Nesf

Your first memory

Nesf

What's your first ever memory?

Mine is my mum carrying me in her arms when I was about 2 years old, possibly younger, and putting me on a kind of metal bowl with a towel in it at the doctor's to be weighed :)

Sofi

Very interesting topic  :D

I have two and I'm not sure which came first chronologically. 

One is, when I was probably 3 years old and we went to view our house (the house which I mainly grew up in) and I remember being the same height as the table and seeing a red kids' juice cup on the table and then going out to the garden and seeing a swing/slide playground set. I remember bashing my head on the ground in the garden (I guess I was quite upset being in an unfamiliar place - this was before I was diagnosed and I acted bad) 

Another is at my mainsteam nursery which I attended (probably age 3 as well) and my nose was bleeding and the nursery teacher tied a tissue box to my face with strings hanging from my ears (really weird...) to catch the falling blood. I think my nose might have been bleeding from bashing my head on something else. My mum had to come and pick me up because of the nose bleed and I vividly remember walking out of the nursery with this tissue box contraption! I guess I remember this one in particular because it was probably fairly traumatic event for a 3 year old! 

spiderwoman0_2

I was just about 2yrs old, riding around the police car park on my trike.

iggy

In not sure which came first, either

1. Going to a car boot and the car getting stuck in the mud, or

2. Sitting under a table at my 4th birthday party

Heather

Interesting topic!  I'm not sure which one of these is my  earliest memory, and I was either 3 or 4 because they were both when I was at "pre-school" which I went to for two years.

One was: I would be playing in the "house centre" and then some other kids would come to play and I'd walk away to play on my own.. like to this "beauty" station/vanity mirror thing for kids.

Two was: I was sitting at one of the little tables.. I think colouring or drawing or something, and the teacher came up to me with a plate of snacks (I remember things like celery with raisins and peanut butter and things like that.. kid friendly healthy snacks).  I think I remember her bending down to talk to me with them, also asking why I was by myself or whether I wanted to join.

Later on, I read a preschool report that said something about other kids actually offering to play with me but I declined.  I didn't realized that at the time, I always just preferred to play by myself at pre-school. 

Sofi
Interesting topic!  I'm not sure which one of these is my  earliest memory, and I was either 3 or 4 because they were both when I was at "pre-school" which I went to for two years.

One was: I would be playing in the "house centre" and then some other kids would come to play and I'd walk away to play on my own.. like to this "beauty" station/vanity mirror thing for kids.

Two was: I was sitting at one of the little tables.. I think colouring or drawing or something, and the teacher came up to me with a plate of snacks (I remember things like celery with raisins and peanut butter and things like that.. kid friendly healthy snacks).  I think I remember her bending down to talk to me with them, also asking why I was by myself or whether I wanted to join.

Later on, I read a preschool report that said something about other kids actually offering to play with me but I declined.  I didn't realized that at the time, I always just preferred to play by myself at pre-school. 

That's really interesting Heather, as that sounds like these times were definitely an early inclination to you having an ASD at that young age. But, obviously, you weren't diagnosed until a much older age. 

I certainly didn't play with other kids at the pre-school nursery I went to - I think I just caused complete chaos and the teachers basically told my mum they couldn't have me anymore, which started the diagnosis process. 

spiderwoman0_2
That's really interesting Heather, as that sounds like these times were definitely an early inclination to you having an ASD at that young age. But, obviously, you weren't diagnosed until a much older age. 

I certainly didn't play with other kids at the pre-school nursery I went to - I think I just caused complete chaos and the teachers basically told my mum they couldn't have me anymore, which started the diagnosis process. 

Oh dear, Harry used to cause chaos to by knocking all the boxs with toys off the shelves, I used to pick him up 10mins before the other kids because when they were getting ready for leaving they would get their coats on and sit down on the carpet, Harry couldn't understand why he couldn't leave when he had his coat on and would play up, so I picked him up early.

Sofi
Oh dear, Harry used to cause chaos to by knocking all the boxs with toys off the shelves, I used to pick him up 10mins before the other kids because when they were getting ready for leaving they would get their coats on and sit down on the carpet, Harry couldn't understand why he couldn't leave when he had his coat on and would play up, so I picked him up early.

Yes, I understand his thinking. I think my mum took me in later after the doorway wasn't busy with all the other children coming in and picked me up earlier too, I think they tried lots of strategies but in the end, I think my mum got the impression they just couldn't handle me and she was really worried about what was 'wrong' with me anyway and led to the diagnosis process and then obviously I went to the special school for the rest of my school life! 

spiderwoman0_2
Yes, I understand his thinking. I think my mum took me in later after the doorway wasn't busy with all the other children coming in and picked me up earlier too, I think they tried lots of strategies but in the end, I think my mum got the impression they just couldn't handle me and she was really worried about what was 'wrong' with me anyway and led to the diagnosis process and then obviously I went to the special school for the rest of my school life! 

I was lucky, Harry had one to one from toddler group right through to leaving junior school.

Sofi
I was lucky, Harry had one to one from toddler group right through to leaving junior school.

That is lucky, that is good he was able to go to the mainstream school with the right support. I really wish I could have gone to a mainstream school, I just want to know what it is like, I know I would have been able to deal with it from an older age about 10 if I had one to one with me. I think the school and my mum just wanted to 'wrap me up in a bubble' away from any potential difficulty, but I disagree