched will. Remember him and keep him alive in their hearts for the person he was and what he did.

Andy

Lots of products attributed to him, I do remember, but he died at age 93, not bad, and perhaps he was fitter than most at that age, who knows?

But body building and the lengths some go to achieve what they do including taking hormones I personally fear, what's the point ?

I worked on a construction site once, well, really civil engineering and we had a young lad heavily into his body building, in the warm weather he had the looks but come cold weather he couldn't function his strength was sapped to be surpassed by what looked like out of shape older men. What it was, these seemingly out of shape men were very strong, they had to be for the job they did for everyone has heard of the Irish navvy, for they were tunnelling miners they dug tunnels by pneumatic clay spade and hand and used brawn to lift tunnel ring segments into place, ( I could move a segment by rocking make and forth just), these people lifted them onto their back and used their leg muscles to lift them into place.

The young body builder despite looking the part was totally inept compared to these seemingly out of shape looking miners with a permanent hang over as they drunk lots, but what the miners had was muscle covered by a good layer of fat, fat keeps muscles insulated in all weathers ready to function, the body builder through looking the part had no fat covering his muscles so when the weather turned cold he was all injuries.

And so I understand body building is purely cosmetic, one needs fat to insulate muscles to be useful in strength and where body builders lack fat, they are generally all muscle and very little action, because in cold climates as we have in this country, what's the point of muscles if they cannot perform in all weathers?

Many who obsess about fitness training do admit they are addicted to the endorphin rush which is what occurs when they are in the zone.

My exercising I experience the zone but it is more meditation orientated than muscle and so, why I like music when I exercise because of one thing; tarab, when one attains tarab one is moving in perfect harmony with the music, a trance like state, it's bliss !

But, each to their own

Ben

We're not all pill pushers, and steroid junkies. You do know that right? I for one have never taken anything more than my B's, my C's, fish oils, zinc, and magnesium. The rest is pure solid food.

I'm naturally a small guy, so I've had to work hard, and eat a lot. Been training since I was 17, and I'm yet to put on 30lbs of muscle.

The guys that do take gear? Their usually genetically gifted in the first place, and the drugs are just extra, so they have the edge when competing. Of course if the average gym rat was to take anything, with no intention of competing, then, well, their idiots.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.