thegingerone

Falling behind

thegingerone

Right now, I and majorly behind on all my school work and I don't know how to get back on top of it all (and stay there).

I am coming towards the end of my first term in year 12 and have not exactly adjusted to the step-up from GCSE to AS.  I knew I would be getting more work and I was prepared to do it, but it's just not happening.  I would say that about 80% of my homework has been done the night before the due date (including essays) and I'm putting off work constantly.

It's not that I'm being lazy, I just can't concentrate on my work and because of problems I have with managing my time, it doesn't really register with me that I'm falling behind until I have multiple pieces of homework all due in on the same day and not nearly enough time to do any of it.  This leads to me getting overwhelmed by my work and not be able to do it to the point where I almost convince myself that I don't care.

This was already a huge problem for me and I have been really struggling since the term started, but I missed a day last week due to a funeral and I have been off school ill today.  Even though I have 2 pieces of work due tomorrow, one that was due today and one that was due last week on the day I was off, I haven't started a single one and I can't motivate myself to do so.

Is anyone having a similar problem or has done in the past?  Any advice?

Auletes

You need to be organized right from the beginning of the term.

I have a big sheet of paper on my desk where I see 4 weeks at once. I note all homework and test on it.

I estimate how much time I will spend on each homework, add one week and then note when I want to do what. I also learned to prioritize. Not every essay needs to be reread five times. And it's important to make realistic plans. I used to plane like this: School from 8.00am-6.00pm, homework form 7.30pm-9.20pm. I constantly got frustrated that I was exhausted after two days. Nowadays I try to make way more realistic plans.

For the spirit it helps to plan leisure time as well, like Friday, 4.00pm-6.00 watch tv show xy.

At least that's the theory.

Sometimes I still get overwhelmed by everything. I get sick, exhausted, what ever and all my organization falls over.

When I realize that if I'm loosing overview over all my work, it's very important to get organized again instead of meddling through somehow and then realize you missed something.

If you can, get help to get organized. I often ended up sitting in front of my mother on the kitchen table crying that I everything was too much to do but when I had a clear look at it, it didn't feel that much anymore.

For the motivation: Find yourself treats for finished homework. "If this is done, I'll get a new book to read. - After having finished this, I will meet my friend and we'll go to cinema...." And I get motivated when I imagine the relieve I get from a finished homework.

And: If you were sick or have been on a funeral, you may ask to you teacher to get more time.

Dingo

I was like that in school, but I can't offer any advice.  Any homework I didn't finish in class would be put off until the night before, if I did it at all.  And when I didn't bother to do it at all, it made it more tempting to not do it the next time, either.  I figured my grades were already hurt from the previous times I didn't do my homework, and it wouldn't be repaired by finishing one assignment. 

I have a lot of trouble managing my time on my own, so I really struggled in high school and university was really bad.

Taylor Lee

You basically just described my whole life in school. I was the same way in high school, and during my junior year, I eventually went to all-online homeschooling. At the time, all I knew I had was ADD, and I felt I might be able to better manage my time. While it was a struggle to manage time due to what I now know is executive functioning difficulties, it was loads better for me because I had more flexibility and didn't have to get up at 7 a.m. every day expecting to have it all done.

I then went to a community college and honestly I don't know how I got through it, except for the help of professors and granting extensions. I never got the hang of time management. This problem presented itself recently as I transferred to a 4-year university, and almost immediately had to drop out. I couldn't handle the course load.

I wanted to tell you you're not alone in this, although I don't know if I have any helpful advice. I've read that at the college level you may only be able to go to school part-time, for your own sanity and to actually absorb things you're learning. My problem is I'll memorize things for a test in a time crunch, and nearly immediately forget the information after the test, leading to more stress and anxiety in the class later on. Maybe you might think about doing less course work at once?

Good luck with everything!

The Id

I couldn't do homework either. At uni I discovered that if I went to the library rather than my desk at home, then I was less distracted by everything around me so it mostly got done. It seems there is quite a difference between how my mind works when at home vs when in an unfamiliar place.

Another thing I discovered was that if I had assignment A due in a few days, I would procrastinate on it by doing assignment B which wasn't due for two weeks. When assignment B was due I had mostly finished it while procrastinating on A. Not ideal but kind of worked.

thegingerone

Thanks to everyone for the responses :).  It's good to know I'm not the only one.

You need to be organized right from the beginning of the term.

I have a big sheet of paper on my desk where I see 4 weeks at once. I note all homework and test on it.

I estimate how much time I will spend on each homework, add one week and then note when I want to do what. I also learned to prioritize. Not every essay needs to be reread five times. And it's important to make realistic plans. I used to plane like this: School from 8.00am-6.00pm, homework form 7.30pm-9.20pm. I constantly got frustrated that I was exhausted after two days. Nowadays I try to make way more realistic plans.

For the spirit it helps to plan leisure time as well, like Friday, 4.00pm-6.00 watch tv show xy.

I can really see how that would work and I do that for some things, but I find it really hard to estimate how long things will take me to do.

(deleted)

My mother forces me to keep up with my education (I'm home-educated) but with everything else I always end up getting behind schedule. For me anyway it's because I procrastinate too much, combined with a rather bad sense of time and the resulting bad time management.

Nesf

Yep, sounds familiar, I remember sitting on Sunday evening trying to motivate myself to do two essays for Monday morning. I really hated writing essays! Or getting up at 4 in the morning to do my maths homework because I had struggled with it the night before and failed to finish it. Now I still work to deadlines, but I do what Auletes suggested and set myself deadlines for finishing things, and give myself treats. Also, I hate having the pressure of unfinished work, and that in itself can be a motivator to get it done so I can finally have time for myself and things I enjoy without feeling guilty.

_MillieMoo

How about making a timetable? You could come up with 'homework nights' after school and sit and catch up on any homework you have to finish. The biggest suggestion I have is to finish your homework the night you get it, that way it's fresh in your mind and you'll be able to complete it to the best of your ability. Remember that it's okay to struggle, but never okay to give up on yourself. I'm sure you'll get there, just keep your head up. Believe in yourself and you're half way there <3

Auletes

Thanks to everyone for the responses :).  It's good to know I'm not the only one.

I can really see how that would work and I do that for some things, but I find it really hard to estimate how long things will take me to do.

It's practice. If you pay attention to it, you may find out some general rules (how long does it take you to read one page...). Teachers tend to give about the same amount of homework from my experience. Better plan too much time and have something ready in case you finish early so your plan won't get messed up.