nichii

I feel like I'm slowly forgetting my own language

nichii

For a while now (it's been worse lately), I've been having trouble thinking of common words or phrases so it's hard for me to explain something. I've also noticed that many words or phrases don't sound correct to me. Like I have to question whether what I'm saying/typing is correct English even though English is my native language. I don't know if it's an aspergers thing, but I heard that it could be related. I used to have the same problem a few years ago also. I was put on risperidone back when I was misdiagnosed and it was able to help me think a lot clearer. My psychiatrist said I can go back on it when I see him again for my next appointment. I'm not sure if it will help, but I really hope it does. It's frustrating when I can't put my thoughts into words.

No Longer Here

Do you speak English where you live? I spent 3 years in Germany, speaking as much German as possible and had similar problems when I came back to England on holiday. I think that my brain had so got tied into the pattern of thinking in English and translating it straight into German that it was confusing to cut that process short once more.

Edited by Andy R

Nesf

Do you speak English where you live? I spent 3 years in Germany, speaking as much German as possible and had similar problems when I came back to England on holiday. I think that my brain had so got tied into the pattern of thinking in English and translating it straight into German that it was confusing to cut that process short once more.

I had that problem too - it can take a while to get back into English mode. Sometimes I speak in another language and I'm not even aware that I'm doing it.

I have this issue too, I stutter quite a lot too. Actually I think it's due to overstimulation or distraction. My brain just goes blank and the word I need just won't come to me. I'm not sure if it's an AS thing or not, by mum does it a bit too.

nichii

I live in the US so most people speak English here, but I don't speak that often so that could have something to do with it. I'm not that close with my family, so if I do say something it will just be a few words to my dad or sister. I only have one friend that I talk to, but because my brain is always locking up and I can't think of anything to say, the conversations are usually one sided with her doing most of the talking. I'm almost always inside, so I'm not exposed to the English language very much. On the rare occasion that I watch TV it's usually something in a foreign language with subtitles, so that's not helping my English. I need to get out more and talk to people.

RiRi

Some of the words in English, my second language, don't sound right for me. When I see them, I think they're spelt wrong or something just doesn't seem right. Sometimes when I try to explain something to someone in English, the words that I'm trying to use don't come to mind. But, the same thing happens to me in my native language, Spanish. When I speak Spanish and can't bring up the word I want to use, I use English and do the same when I speak English. It's like I'm constantly speaking Spanglish from both directions. Sometimes when strictly speaking either I come up with synonyms that aren't really the word I wanted to use. I also stutter when I speak because I feel like there's a better word for the one I used. I'm not sure if it's to do with AS, dyslexia or just how you're saying, not speaking a lot. Direct on the spot speech translation from either language is difficult for me. It's much easier if it's written translation. I tend to type/write more and that's why I'm better at writing than at speaking because I've done it a lot more.

Nesf

I have to speak 4 or 5 languages on a daily basis, and I often start speaking one where I should be using another.

brokenOne

I live in the US so most people speak English here, but I don't speak that often so that could have something to do with it. I'm not that close with my family, so if I do say something it will just be a few words to my dad or sister. I only have one friend that I talk to, but because my brain is always locking up and I can't think of anything to say, the conversations are usually one sided with her doing most of the talking. I'm almost always inside, so I'm not exposed to the English language very much. On the rare occasion that I watch TV it's usually something in a foreign language with subtitles, so that's not helping my English. I need to get out more and talk to people.

Lol i know the feel, almost everything i watched is dubbed nowadays. I watch a lot of anime on Crunchyroll which is imported directly from Japan.

Ben

I have to speak 4 or 5 languages on a daily basis, and I often start speaking one where I should be using another.

So, what language do you yell in when you stub your toe? You're a bit spoilt for choice... 

nichii

Lol i know the feel, almost everything i watched is dubbed nowadays. I watch a lot of anime on Crunchyroll which is imported directly from Japan.

I used Crunchyroll before. It's a good website, but I like to download my anime. I have good internet speed and the quality is about the same either way, but I just prefer to download them. If you use a program like Plex it makes watching stuff more fun. If you name your files correctly it will retrieve the data from thetvdb so you can view the description for each episode and keep track of episodes you've already watched. I don't watch much anime anymore unfortunately. I have nothing against it, but it's hard to sit down and watch something these days. Right now I'm trying to catch up on the Korean drama, Pinocchio. I really like it, but I haven't been watching TV for so long that it's become difficult to get back into the habit of doing it again. One anime I'd definitely like to finish is Tokyo Ghoul. I only made it to episode 4 or 5, but I really liked it.

Whoknows

My cousin seems to suffer from that, too. He needs to use another language to express more emotions, but due to forgetting how to use Spanish.